Photo

Best 3DS titles for the value? / Is the 3DSXL worth the cost?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Now that I have a job, I've thought about saving up to get a 3DS (as opposed to throwing my money at riot for pretty skins or at nexon for gambling). I just have a couple questions:

Is the 3DSXL big enough to warrant the higher price? Is it too large?

What are some the best titles for how much gameplay you get out of them. The only game I desperately want is the new (remake, but still) Fire Emblem game. I've seen a couple of other titles that look interesting, but I would like some input.

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Xavyrr
Xavyrr

Crestfallen Advent

• Rattata
  • 232 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

For the console...

The 3DS XL is worth the extra cost I believe, the larger model feels more durable IMO, and the 3D Slider won't glitch up, as it has an off clicker, instead of just being as low as possible, I've seen a few of my friends' normal 3DSes(?) 3D sliders mess up so that when you want it to be in 2D, it keeps switching between minimum 3D and complete 2D, and that really messes up your eyes, because the screen keeps changing. The L and R buttons on the 3DSXL also don't break as easily, atleast the ones I've gotten ahold of. Not to mention a bigger screen. But if you take really really good care of a regular 3DS, it should be fine. The 3DSXL is a bit bigger than the 3DS, and it might not fit in your pocket comfortably, if at all. So honestly, it's just what you want out of it, if you want mobility and decent durability (3DSes aren't even close to the durability to that of a GBA/GBC/GB (you can drop those damn things like 400 times and they work better after each drop hahaha), and extreme mobility, go for a regular one, if you are more likely to use it at home, get an XL.

As for games that are worth the price...

Well, Fire Emblem Awakening gets my number one choice, that game is amazing.

Second would be Kid Icarus: Uprising, it's pretty fun, and I still play multiplayer and kick butt.

Resident Evil: Revelations is pretty good, if you like that kind of game.

OOT 3D and Starfox 64 3D are pretty good remakes, I wasn't really disappointed with them, though they have their flaws.

Super Mario 3D Land is fun, though some puzzles "require" 3D, so if you don't like to use the 3D option, it might not be the best choice. 

Oh right, I've heard from a lot of people that Animal Crossing: New Leaf is really good too, but I haven't played it yet.

Edited by Xavyrr, 08 July 2013 - 12:40 PM.

Posted Image

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Fire Emblem: Awakening is not a remake, but yes, it is an excellent game worth your money. If you have not yet, I also recommend Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, and Kid Icarus: Uprising. A couple other games you might want to try but I have not yet are Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D Land, etc.

2rcwyzs.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

There is a new bundle coming out with the XL version for pokemon. Usually with bundles they give a good deal and it really will be worth it. There are many decent games for the 3DS and the system over all is a good system. I haven't played on the XL version, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't like the XL that much, it's a bit bulky and doesn't fit in my pocket like the normal. Then again I've never liked the XL versions. I suggest you go to Gamestop or someplace and ask them if you can hold both devices, they would probably be happy to let you and that way you can get a feel for what you want.

As for the games, I own 7. And I consider them all good.

Luigi's Mansion 2, check out my review of it http://nintendopipel...rk-moon-review/

Kid Icarus Uprising, a very good Star Fox-esque game with lots of customization options.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Logic puzzles, but less word problems then previous games.

LoZ Ocarina 3D, excellent remake with both Regular and Master Quest versions and a boss rush.

Star Fox 3D, it's basically the same game.

Super Monkey Ball, what you'd expect.

Tales of the Abyss, Great RPG with good story and battle system.

hA0AZYy.png

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

That is a good suggestion, to try holding them both. I'd probably mostly be playing them at home, so if it didn't feel awkward, I'd probably go for the XL just for the bigger screen. 

Rhyme, any clue when that is going to come out, the bundle?

I didn't even know LM2 was out already. I may give that a try. I may actually consider Tales of the Abyss even though I already own it just because I find a portable console easier to play with the current set up my room has. Kid Icarus seemed interesting, but I'm not sure how long the game takes to complete. Is the new Animal Crossing worth it? I loved the GCN game, but I never found myself playing the other versions I had (Lost DS one, gave City Folk back because it just didn't amuse me). 

