Photo

Nintendo Problems?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Garuu Popka
Garuu Popka

Gay for Sonichu

• Blooper
  • 1,395 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oE0-E5r_Ll8

lately nintendo has been going through really dumb decisions, especially for the Western audience.

anyone not seeing this? it's pretty much hard to stay with nintendo as of lately

Whaaaat?! Darkstar, you dare underestimate a femanon? She who has seen things no human being should ever lay eyes on, and still goes back to 4ch­an for more?! -16bit from Lucarioboards

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Nintendo is really failing with the decisions they've made in North America. Me and my hubby have been saying that Reggie is destroying NoA. The guy comes out and says that there is no Zelda timeline and then what happens? We get an official Zelda timeline! Not to mention he's also a bit of a jerk by flat out saying that the fan's opinions do not affect Nintendo's decisions whatsoever. Any company that does not in some way take their customer's opinions into consideration when making new products is most likely not going to do very well.

Your point can easily be proved when you look at Wii U sales in the United States versus Wii U sales in Japan. In the US, Wii U sales have been a total flop. Face it, most modern gamers have completely put aside the Wii U as a next-gen console and only consider the PS4 or the Xbox One. But in the Japan, the Wii U has outsold even the Xbox One to become the best-selling next gen console.

Really the only thing saving Nintendo, in my opinion, is the fact that they have old favorites such as Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Metroid. Also, the 3DS is the best selling handheld console, but just wait until Microsoft releases a handheld and Nintendo makes another dumb mistake.

HELLO NINTENDO OF AMERICA TIME TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES!

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

I don't really get what the video is trying to say or prove?

Nintendo is really failing with the decisions they've made in North America. Me and my hubby have been saying that Reggie is destroying NoA. The guy comes out and says that there is no Zelda timeline and then what happens? We get an official Zelda timeline! Not to mention he's also a bit of a jerk by flat out saying that the fan's opinions do not affect Nintendo's decisions whatsoever. Any company that does not in some way take their customer's opinions into consideration when making new products is most likely not going to do very well.

Your point can easily be proved when you look at Wii U sales in the United States versus Wii U sales in Japan. In the US, Wii U sales have been a total flop. Face it, most modern gamers have completely put aside the Wii U as a next-gen console and only consider the PS4 or the Xbox One. But in the Japan, the Wii U has outsold even the Xbox One to become the best-selling next gen console.

Really the only thing saving Nintendo, in my opinion, is the fact that they have old favorites such as Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Metroid. Also, the 3DS is the best selling handheld console, but just wait until Microsoft releases a handheld and Nintendo makes another dumb mistake.

HELLO NINTENDO OF AMERICA TIME TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES!

I don't really see how Reggie is destroying NoA?

Saying there's no timeline, simply means there's no timeline at the moment. Unless he specifically stated that there would never be a timeline. Then that would be different.

Also, the whole "not taking customer's opinions" part may be rather harsh. But I think it's more of just saying they intend to follow along with the decisions NoJ makes with the console and their games. But I guess that's left up to interpretation.

I can't find any recent sales charts for comparison of recent sales. But when the Wii U was first released here, they doubled the sales of Japan and the UK within the first 4 weeks. I can't say much about recent sales though, unless you have a source for that I can see? Along with the comparisons to other consoles like the Xbox One as you mentioned. Because I can't imagine how that piece of crap got any sales at all anyways to even make a fair comparison to it.

And the 3DS is still a strong and solid handheld. You're forgetting that Sony has the Vita as well to compete with it, and clearly it's not doing as well as the 3DS is. So if Sony can't do it, then I seriously doubt Microsoft would ever have a chance even if they do make a handheld to compete with it. Clearly Nintendo is doing something right with their handheld market. Especially with the large selection of excellent games they have compared to the Wii U.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

@Slasher - I believe the little blurb I found about Wii U sales in Japan was either in Game Informer or on Zelda Informer? I cannot remember. I do know that the thing about Reggie saying that fan's opinions make no difference was at Zelda Informer. I've seriously been having some crazy memory problems lately and I often find that when I say or write something and go back to read it later, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Sorry if I sounded really dumb or ignorant in my reply.

