Photo

Hello, I'm new! (lengthy intro)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

Icas
Icas
  • Shy Guy
  • 32 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hello hello, I'm new! A friend of mine gave me a link to this site a long while back, so I figured that I'd give it a shot. (Everything looks so polished!)

So... I'll try to be concise. I'm looking for a friendly, mature, and tolerant online community I can hang out with. I'm generally not in any specific geographical location for longer than 4 months at a time, so I prefer to make online friends, and even then people come and go. None of my old Skype friends seem to come online anymore.

I used to be on IMVU a while back, but I didn't get along well with the community there. I left when some harassers targeted me and began stalking me on another online networks as well. I'm also technically on Gaia Online, but when I try to have discuss anything, I feel like the people there are either children fooling around or senior members who just collect the virtual items. Or trolls; gotta love'em trolls! /sarcasm

About Me:

1. I'm a student living in Canada right now.

2. I absolutely love anime, and I enjoy writing reviews once I've watched a series enough times. (I'd love to share some, if no one minds!) I prefer shows with depth to them.

3. I used to game quite a bit. I still play some games on Steam, but I have a Mac now, so my selection is limited. (I was also active on Guild Wars 2 for a long while, until Anet decided to make it another hardcore MMO and the casual players left.)

4. I used to be a Nintendo gamer, but I don't have any of the new systems and I don't feel the need to buy them. (Though I missed out on Fire Emblem, I'm missing out on Animal Crossing, and I'll probably miss out on Phoenix's return. D:)

5. I'm also a furry, but I hope you won't hold that against me. D: (On that matter, I'm also on Furaffinity, but I don't get along that well with the rest of the fandom.)

Personal Anime Trivia:

1. My all-time favourite anime is Steins;Gate.

2. The anime I enjoyed the most was The World God Only Knows.

3. My favourite "casual" anime is Phi Brain.

4. My least favourite "serious" anime is Sword Art Online.

Casual = for casual entertainment, not expecting depth (e.g. non-5D's YuGiOh, Cardfight Vanguard, etc.)

Serious = I expect quality characters and story, like shows where characters don't fight fight with trading cards

So yep, nice to meet you all. :D I hope that I'll like this place enough to stay.

Sunkissii
Sunkissii

Zzzz

• Armos Knight
  • 3,404 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Welcome new member.

That is an awesome intro.

As for the furry thing. It will not be hold against you

because this forum is very acceptable to anyone/everyone.

Plus we have like a couple of furries around here. So, relax.

Also, that's awesome, that we have another steam player.

Alot of us, play games in steam too.

Can't think of anything else.

So, you'll fit here perfectly.

Hope you enjoy your stay. And have fun.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

Welcome! I'm also a member of Gaia Online, but I typically don't check threads outside of my subscriptions (which usually aren't very active). It can be difficult to deal with some people on there. 8'V

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Icas
Icas
  • Shy Guy
  • 32 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

No problem. ^_^ I'm sure other people will post soon.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Welcome to the Nintendo Pipeline!

That's pretty interesting that you say you aren't in one place for any period longer than four months; I guess you have to move a lot because of work?

As for anime, I enjoy it as well but I don't watch a whole lot. Most I've seen of is Pokémon, but I also watch some others like Panty & Stocking, Cross Game, and the first season of Full Metal Alchemist.

I used to be a Nintendo fan as well. Or rather... a huge Nintendo fan as I still am. It's just that I've played less Nintendo games as I did compared to ten years ago mainly due to PC gaming.

Icas
Icas
  • Shy Guy
  • 32 Posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Welcome to the Nintendo Pipeline!

That's pretty interesting that you say you aren't in one place for any period longer than four months; I guess you have to move a lot because of work?

As for anime, I enjoy it as well but I don't watch a whole lot. Most I've seen of is Pokémon, but I also watch some others like Panty & Stocking, Cross Game, and the first season of Full Metal Alchemist.

I used to be a Nintendo fan as well. Or rather... a huge Nintendo fan as I still am. It's just that I've played less Nintendo games as I did compared to ten years ago mainly due to PC gaming.

I'm in a co-op program, so I have to change locations at least once every four months. 

FMA Brotherhood is on my top anime list. It's based on the manga's plot, so it's different from the first FMA anime; I'm not sure how different they are, but I felt that Brotherhood was definitely a solid show.

I wish that more games worked on Mac. D: I love the games I have right now, but the MMO selection is disheartening, especially since the most appealing (i.e. GW2) is primarily populated by people who play for hours everyday.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

"1. My all-time favourite anime is Steins;Gate."

That's good enough for me in my book. Welcome aboard. I do hope you'll enjoy your stay Because there is no escape.

Though must ask, why did you decide to get a mac, knowing that their game selection is awful? :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

Welcome to the club. Do stick around.

Keep an eye out for events and stuff soon.

hA0AZYy.png

Icas
Icas
  • Shy Guy
  • 32 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

"1. My all-time favourite anime is Steins;Gate."

That's good enough for me in my book. Welcome aboard. I do hope you'll enjoy your stay Because there is no escape.

Though must ask, why did you decide to get a mac, knowing that their game selection is awful? :v

I had three pretty expensive laptops that ran Windows, and all of them broke. I figured that I'd give Mac a shot, and I love it.

Welcome to the club. Do stick around.

Keep an eye out for events and stuff soon.

I will! I'm probably going to stick around for a while.

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi hi hi Icas! I'm NintendoQueen.

