Photo

Affiliates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

I have no suggestions for specific sites, but you guys could definitely benefit from having some affiliated forums and video game/nintendo related content websites, swapping out little link-boxes somewhere on the forum screen. It would help move in and along some fresh folks, which I would think enrich the forum quite a bit.

I doubt this hasn't come to mind previously, I guess I'm just wondering why it isn't a thing if it's been thought about and decided not to be a thing. Smaller sized forums can benefit a lot from working together with other friendly forums.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

We used to have them. Didn't seem to bring much traffic.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

We used to have affiliates on the homepage, quite a plenty of them. But well, we no longer have a homepage, so... no new spot has been made for them. I believe I tried talking about it with Mage and such, but nothing much was really said about it in response.

I could try and bring them back though. Assuming the previous affiliates still have us added.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

I personally think affiliates look a bit tacky, or at least on the forum index. A homepage would be a much better place to put them, but we don't have one (at least not yet).

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

I personally think affiliates look a bit tacky, or at least on the forum index. A homepage would be a much better place to put them, but we don't have one (at least not yet).

There are other places than just a homepage or forum index though. We could always get creative with it, like making an affiliate page and leaving a link in the footer as a way to get to it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

There are other places than just a homepage or forum index though. We could always get creative with it, like making an affiliate page and leaving a link in the footer as a way to get to it

That's a pretty good idea; I like that.

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

They use to also be in the side navi bar on the index. I liked them there. I joined ZU because of that.

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

I still like the practice of having "affiliates" or "friends", but it does seem to be a dying trend. Specifically, I know Zelda Universe stopped listing them a while back, and I'm pretty sure we aren't planning to add them again (I'd like to do something similar but different...but I'll have to make a strong case for a long time before it happens).

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

I still like the practice of having "affiliates" or "friends", but it does seem to be a dying trend. Specifically, I know Zelda Universe stopped listing them a while back, and I'm pretty sure we aren't planning to add them again (I'd like to do something similar but different...but I'll have to make a strong case for a long time before it happens).

This is what I've experienced from other forums I go to as well - none of them have affiliates and I can't remember the last internet forum that I've seen which had affiliates/friends.

Cam3ron36@NP
Cam3ron36@NP

Retro Gamer/Reviewer

• Rattata
  • 163 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

I joined here because of them back in 2010.  For the record.

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

There are other places than just a homepage or forum index though. We could always get creative with it, like making an affiliate page and leaving a link in the footer as a way to get to it.

You could make them not look tacky. Maybe make the affiliate image a less awkward size and not allow gifs. Or if you remember the thing Kyle did a long time ago with the event images? Do something like that.

Also, for the record, my blog still has an affiliate link to the Pipeline <3

majorasmask.jpg

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Ooooh we should bring back the event links! Those looked awesome. <3

*erhem* I rarely checked out affiliates, so it wouldn't make a difference for me.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

We were actually discussing the event banner links thing earlier. I missed those things myself. :v

As for the affiliates, it's hard to not make them look tacky when we have to use the buttons that they provide. I guess there might be other ways to work around it, but we'll see how that goes. We'll get them back up as soon as we can.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

First of all, what are event banner links?

Also, I don't see an issue with the "friends" or "affiliates" thing. I just have become more picky about what forums I join because I've been to a few not-so-good ones, and this one is the best out there. And if you guys say there is a good forum out there, I will take your word for it. That's all I have to say.

:)

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

First of all, what are event banner links?

Also, I don't see an issue with the "friends" or "affiliates" thing. I just have become more picky about what forums I join because I've been to a few not-so-good ones, and this one is the best out there. And if you guys say there is a good forum out there, I will take your word for it. That's all I have to say.

They were things we used to have to help advertise contests held or Nintendo related events going on and such.

And affiliates are more for the purpose of helping us get our name out there more. Partnering up with other forums of similar interest. Though a lot of the time, people are comfortable with their current forums anyways, and don't join affiliated forums that often. Though maybe we get lucky once in a while with it. Anything helps, even if just a little.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

They were things we used to have to help advertise contests held or Nintendo related events going on and such.

And affiliates are more for the purpose of helping us get our name out there more. Partnering up with other forums of similar interest. Though a lot of the time, people are comfortable with their current forums anyways, and don't join affiliated forums that often. Though maybe we get lucky once in a while with it. Anything helps, even if just a little.

Well I know a few forums you DON'T want to be affiliated with...that's for sure. I'm guessing NP and SideQuesters are affiliated with each other?

:)

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well I know a few forums you DON'T want to be affiliated with...that's for sure. I'm guessing NP and SideQuesters are affiliated with each other?

Lol, we used to have some affiliating requirements somewhere. So we don't go around just affiliating with any site easily.

Sidequesters and NP are not affiliated though, iirc. I was considering it, but most of the members from SQ are here on NP anyways. Not to mention that affiliates disappeared from here before I could get my paid hosting set up for SQ.
Maybe once we get affiliates back up and running here, I could fix that and add SQ as an affiliate here as well as add NP as an affiliate there. There's really no reason not to. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yeah this place and SQ pretty much go hand-in-hand. 8P

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image