I tend to forget about the Vita. I haven't seen a huge variety of games nor have I seen as many people carrying a Vita as I have seen 3DS.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

@Slasher - I believe the little blurb I found about Wii U sales in Japan was either in Game Informer or on Zelda Informer? I cannot remember. I do know that the thing about Reggie saying that fan's opinions make no difference was at Zelda Informer. I've seriously been having some crazy memory problems lately and I often find that when I say or write something and go back to read it later, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Sorry if I sounded really dumb or ignorant in my reply.

I tend to forget about the Vita. I haven't seen a huge variety of games nor have I seen as many people carrying a Vita as I have seen 3DS.

I tend to not trust Game Informer as they like to make up crap just to give some kind of news. Haven't seen Zelda Informer though, so I can't gauge the information they give. I'll have to search around more, I guess. I was about to give a rebuttal about the sales as it didn't sound right to me. But figured I should do my research first. :v

I have such bad memory problems myself, So I can understand that. I even have cases where I thought I remembered something perfectly, but later find out I remembered it wrong and make a fool of myself. Hence why I wanted to find a source before I made any statements that could contradict myself.

Yup, exactly. The fact it's so easy to forget about kinda shows that it hasn't been doing all that well. The 3DS completely overshadows it. The Vita isn't bad by any means. But it just sort of... lacks in comparison. Especially with the amount of games available for it. My bro has a Vita, but he rarely plays it. I haven't bothered to try it out yet either, so I'm not sure if it still has the awful loading problems that PSP games used to have.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Santatoes
Santatoes
  • Rattata
  • 145 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

I still like Nintendo, and honestly, I don't really get the recent anger and hate. I watched some of Shokio's videos, but he seems kind of annoying and overly angry to me.

Posted Image

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,509 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

I never thought there was a Zelda time line so does not bother me. If people want to believe in one, cool. I love Nintendo and really don't care for any other gaming company, so I don't read what others say, and I don't care either, I just hope Nintendo keeps doing what I love. :P

Posted Image

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

I think Nintendo is doing okay. Sure they make mistakes, but they have a much wider variety of games than Sony and Microsoft (not all gamers are satisfied with just FPS games).

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

Nintendo just needs to strategically think about what games they are making, when they will be released, and how they can stay ahead. I feel like nintendo might make a come back with the next console they release.

N64 pretty much stood without competition as those were the dying days of sega and sony was just getting started. Gamecube faced solid competition from the original xbox and ps2 and in many aspects started to fade since it simply couldn't keep up with those two. The wii pretty much outsold the other two globally because it was so innovative and had a solid starting lineup with many big titles coming out what almost seemed like every other month.

So perhaps Nintendo slacked with the wii u expecting it to do as well as the wii. Nintendo definitely bombed the opening gaming lineup and has since generally failed to keep a steady stream of wii u games coming.

On the other hand too, Nintendo has been in the business for almost 30 years. Something that many video game companies haven't done. For the most part too, the key figures in the organization have been the same, so it's the same old ideas and maybe they're just running out. It would certainly explain why we get a new super mario bros or something similar all the time. Nintendo would certainly benefit from new blood and new ideas.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

I think the biggest issue they are having is that they are neglecting the online multiplayer market. The internet has made us more than just irl friends and families. People want to connect over very large distances. The Wii Sports HD Regional Club feature was a brilliant idea, I think more games, not just Nintendo games, should do that. Starting big ol' leagues online would be amazing. Especially for Smash when it comes out.

They don't need to focus on online multiplayer. Just acknowledge it exists and offer it regularly. That's a software seller.

Also i think offering more VC games more often would help too. Everyone is clamoring for more vc games. 1 or 2 a week just won't cut it.

hA0AZYy.png

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I think nintendo is just in a rut. Every company is going to go through ups and downs. In the video game industry, these ups and downs are constantly examined by a large number of sources. I think people are freaking out because Nintendo's current plan isn't successful, but come on guys, they are smart enough to be able to pull out of this. It won't happen immediately, and honestly, I don't know if they can make the Wii U successful at all. However, I think eventually we will again hear nonstop fanboy rants about "NINTENDO SO GOOD CUZ INNOVATION!" Currently, I have no problems with Nintendo whatsoever. I don't have a Wii U, but the 3DS lineup is fantastic, and only growing in size with more quality games coming out (Ordered Bravely Default the other day, hyped).

