Photo

Pipeline Newsletter?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

I dunno if ya'll have ever heard of MailChimp, but it's a newsletter service that is super user friendly and free to use, and I was just thinking a newsletter might be fun for Pipeline.

It could be bi-weekly or monthly and just have forum news, popular threads, top poster of the month, whatever. I was playing around with MailChimp the other day and made a test newsletter:

140lec.png

You can customize the layout, add social media stuff, etc. It's pretty nifty.

Anyway, just thought I'd suggest it.

majorasmask.jpg

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

My name is NintendoQueen and I approve of this newsletter.

I would really like to see a newsletter because it would be fun to see what sort of big news hits in the Nintendo world (or whatever, as Grooms mentioned). Maybe have some quotes from a few Pipeliners thrown in there as well.

I remember in my high school's school newspaper, a handful of students were asked a poll question and a few answers were featured in the paper. Maybe do that too with a few members here?

Edited by NintendoQueen, 03 January 2014 - 03:34 PM.

:)

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Interesting, I do like the idea

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hmm, I could've sworn I suggested this a long time ago, but everybody turned down the idea and said we don't need a homepage anyway, but I can't find where I mentioned that, so good for you! I like this idea, but we're going to need people to updated it often... Oh, right, I suggested a news team a while ago too, maybe that's what I was thinking of. Ah, well, yay for Grooms!

2rcwyzs.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hmm, I could've sworn I suggested this a long time ago, but everybody turned down the idea and said we don't need a homepage anyway, but I can't find where I mentioned that, so good for you! I like this idea, but we're going to need people to updated it often... Oh, right, I suggested a news team a while ago too, maybe that's what I was thinking of. Ah, well, yay for Grooms!

This is a newsletter though, not a page on the website. Basically once a month an email blast would be sent out to the people registered at the Nintendo Pipeline about the latest most popular topics/threads and some other small things

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Trust me it's a lot of work and gets old fast unless you have help. I do the monthly newsletter on NS2 and a lot goes into each month. It is fun thou and a nice way that staff and users can come together.

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I remember you suggesting the news team, but I don't recall anyone suggesting an email newsletter. Sorry if I did steal your idea though :X

I would really like to see a newsletter because it would be fun to see what sort of big news hits in the Nintendo world (or whatever, as Grooms mentioned). Maybe have some quotes from a few Pipeliners thrown in there as well.

I remember in my high school's school newspaper, a handful of students were asked a poll question and a few answers were featured in the paper. Maybe do that too with a few members here?

I like the idea of quotes for fun, and the poll is a good idea too.

I think the main reason a newsletter would be nice (I forgot to mention this before) is so users who aren't as active can see what's going on from their email and if they see a thread they want to take part in, or that a game night is scheduled, they can come join in and hopefully it will encourage more people to be active :)

majorasmask.jpg

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

And I know I will feel extra special receiving emails from Pipeline. <3

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

It's a neat idea and I like it. But we would certainly need someone to keep up on it. I could probably do it myself, but I have a bad habit of procrastinating until the last minute. Maybe Mage and I could tag team it though if he would like to, and it would help me keep on top of it better myself.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Sure, I'd be open to that. I wouldn't imagine that it'd take too much time once you have a basic template down though. Once you have that, wouldn't you simply swap out the text (and images/screenshots) for the next newsletter? It would also be good to put in reminder dates like game night and podcasts if we ever start those up again

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

I can help out in any way you guys need.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Figuring out the best way to organize the template would be a nice start. And it would be great to have game nights and podcasts start back up again. We can also throw Mafia in there because I'm working on starting that back up too, and generating more interest with would be nice. :v

Also, what would we even take screenshots of?

The newsletter would also be a good way to have little teasers about staff projects. :v

And we could have a featured member of the month, staff picked by those who have made the best contributions or has had the best participation in any events.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

I like this idea. I'll be honest; I get busy and sometimes forget to show my face...but my email is always with me. Having a Pipeline thing would keep me in touch, and give me a nudge to visit if I haven't in a while. :)

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,794 Posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

We used to have a quote feature here, but it was taken down. Having a few quotes a month shouldn't hurt though. 83

This sounds like an excellent way to revive game night and podcasts.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sure, I'd be open to that. I wouldn't imagine that it'd take too much time once you have a basic template down though. Once you have that, wouldn't you simply swap out the text (and images/screenshots) for the next newsletter? It would also be good to put in reminder dates like game night and podcasts if we ever start those up again

Once you have a template made, you can save it and use the same layout for every email, and yes, just swap out text/images where needed. And you can always edit the layout if necessary.

I'd be happy to help with this as well, if you need any help :) And here's that link again: http://mailchimp.com/

majorasmask.jpg

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

I remember you suggesting the news team, but I don't recall anyone suggesting an email newsletter. Sorry if I did steal your idea though :X

I like the idea of quotes for fun, and the poll is a good idea too.

I think the main reason a newsletter would be nice (I forgot to mention this before) is so users who aren't as active can see what's going on from their email and if they see a thread they want to take part in, or that a game night is scheduled, they can come join in and hopefully it will encourage more people to be active :)

Oh, it's no problem, you didn't steal anything! They're all just suggestions, I really could care less if my ideas get used, it's a public forum. But I guess you're right anyway, so don't worry about a thing.

Edited by Bounty, 04 January 2014 - 01:18 PM.

2rcwyzs.png

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

GROOMS! You are a genius. And that's practically the sexiest greatest idea ever.

Either way. I agree with Mage~ <3

Edited by Sunny, 04 January 2014 - 03:54 PM.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

A newsletter would be amazing. I would also love the FB page to be more active. Maybe with news-y stuff as well.

hA0AZYy.png