Photo

Announcing: Awards!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

I just tried to see if there was a way to refine the search by dates of created topics. I only ask because if this does take effect would you want to count past topics or just from the time the award is created? I couldn't find away to separate the topic search by dates.

If this award was to be put in, then I would count all topics/threads a person has made so far

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

While some people do have a hard time creating threads, one of the points of awards is to reward extra effort. For example. to get the Game Night 3 you would have to be at every Game Night for almost four months. For some people that would be really easy, and for others that would be really difficult.

Maybe 25/50/100, but I think it should be bumped up just a tiny bit more

Only about 5 people (that I counted) have over 100 topics, but 4 of them are staff/ex-staff where a majority of their topics deal with announcements or news during times when activity sparks were needed. Rhyme is the regular member with over 100 topics.

Spin is the second highest with 81 topics, since he's always posting video game news. Nobody else has even broken 40 yet, even those that have been here for years. A majority of regular members are still under 25 topics.

Though if we must bump it up a bit, then I'd say 32/64/128. So it's almost like how bit sizes increased for games. Fitting for a gaming forum. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Alright then, 25/50/100 or 32/64/128 - either of them would equally be fine with me. You make a good point though since I was unaware of the amount of threads individual people have made (I was expecting it to be a tad bit higher)

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yeah I'm kinda shocked at how few threads people have made.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

I don't think it should be easily achievable. That would take out the fun of it. I have 82 topics, so already I have beaten both of Slasher's suggestions.

I think 25/50/100 is alright. Maybe another award for the frequency and quality of topics, not only the quantity.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

I don't think it should be easily achievable. That would take out the fun of it. I have 82 topics, so already I have beaten both of Slasher's suggestions.

I think 25/50/100 is alright. Maybe another award for the frequency and quality of topics, not only the quantity.

You'd only be at tier 2 for either suggestion, so that's not really beating them both. Furthermore, just because you make a bunch of news topics for every game that comes out/soon to be released, doesn't mean that everyone else does. After all, you've already been making all the threads for that, so it's not like anyone else can make copy threads. If we took away all your video game news threads, you'd probably only have about roughly 20 non-news threads. I'm not saying to stop or anything, I'm just stating a fact.

So all that has to be taken into account. My numbers couldn't be any more reasonable if I tried. It leaves a lot to be achieved for a forum of this size. Even though the awards shouldn't be easily achieved, they shouldn't be impossibly high either.

Also, "quality" of threads can be subjective. To determine true quality would have to be based off opinion. That would be like only awarding the mafia badge to players who play the better than others. Not to mention the time and effort that would have to go into looking through each topic and judging it's quality.

As for "frequency", not everybody makes a topic constantly. That pretty much speaks for itself, considering most of our members haven't even broken 20 topics yet. And those that have been here for years haven't even broken 40. You, Rhyme, Mage and a few ex-staff are the only exceptions, as explained previously.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shoe
Shoe

I didn't do it

• Bulborb
  • 845 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

All these large numbers and i am just sitting here with my one thread, lol. Yup... Its gonna be 2 soon... very soon

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

Maybe another award for the frequency and quality of topics, not only the quantity.

You won't find any topics of a higher quality than these two!

http://nintendopipel...ness-idea-ever/

http://nintendopipel...eee/#entry39099

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

All these large numbers and i am just sitting here with my one thread, lol. Yup... Its gonna be 2 soon... very soon

Only three threads show up on my profile. 8'V

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

This topic count sounds confusing, I don't think there even should be an award for it. Sounds silly. Some people make spammy topics anyways, and it'd be a pain in the rear to gauge what is "spammy" and what actually contributes to the forum.

:)

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Depends on what is considered "spammy". Typically spammy threads should be locked, if not deleted. If a topic can create a conversation about a subject, then it's worth being counted.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Typically spammy threads should be locked

</3

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I guess since we've always been sort of a larger community it's not as surprising that so many members have less than 40 topics. That just means that there are many people making new topics. If the forum was a lot smaller we'd probably have at least 5 people with a much higher thread count (OMG A JOKE, LIKE BEDSHEETS THREAD COUNT, GET IT?)

majorasmask.jpg

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,509 Posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

I have created 79 topics, but that is since 2007. Has it really been that long. It is not easy to create new topics and have them be meaningful and of interest to many.  Oh and I should get an award for being so awesome and the "oldest" member :D :P ....kidding...I think lol.

Edited by Autumn, 28 January 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

128-Up
128-Up

Mario Trivia Master!

• Stalfos
  • 2,948 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

I have an award suggestion, if that's alright to mention.

"Post Appreciation Award": Whether a post of yours is funny, insightful or just plain memorable, getting Popularity Stars is a good way of knowing you said something amazing.

Level 1: Collect 3 Popularity Stars
Level 2: Collect 8 Popularity Stars
Level 3: Collect 15 Popularity Stars

(A Popularity Star is what I'm calling the mark you see on posts which have gained 10 or more likes.)

...You were expecting something witty here? Lolz no.

A level from the game I'm designing!

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

I do like the idea, but there's currently no way to search for the "popular" post. So unless people want to hunt down those posts, past ones wouldn't count.

Another issue is that I've only seen like 2 or 3 popular posts a year. Which is typically given to some big forum announcement, a milestone post count obtained by a veteran member, and the Golden Pipe Awards hostess (always done by Keatos). In other words, it would be extremely difficult for any non-staff/non-retired-staff to obtain it in the years to come. Perhaps if we can obtain a larger user base where reaching 10 Likes in a single post to make it "Popular" becomes a possible task (as opposed to currently being impossible), then we'll use it. But it's certainly an idea to keep on reserve for now.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

I do like the idea, but there's currently no way to search for the "popular" post.

Did you mean: http://nintendopipel...m/best-content/

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Ohwow, how did you do that? I searched for a good half hour before posting and couldn't find such a thing.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

6DobI.png

^That one

Top Bunk
Top Bunk