So don't freak out! I'm sure Nintendo can live through this dark era.

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Also i think offering more VC games more often would help too. Everyone is clamoring for more vc games. 1 or 2 a week just won't cut it.

I have no issue with one or two a week. It allows them to keep a steady pace in updating the virtual console, as well as it keeps people checking for what was added. Besides, they usually have some kind of sale going on that would be easily missed if people didn't check it once in a while.

So it's silly to say that Nintendo should use bad business practices and just give people all the games they want at once.

Also, the Wii U does have a decent lineup of games down the line. Maybe not as good as the 3DS games that are out right now, but it's something. Wii U sales should hopefully go up once those games are released, especially after the next Smash Bros is out. After all, it's the games that make the console what it is. Without the games to compliment the console, it might as well just be a brick.

Either way, Nintendo's good at turning things around. They'll manage something.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

True enough. I was super excited when they were talking about licensing at their financial briefing. This could mean anything to more toys and merchandise to allowing third party developers take a whack at their IPs.

hA0AZYy.png

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

True enough. I was super excited when they were talking about licensing at their financial briefing. This could mean anything to more toys and merchandise to allowing third party developers take a whack at their IPs.

Licensing could be a really scary prospect at the same time. If they license to the wrong people and those people make a few crappy games under one of Nintendo's IPs, it could really hurt one of their icon's game reputation.

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,750 Posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Licensing could be a really scary prospect at the same time. If they license to the wrong people and those people make a few crappy games under one of Nintendo's IPs, it could really hurt one of their icon's game reputation.

This is what I'm concerned about, but for now I'm hopeful that Nintendo will make good decisions when it comes to licensing.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Garuu Popka
Garuu Popka

Gay for Sonichu

• Blooper
  • 1,395 Posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

so far I got the wii u finally. A main gripe i have with it is the loading, and the installation of games. The update i could bare with it, but i will say that the estimated time was on the target.

Whaaaat?! Darkstar, you dare underestimate a femanon? She who has seen things no human being should ever lay eyes on, and still goes back to 4ch­an for more?! -16bit from Lucarioboards

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

I tend to not trust Game Informer as they like to make up crap just to give some kind of news. Haven't seen Zelda Informer though, so I can't gauge the information they give. I'll have to search around more, I guess. I was about to give a rebuttal about the sales as it didn't sound right to me. But figured I should do my research first. :v

I have such bad memory problems myself, So I can understand that. I even have cases where I thought I remembered something perfectly, but later find out I remembered it wrong and make a fool of myself. Hence why I wanted to find a source before I made any statements that could contradict myself.

Yup, exactly. The fact it's so easy to forget about kinda shows that it hasn't been doing all that well. The 3DS completely overshadows it. The Vita isn't bad by any means. But it just sort of... lacks in comparison. Especially with the amount of games available for it. My bro has a Vita, but he rarely plays it. I haven't bothered to try it out yet either, so I'm not sure if it still has the awful loading problems that PSP games used to have.

I don't doubt the thing about Game Informer. I've been finding that some of the things I read in there make less and less sense. However I do stand by my opinion that Nintendo is just not what it used to be. I did not take into consideration that it was not entirely the fault of Nintendo of America. The problem is developers don't want to produce their games for the Wii U, but Nintendo can't get these big games to develop for the Wii U therefore people don't want to buy a console that isn't going to include all the stuff that you can find for Playstation and Xbox. It's a deadlock...basically.

I am looking forward to Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, DK Country Returns Tropical Freeze, and Zelda Wii U (when that one is officially announced). I'm really hoping it isn't too late for the Wii U to redeem itself. It could be a fantastic console.

Quick unrelated update: my thyroid and iron levels are fine so no anemia like I originally suspected so I have no clue what's been going on with my brain lately. Maybe I just lack one.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

RickSwee
RickSwee
  • Goomba
  • 5 Posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

The guy comes out and says that there is no Zelda timeline and then what happens? We get an official Zelda timeline! 

Lol, that's because they probably pulled the timeline out of their asses for the sake of selling a book. I could be wrong of course, but I do worry that people who take that stuff too seriously are just being duped.