Nice to meet you. You seem like a nice person; and I hope you do stick around Pipeline. This place really is friendly and pretty much everyone knows everyone here. So it won't take forever for you to get acquainted with us! :D

:)

Icas
Icas
  • Shy Guy
  • 32 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi hi hi Icas! I'm NintendoQueen.

Nice to meet you. You seem like a nice person; and I hope you do stick around Pipeline. This place really is friendly and pretty much everyone knows everyone here. So it won't take forever for you to get acquainted with us! :D

Thanks for the welcome! :D

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

I had three pretty expensive laptops that ran Windows, and all of them broke. I figured that I'd give Mac a shot, and I love it.

expensive =/= excellent.

Sometimes you can find better laptops for about half the price of the more expensive ones. And it'll last twice as long too. You need to know the parts in them and figure out what exactly you want. And as long as you know how to handle computers properly, it should last you a good 4+ years. And if you know how to fix computer issues, which is not all that hard, it'll last even longer.

Macs on the other hand may be made to be durable, but they're like twice as expensive as Windows for the same specs. Plus if an issue does come up, it's pretty much impossible to fix it yourself without taking it in to a repair shop and paying them a ton to fix it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Icas
Icas
  • Shy Guy
  • 32 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

expensive =/= excellent.

Sometimes you can find better laptops for about half the price of the more expensive ones. And it'll last twice as long too. You need to know the parts in them and figure out what exactly you want. And as long as you know how to handle computers properly, it should last you a good 4+ years. And if you know how to fix computer issues, which is not all that hard, it'll last even longer.

Macs on the other hand may be made to be durable, but they're like twice as expensive as Windows for the same specs. Plus if an issue does come up, it's pretty much impossible to fix it yourself without taking it in to a repair shop and paying them a ton to fix it.

I don't have much technical computer knowledge, so I'm not going to pretend that I do. However, based on what was available at the time, the specs on the computers I had were much better than anything else I could buy (assuming that I didn't go for an Alienware or a custom). Also, given my geographical location at the time, I was unable to purchase anything computer-related at a "local" store, and shipping would take far longer than my circumstances allowed.

I haven't had any serious issues with my Mac. I love the operating system, and it's definitely more portable than anything I had before. I greatly prefer it over XP, Vista, and Windows 7, and my friends had nothing positive to say about Windows 8.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ah, I see. Well as long as it works out for you then.

And I have nothing positive to say about Windows 8 either. They turned that into a piece of crap. That's why I'm sticking to Windows 7 until it becomes obsolete, then I intend to go the route of using Linux.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

How bad is Windows 8? I have 7.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

FMA Brotherhood is on my top anime list. It's based on the manga's plot, so it's different from the first FMA anime; I'm not sure how different they are, but I felt that Brotherhood was definitely a solid show.

FMA and FMA: Brotherhood are almost completely different. You've still got Edward and Alfonse, and most of the other major characters make an appearance, but the homunculi have a completely different back story and leader. There are a few key moments that are similar, but the vast majority of the show is different.

How bad is Windows 8? I have 7.

My opinion of Windows 8 is the completely opposite of most everyone else. I absolutely love it. I upgraded my Windows 7 laptop to 8 and it's been nothing but wonderful. The OS still needs some refinement (some of the built in apps aren't the best). And just for clarity, I'm using it on a standard laptop, no touch anything. Just mouse and keyboard. I still do my web and graphic design work and play games on the desktop, but all of my casual computer stuff is in "Metro."

In fact, I'm using IE10 right now with it's wonderful new UI. Full screen, no chrome. I'm a big fan of Firefox (and I still use it on the desktop), but after using IE10 Metro I really wish everyone else would make something similar (of course Microsoft's policies are part of the reason they haven't yet).

Windows 8 isn't perfect, but I say it's a huge step forward. I hope they continue to refine it over the next several years to give us something truly better. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't need the traditional desktop for anything.

I'm a bit different though: I actually enjoy learning new software and user interfaces. I think it's fun. I remember a lot of people being upset when Ubuntu changed everything a few years ago, and I thought it was great. It just a shock when everything changes and you aren't prepared. I did some reading on how things would work on Windows 8, and when I upgraded it was no big deal. It took me a week or so to truly move over to the new UI, but now I find it frustrating going to work and not having it. I catch myself trying to active the hot corners to switch apps/software or open the charms.

The "Start Screen" is really nothing more than a full screen Start Menu with pretty icons.

and of course....

ICAS!

Welcome to the Pipeline! I hope you have a good time! :aww:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I totally came to the thread to welcome you, and got distracted by anime and Windows 8. :meh: 

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Welcome aboard! Whereabouts in Canada are you at present? Is it somewhere cool like Montreal or Toronto or Vancouver?

Trinity
Trinity

Speaks In Animated Images

• Zelda
  • 5,329 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

Gaia Online? IMVU? Furry?
tumblr_mqml8mJRRv1r922azo1_400.gif

BURN HI- nah, I kid.

I just like pushing new people's buttons~

tumblr_m2suvjAHa21r8uyogo1_500.gif
Dunnn mind meeee

Edited by Trinity, 01 August 2013 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

IMVU

ARE YOU A FURRY?

5. I'm also a furry, but I hope you won't hold that against me. D: (On that matter, I'm also on Furaffinity, but I don't get along that well with the rest of the fandom.)

WE DON'T TAKE YOUR KIND KINDLY HERE

I heavily suggest inkbunny instead!

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE