Photo

Nintendo Falling at the Wayside

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

This may or may not be old news, but I just recently heard how Nintendo is just going down the crapper as of lately, and how 2013 was just a horrible year for Nintendo.

This "failing" of Nintendo is possible due to the competition of smartphones and iPhones and the like.

I found this article on Yahoo! News about the issue:

http://games.yahoo.c...-204501525.html

What do you all think? What should Nintendo do to keep itself not only afloat, but to soar once again?

:)

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

Nintendo will be fine. They've pulled out through worse before. Though I think if they focused more on multiplayer aspects of games, they'd be better off. As much as I think Nintendo has the better games, the other consoles have better online functionality and multiplayer games that most gamers are looking for these days.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

128-Up
128-Up

Mario Trivia Master!

• Stalfos
  • 2,948 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Conversely, I link you this: http://www.wired.com...intendo-mobile/

To copy a specific extract from it...

"Nintendo doesn’t need to go where its customers went; it needs to get them back or find new ones. Not having games on iPhone is not Nintendo’s problem. This is Nintendo’s problem: For the last few years, it has been attempting to use ~$250 game platforms on which you must pay $40-60 to play a game to compete with ~$250 game platforms that give you infinite games for free. Nintendo cannot win this fight."

It suggests making DS titles available on the eShop, and I think this could work.

...You were expecting something witty here? Lolz no.

A level from the game I'm designing!

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

What I do think is an issue is that games and consoles are so expensive, whereas games on an app store are either free or just a few bucks.

People nowadays want something fast and cheap, can anybody say "McDonald's"?

It's hard for me really provide any insightful information at the moment, because I do not think like a business person, so it is interesting to see what you all have to say, and I was surprised this wasn't already a topic here at Nintendo Pipeline.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Nintendo's consoles are half the price or less than their competitors. They can't just sell a console for free, and there's a lot that goes into making a console capable of playing large games. Even with phones becoming more like mini-computers, you can't play high end games on them. All you're stuck with is cheaply made short games. So even if Nintendo broadened their market to phones and apps, it would be useless. They would make nothing off of that. The phone creators would be the one to choose the pricing and how much Nintendo will get paid, which would be nearly nothing.

If people want to play a Nintendo game, it's not that hard to pick up one of the cheapest consoles on the market this generation. It's more than worth the price they're selling it for. And individual games have always been around the $50 price range, even back during the NES days. Back then, $50 was a lot and considered super expensive, yet people still bought the games. So there's no real issue to complain about a pricing that hasn't changed. It's easier to make the money needed to afford it, compared to back then.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

I don't think Nintendo can fall out of the running. Even if the Wii U fails. the 3DS is still outselling everything on the market right now. I imagine if this year doesn't shape up. I'd expect a Wii U+ to be announced that promises a more 'next-gen' experience. This however is not what Nintendo needs to do. They need games, and not just sequels or new gimmicks. They need big AAA games. Like a new Main series Mario in the lines of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Zelda HD, or a new Metroid title. Miyamoto's New IP is still interesting but I think it's gonna be another gimmick.

Even though it's not a gamer's choice. Everyone I know is still buying a Wii U to play Nintendo games. And while they may not be doing it now, they for sure will be doing it later.

Nintendo's big issue is advertising. They got all these new gamers to come in and buy a Wii. But now they don't know what a Wii U is. They certainly didn't hear about games like DKCR, Kirby: Return to Dreamland, or Metroid: Other M. They have no idea what a Nintendo is. Just a Wii. Nintendo needs to introduce people to these franchises because that's all they got.

hA0AZYy.png

Beauseant
Beauseant

And still I am Lady Death, always dressed extravagantly.

• Bulborb
  • 919 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

I don't think Nintendo can fall out of the running. Even if the Wii U fails. the 3DS is still outselling everything on the market right now. I imagine if this year doesn't shape up. I'd expect a Wii U+ to be announced that promises a more 'next-gen' experience. This however is not what Nintendo needs to do. They need games, and not just sequels or new gimmicks. They need big AAA games. Like a new Main series Mario in the lines of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. Zelda HD, or a new Metroid title. Miyamoto's New IP is still interesting but I think it's gonna be another gimmick.

Even though it's not a gamer's choice. Everyone I know is still buying a Wii U to play Nintendo games. And while they may not be doing it now, they for sure will be doing it later.

Nintendo's big issue is advertising. They got all these new gamers to come in and buy a Wii. But now they don't know what a Wii U is. They certainly didn't hear about games like DKCR, Kirby: Return to Dreamland, or Metroid: Other M. They have no idea what a Nintendo is. Just a Wii. Nintendo needs to introduce people to these franchises because that's all they got.

Miyamoto is working on a new thing? 