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

That is a good suggestion, to try holding them both. I'd probably mostly be playing them at home, so if it didn't feel awkward, I'd probably go for the XL just for the bigger screen. 

Rhyme, any clue when that is going to come out, the bundle?

I didn't even know LM2 was out already. I may give that a try. I may actually consider Tales of the Abyss even though I already own it just because I find a portable console easier to play with the current set up my room has. Kid Icarus seemed interesting, but I'm not sure how long the game takes to complete. Is the new Animal Crossing worth it? I loved the GCN game, but I never found myself playing the other versions I had (Lost DS one, gave City Folk back because it just didn't amuse me). 

I beat Kid Icarus in about 2 days. It's a short 10-15 hour quest. But it has harder difficulties and a boss rush if completing them is your style.

hA0AZYy.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

I beat Kid Icarus in about 2 days. It's a short 10-15 hour quest. But it has harder difficulties and a boss rush if completing them is your style.

It also has an incredibly large amount of achievements. I gave up trying to complete them all. 8'V

But yeah Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing: New Leaf are definitely worth buying. Theatrythm Final Fantasy is also fun if you're a Final Fantasy fan and/or rhythm game fanatic.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Do you mean Fire Emblem Awakening? That's not a remake, it's a new game. I hear it's very good, too.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is full price, but it'll last you a very long time. I'm really enjoying it and it's the best Animal Crossing yet, but if that's not your type of game, I dunno. It's definitely better than City Folk.
Shin Megami Tensei 4 is coming out soon which should also be pretty long.

All of these are kinda full price, though.

Edited by Keatos, 09 July 2013 - 01:27 AM.

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yeah Fire Emblem: Awakening is a whole new game.

I can attest that the game is very good as well; I have at least 60 hours on the game.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Yeah Fire Emblem: Awakening is a whole new game.

I can attest that the game is very good as well; I have at least 60 hours on the game.

It's a very lengthy game as well; each chapter or fight is about an hour long so far in my records and I'm only 5 chapters in. PLUS, once you're all done with the main story, you still have the bonus DLC maps you can buy, so in order to complete it all, you're going to probably put a good couple hundred hours into it.

2rcwyzs.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

http://www.nintendo....onxy/index.html

In Japan 10/12/13 for US I'm not sure, but here is what it looks like.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

http://www.nintendo....onxy/index.html

In Japan 10/12/13 for US I'm not sure, but here is what it looks like.

It's released worldwide this time around.

2rcwyzs.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Then there you go. Pretty sweet bundle to get!

Innocence
Innocence

keep talking

• Rattata
  • 279 Posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Bought one myself, completely satisfied with it  :dummy: 

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I just reread this thread until I got to my last post here. Derp. :blank:

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Innocence
Innocence

keep talking

• Rattata
  • 279 Posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Also I think Pokémon X & Y have a really good price value, £32, not bad at all for a good game such as this one. Or maybe I'm just blinded with excitement!

PhantomL
PhantomL
  • Bob-omb
  • 91 Posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm not a big fan of XL consoles myself, so I stick with the original. However, its up to you.

Games wise

Fire emblem: Awakening is the best 3DS in my opinion but please be warned that their is a quite a bit of DLC which you need to do to unlock everything

Kid icarus: Uprising is great too and will keep you playing for a while  with the wifi battles and hidden bits

New Leaf is good for replay value and is a big step up from the previous installments

The zelda and starfox remakes are great too.

If you are into puzzle based games then I would get Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask or/and Rhythm Thief. I would nte that you may want to play the previous Layton games before getting miracle mask and that Rhythm Thief is easier, shorter and more music based than Layton.

Mario 3D land is good as well from what I have heard along with Luigi's mansion too and Mario Kart 7 is nice, but the characters are a bit limited but I love Mario Kart titles in general. Mario games wise, those are the only three I would personally reccomend as Sticker Star was poor and New Super Mario Bros 2  isn't really worth the money, in my opinion at least

Don't buy Sims 3, seriously, it is awful.

Edited by PhantomL, 28 August 2013 - 02:17 PM.

020410f3-1211-4a92-a786-2ef9ed3a8861_zps