Photo

DS VC games on Wii U

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

Source

Seriously Nintendo, what are doing? Yes, people have been wanting DS games on the virtual console for some time now. But... WHY on the Wii U? The 3DS would have been the more logical option and would have a much more natural feel to playing it. Playing a DUAL SCREEN game created for the purpose of using two screens, on one single screen seems... illogical and much more difficult to handle.

Discuss.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

GOOD_DOGE
GOOD_DOGE

"Make it quick."

• doge
  • 1,759 Posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Maybe they intend on using the Wii U gamepad as a second screen?

I'm sort of excited for it. Means I can record DS games. :v

Edited by BAD_DOG, 30 January 2014 - 10:20 PM.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

They want to focus on the Gamepad being a feature of the Wii U not just a controller. This is a good way of doing that.

Nevertheless, I hate it. I want GBA and Gamecube games to be rereleased. Not games I already played a few years ago and still own.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

I don't think DS games belong on the Wii U at all. A lot of excellent DS games are those that require focus on both screens. It would be really disorienting to be looking at the TV screen which is a good distance away, then at the gamepad close up. Furthermore, I don't think a DS game would look all that great massively bloated up on a television when it wasn't meant for a screen of that size. The old DS games don't even look good on the XL when stretched out. This is all assuming they use both the TV and the gamepad though.

It also brings up the issue of one of the biggest features of the gamepad. The ability to play it WITHOUT the TV.

So, in the case of not having a TV, it doesn't work out very well. Yes, they could potentially split the gamepad screen, but the gamepad was not meant for that. They'd have to do it very awkwardly for something that has such a wide single screen.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

They could set it up so it displays both screens on the gamepad. That might not be half bad.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

They could set it up so it displays both screens on the gamepad. That might not be half bad.

They would have to do it side by side, but that would still be too awkward. Quite a few games require measuring up the bottom screen with the top screen for accuracy.

Also, we still don't know what they'll price these games at. It might end up being cheaper to just go to the store to buy a copy. Or used copy even. Just about everyone already has a 3DS which is backwards compatible, or if not, then a regular DS/lite/i.

The only games I can see working out with the Wii U gamepad are puzzle games, like Brain Age. Do that's likely their main focus if anything. I don't think anything else would even work half as decently as it would on an actual DS, without them having to restructure the whole game and how things work.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Slasher you've taken the thoughts out of my head. 8V

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Well you know what they say, great minds think alike. :v

Or I could be in your mind, stealing the thoughts straight from you

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

Well you know what they say, great minds think alike. :v

Or I could be in your mind, stealing the thoughts straight from you

You're not. Otherwise Pegasus would have sealed you into a card by now. 83

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

6EzXM.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

You're not. Otherwise Pegasus would have sealed you into a card by now. 83

What if I actually am Pegasus now. :v

6EzXM.png

That's what I figured. Side by side.

They would have to do it side by side, but that would still be too awkward. Quite a few games require measuring up the bottom screen with the top screen for accuracy.

Which definitely would make a lot of games awkward. Being able to see your character and environment on one side, then seeing what's supposed to be underneath your character, on the other side instead. It just changes the feel of a lot of those games overall too. It loses the special top screen/bottom screen feeling that they should have.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

You're not Pegasus. >8|

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

You're not Pegasus. >8|

But maybe Pegasus and I are bff's and I take his place when he leaves on vacation. :vvv

We're getting off topic though, oops.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

But maybe Pegasus and I are bff's and I take his place when he leaves on vacation. :vvv

We're getting off topic though, oops.

BUT THEN HE WOULD LET ME KNOW CUZ HE'S MY HUSBANDO </3

*erhem* If the screens are going to be shown side-by-side, then how will games that don't have layouts like Brain Age work?

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

BUT THEN HE WOULD LET ME KNOW CUZ HE'S MY HUSBANDO </3

*erhem* If the screens are going to be shown side-by-side, then how will games that don't have layouts like Brain Age work?

Good question. It'll be rather disorienting O_o. Like Pokémon. How are they going to fix the layout on that one?

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

Well I just checked and if you turn the Wii U tablet sideways it is actually way more than big enough to fit the two DS lite screens- and seeing as there are games that already require turning the DS sideways I wouldn't be too surprised if they came to wii-U

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'm just imagining games like Sonic Rush and TWEWY that definitely wouldn't work well with it. And yet those types of games are the only ones I'm interested in.

hA0AZYy.png