Photo

Mother, Earthbound, WTF?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

My brother and I recently got emulators on our phones and we are looking for some good SNES games to play. Well, he came across Mother 2, and asked me about it. All I could tell him was it was something to do with Earthbound.

I know there are some Earthbound fans out there, and could you please give me a lesson on why the games are called Earthbound and Mother? I'm a bit confused.

Thank you! (I didn't know where to put this thread, so I put it in Retro)

:)

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

"Mother" is the original title of the games in Japan. There are three Mother games, but only one officially came out of Japan. This game was called Mother 2, but it was renamed to EarthBound for North American audiences.

If you want to REALLY know why they're called Mother/EarthBound, the games were named after John Lennon's song "Mother" and as for "EarthBound"... I dunno, the games deal with aliens and stuff like that.

Edited by Keatos, 29 December 2013 - 08:35 PM.

Posted Image

gbwyoshi
gbwyoshi
  • Blooper
  • 1,304 Posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Mother-Japan only Famicom game

Mother 2-Earthbound in the US-Super Famicom/SNES

Mother 3-Japan only GBA game

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

The short version is that Mother 2 and Earthbound are the same game, but Earthbound has been translated. 

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

Also earthbound zero = mother 1
There is a US region rom which is the official game that never escaped the last level of development hell, getting it published. The reason was the snes.

Earthbound Zero and Mother 3 (fan translated) are like the only 2 roms nearly accepted by society as a whole to pirate.

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Also earthbound zero = mother 1
There is a US region rom which is the official game that never escaped the last level of development hell, getting it published. The reason was the snes.

Earthbound Zero and Mother 3 (fan translated) are like the only 2 roms nearly accepted by society as a whole to pirate.

EarthBound Zero (which is a fan name for "EarthBound" NES) was not fan translated, the English version that exists is the official English version translated by Nintendo. It was just never released officially and was instead leaked onto the Internet a few years ago.

The first Mother game, however, has been fan translated by way of its port in Mother 1+2 for the GBA. The Mother 1+2 version of Mother 1 is the recommended version of the game to play.

But this is probably more information than NQ needs. :V

Edited by Keatos, 30 December 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Posted Image

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thank you everyone for your answers!

The two different names always confused me. Now I know, and I appreciate your help. :)

Now I'm intrigued as to why they would name a game after a John Lennon song...

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Shigesato Itoi, the creator of Mother/EarthBound, just really likes the Beatles and John Lennon! When he heard the song "Mother", it just really struck him. There are quite a few references to them in the game.

I definitely recommend playing the games (either starting with EarthBound or the fan translated Mother 3), they're really great.

Posted Image

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

Shigesato Itoi, the creator of Mother/EarthBound, just really likes the Beatles and John Lennon! When he heard the song "Mother", it just really struck him. There are quite a few references to them in the game.

I definitely recommend playing the games (either starting with EarthBound or the fan translated Mother 3), they're really great.

That is an awesome reason to name your game. hahahaha.

I will get this game with my new emulator on my phone. Thank you so much, Keatos! <3

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

"Mother" is the original title of the games in Japan. There are three Mother games, but only one officially came out of Japan. This game was called Mother 2, but it was renamed to EarthBound for North American audiences.

If you want to REALLY know why they're called Mother/EarthBound, the games were named after John Lennon's song "Mother" and as for "EarthBound"... I dunno, the games deal with aliens and stuff like that.

the-more-you-know-o.gif