Photo

SwapNote Spotpass discontinued

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

EZLO21
EZLO21

Owner of Zelda 101

• Thwomp
  • 651 Posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

No this is not a very late April Fools Joke and here is the link for more proof:

http://kotaku.com/ni...dium=Socialflow

I repeat "This is No Joke". If you enjoyed Swapnote and the features you had you can blame people who did bad things with it for getting it shut down.

Here is the message you will see pop up on your 3DS Notifications Tab when you clink on it:

Notice about service for Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote

Thank you for your support.

Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.

Nintendo always wants to provide a positive experience for all consumers and limit the risk of any inappropriate activity or misuse of a service. We feel it is important on this occasion to take this action.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience to the many consumers who have been using this service responsibly; however this decision was made considering the point that many minors also use this feature of Swapnote. Thank you for your understanding.

Nintendo will continue to work to ensure more consumers are aware of our Parental Control features, which allow parents to manage their children's experience on our systems. For more information, please click here.

Service stop date: Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013, 7 p.m. PT

Service being stopped: Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote – Sending and receiving notes using SpotPass

Affected regions: All regions where the service was offered

Special Notes services are also stopped

So there you have why in full form.
Posted Image

gbwyoshi
gbwyoshi
  • Blooper
  • 1,304 Posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

This is what is clearly called killing a spider with a nuke. 

The issue is the actual images being sent over the system and not the drawings. Just disable the images unless they were generated by a 3DS game(not the camera app/external source) and there is a simple fix that wouldn't outrage 99% of the community.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

I honestly got bored of Swapnote pretty fast. I wish it was Flipnote.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Not like I ever used Swapnote. There's really no point in it when i have the internet to message people and can easily make my own drawings here if I wanted to. The only thing we'd be missing out on is taking in-game pictures to send really. And even then we could probably save the images and put them on the computer after to show at any time.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

first

swapnote was pretty stupid. it was very clunky, not very user-friendly, and just a very tedious piece of software. it felt like a pain to use more than anything. slow loading times, pointless animations, etc. etc. so personally the fact that it's being discontinued is not a big deal

second

da fuq? i'm confused. what did nintendo expect? if you allow users to send images to each other, dick pics will be sent. it's just how it goes. and minors will do this. it's not like discontinuing swap note will stop pics from being sent, though I suppose it does remove Nintendo from any liability. hell, why are people sending dick pics over swap note any ways? i guess 3d? i dunno. snapchat guys c'mon its practically full-proof.....anyways. still. nintendo just confuses me. its THE INTERNET. i dunno

third

this is just here so it looks like i have three points. happy november

til: nintendo hasn't changed and is still ridiculously stupid with their online policies. hello sony

Edited by Nathan, 01 November 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image

EZLO21
EZLO21

Owner of Zelda 101

• Thwomp
  • 651 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

I got bored of it myself, I never really used it all that much. I just know that people will continue to send dick pics over Miiverse as well. So when the 3DS version of Miiverse hits just watch and see if that don't happen on it either.
Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I actually commend Nintendo for wanting to at least try to keep things family oriented. I mean, when stupid kids exchange friend codes with random strangers online and then complain about non-PG images being sent to them there is really only one solution for Nintendo to keep their own company integrity safe.

hA0AZYy.png

gbwyoshi
gbwyoshi
  • Blooper
  • 1,304 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

I actually commend Nintendo for wanting to at least try to keep things family oriented. I mean, when stupid kids exchange friend codes with random strangers online and then complain about non-PG images being sent to them there is really only one solution for Nintendo to keep their own company integrity safe.

By that logic might as well kill AC:NL.

I think the complaint most people have is there were two options Nintendo had:

1)Kill the image sharing function over Spotpass

2)Kill Spotpass

If they could kill Spotpass remotely why not just remove the abused portion. It wasn't the drawings that were the issue but the images being sent.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Photos weren't the only offensive material being sent. This is the same reason they shut down Nsider several years ago.

Edited by Spin, 01 November 2013 - 12:04 PM.

hA0AZYy.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

I sent and received maybe two or three messages using the application before I got bored of it. Like Nathan said, it's really slow and clunky so even if it was an idea that appealed to me, most likely I still wouldn't have used it.

...I actually wasn't even aware that you could send actual pictures taken with the 3DS' camera until now. My best guess is that Nintendo forgot that they were dealing with these living entities called "humans"; entrusting humans to not send lewd images to random strangers just won't go over well.

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Oh underage dick pics why do you have to destroy everything we love.

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,781 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened already. Ah well, I rarely use Swapnote anyway.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

<is really confused. I love Nintendo, and I guess some small part of me can understand they don't want their beloved game machines to be used for 'evil doings" but do they really think that kids don't have any other method to transmit pictures of whatever. You can only protect people so much and I don't believe we should even be protecting anyone as much as we do now. Let 'em sink or learn to swim.

I loved swapnote to send messages to my best pal of all. 

Posted Image

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,781 Posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

<is really confused. I love Nintendo, and I guess some small part of me can understand they don't want their beloved game machines to be used for 'evil doings" but do they really think that kids don't have any other method to transmit pictures of whatever. You can only protect people so much and I don't believe we should even be protecting anyone as much as we do now. Let 'em sink or learn to swim.

I loved swapnote to send messages to my best pal of all. 

I appreciate that Nintendo cares, but it's really the duty of the owner/parent to prevent getting these sort of messages.

....I really hope this doesn't affect online interaction for future games/software.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

EZLO21
EZLO21

Owner of Zelda 101

• Thwomp
  • 651 Posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

We all know that it will affect it in some way. Because they shut down the FlipNote 3D service in the same way.
Posted Image

Beauseant
Beauseant

And still I am Lady Death, always dressed extravagantly.

• Bulborb
  • 919 Posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

That sucks, i liked to cashually use it...

D5cpUXc.png

BlPltJD.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

I freaking just deleted this thing after they stopped spot pass. What's the point of it especially with Mii Verse.

EZLO21
EZLO21

Owner of Zelda 101

• Thwomp
  • 651 Posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yeah with Miiverse there is no need for Swapnote anymore. But it was nice while it lasted.

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

I did enjoy collecting all the stationary. But I'm at 65 friends so I'd get about 30 notes a day. That was a bit annoying.

EZLO21
EZLO21

Owner of Zelda 101

• Thwomp
  • 651 Posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

I did enjoy collecting all the stationary. But I'm at 65 friends so I'd get about 30 notes a day. That was a bit annoying.

Yeah that was fun to do at times. But I would not get that many messages lol. I got some from you from time to time, and a few others but not 30 something each and every day lol.
Posted Image