But think of Smash Bros, that is a fucking massive series, it could at least partly save their ass when it comes out

D5cpUXc.png

BlPltJD.png

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

That too. Smash Bros is what a lot of people are waiting to buy a Wii U for.

hA0AZYy.png

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

@Slasher

I do agree with you. And I'm sure a lot is put into making the gaming consoles, but what I'm saying is the way people are nowadays, it seems they want the cheap games on their phones as opposed to buying those $50+ games.

I always was caught up with the Nintendo systems when I was younger, but when the Wii came around, I didn't get one until 2 years after it debuted. Now I am positive I won't be getting a Wii U anytime soon. A 3DS, though, is doable, but that is a hand held gaming system and those have always been cheaper than the regular consoles.

@Spin

I agree with you on new gamers not knowing what Nintendo is, but knowing what a Wii is. This is true especially with the younger generation. I hear many kids I work with talk about Mario and the Wii or 3DS. I never hear anything about an SNES or  N64 or anything like that.

If it weren't for our generation and the one above us, Nintendo would not be as popular as it is with the younger generation. And that is because Nintendo is falling off the map a little here.

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Nintendo can't compete simply put. They took a path into niche marketing and are paying the consequences. While the Wii and WiiU are excellent consoles, third party producers aren't interested simply because the consoles have a lack of power and complex interface.

Additionally, Nintendo has generally lacked any memorable games in the last few years. Yes they have had good ones, but for the most part they have been remakes or very similar to other relatively new games that have nothing to do with each other story wise (ex. Mario 3D Land and Mario 3D World). If Nintendo really wants to make a turn around, they need to get on par with their competitors. The console is marginally more power than the Wii (which was marginally more powerful than the gamecube) and thus it can't compete graphically.

Nintendo also made a mistake in appealing their games to young children and family, meanwhile the average gamer is 30 years old and there is a lack of captivating, complex games that would appeal to an adult. Sure, rescuing a princess is fun as is driving a kart, but we've been doing that for decades.

Finally, Nintendo has more than less had the same people in the same positions for decades, they need new blood to come in and provide new and fresh ideas.

Edited by Archangel, 24 January 2014 - 07:20 PM.

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

"We're gonna have totally awesome stuff Soon™" - Nintendo

They just need to start actually... Releasing things?

Things I purchased a Wii U to play:

Super Mario 3D land - Only recently came out but fantastic and I love it

New Super Mario Bros U - :-)

Wonderful 101 - :-)

Nameless Zelda Project - No ETA

Smash 4 - "Some time in 2014"

Mario Kart 8 - "Q3 2014"

Dragon Quest X - ;__;

X - 2014

Windwaker - Amazing game but srs this will be about the 10,000th time I've played it

Mighty No. 9 - TBA

A Hat in Time - ?????

NOTE: I'm not dead I just live in Australia now

Edited by Titus, 24 January 2014 - 08:44 PM.

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

NOTE: I'm not dead I just live in Australia now

Same thing.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

Same thing.

I was about to post the same thing until I scrolled down more and saw that you did already.  :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

128-Up
128-Up

Mario Trivia Master!

• Stalfos
  • 2,948 Posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

So thanks to today's Rooster Teeth news (Jan. 28th), I've learned that information is being leaked suggesting that Nintendo will be taking advantage of the smartphone market, but not quite to the extent people have believed.

As Satoru Iwata claims that Nintendo's exclusivity is one of (if not, the only) the driving forces behind Nintendo, the smartphone market will be used to host mini-games and demos as a gateway for people to see what Nintendo has to offer on their existing systems.

I think this is an interesting take on things, but I can't help but wonder how well demos for Nintendo titles would translate to mobile controls, assuming they are indeed taking this direction.

...You were expecting something witty here? Lolz no.

A level from the game I'm designing!

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Well, Final Fantasy games have worked well for me so far on the iPhone... Though I can't say that touch controls are a good thing (They are a sin)

Nintendo has always been pretty good at using gimmicks in their first party games and designing with them in mind rather than tacking them on (Some exceptions) so I would be curious to see what they come up with.

Maybe they'll even Do the same thing as Sony and Microsoft and make an app that allows use of a tablet as a second screen device in place of the Wii U Tablet / alongside it

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

http://www.ign.com/a...-mobile-devices

Nintendo commented on it and debunked the whole "mini game mobile device" news going around.

hA0AZYy.png

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

Well that was a short lived rumor. Usually they get tossed around for much longer before being shut down.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

It's a frequent rumor and suggestion made to Nintendo. It's not that surprising that they're shutting it down quicker each time. It's not the direction they want to go, nor plan on going any time in the future. Which I'm kinda glad they don't, as it shows they want to keep full control over the decisions they make, and that's what I like a lot about Nintendo.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would hate for them to make mobile games. They might find out they can make money and sell out like Capcom has.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

I would hate for them to make mobile games. They might find out they can make money and sell out like Capcom has.

They wouldn't really even make much money, if at all, from mobile games. Besides, it would render their VC service useless.

Nintendo is smart enough and cares more about their gamers than the other companies do.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler