Photo

General Help Thread?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

I was wondering, since many of us have minor issues in our lives that we need solved and need to resort to Google or some other internet source for our answers to our questions. 

Now what does everyone think of a "General Help" thread where people can go in and ask questions that we'd normally go on Google or whatever search engine for the answer?

For example: I have a question that I feel many of you would know the answer to. How can you get rid of scratches on a Gamecube game disc or a Wii disc?

(Yes this is a real question I am asking you all!)

Let me know what you think, and maybe there is a way to incorporate it into the Pipeline?

And if there is a thread out there that already exists, I apologize because I had no idea and could not find one! :o

:)

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

The only issue with it, is that anyone who gives an answer to such questions will more than likely use Google to find it anyways. So it would essentially be like asking someone else to use Google for you.

Or if someone wanted to be an ass, they'd say, "Google is your friend" as a response, and/or use http://lmgtfy.com to send you directly to a search of it.

But if there are enough people who want a help thread like this, then I'd say go for it. Maybe it'll turn out to be helpful and I could sticky it even.

As for the disc scratches, I'd suggest using a legitimate disc buffer if you have one or can find one. The alternative cheap methods don't really work, like peanut butter or bananas, and especially not toothpaste. Toothpaste is an abrasive and will only scratch up the disc more. Those are all things I've seen through searches over the past years when I've had scratched disc issues myself.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

You're absolutely right about that, Slasher. People will probably end up just using Google anyways. :\

But, I do not have a disc buffer, and that is good to know that peanut butter and all that really doesn't work.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

You could probably find a cheap disc buffer for like 5 bucks. Probably won't work as great as other ones, but if it's just minor scratches, it should do the job.

Though if the entire disc is full of scratches or has deep gouges, then I'd say to just give up on it, as it would probably be cheaper and require less effort to just buy a used game to replace it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thank you, @Slasher! :D

Edited by NintendoQueen, 24 July 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

You're welcome. :p

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler