Photo

Nintendo Wi-Fi Service Ending For Wii and DS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

Everyone, I'm afraid a sad time is upon us. May 20, 2014, Nintendo ends its DS and Wii wifi service.

I'm surprised it's ending so soon, with Pokemon White 2 and Black 2 being relatively new and both systems having many popular games that connect over wifi! I knew it would happen eventually, but so soon kind of hits me hard. I know the Nintendo wifi was not good at the best of times, but to hear about the shutdown of Nintendo's first wifi attempt makes me a bit sad. I was hoping the games would still be able to be played online through the 3DS and Wii U, but now I won't be able to recreate all the good times I've had over wifi. Animal Crossing (both of them) and Mariokart (both of them) were both great games to play online and I'll miss the option to do that. I will just have to remember the good times by myself from now on.

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

Project M custom servers when?

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

Spoiler

*erhem* I am disappoint.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

... I thought they already did this? Or was that just for Brawl?

2rcwyzs.png

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Brawl wifi definitely still works for the time being.

@Tai: Most Project M users use a dolphin emulator on the PC and have a program through there they use to compete. I have no idea how to do that, but Brawl online was awful anyway.

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:59 AM

Ah man. The memories of Animal Crossing: Wild World nights will forever be laid to rest. It's disheartening. But considering it's been almost ten years, I can't say surprised. You served me well, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, in spite of your limitations.

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

They should setup special servers for the pokémon games at the very least. Some people like to return to the good old pokémon games. It's pretty much impossible to complete the pokédex without it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

Well hopefully they release Smash 4 soon after they end the service (if not before). :o

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Kinda sad about this, even though I have not used my Wii, or DS or DSi in quite a while. Oh the memories. I guess they cannot keep everything going for ever. Bye ACWW and all the great times playing with others. 

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Well that's depressing. I just got Diamond and Pearl too.

hA0AZYy.png

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Ridiculous! Black 2 and White 2 JUST came out not even two years ago. In my opinion, the games are pretty much pointless now and it's such a shame because they were pretty fun! I liked Unova. And I completely agree with you, @Slasher. However, I suppose keeping the servers running costs too much for them to continue to maintain when they need most of their resources to go towards bigger and better things. Really, this is sad though.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Sakurai: "Please understand."
*laughs*

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Ridiculous! Black 2 and White 2 JUST came out not even two years ago. In my opinion, the games are pretty much pointless now and it's such a shame because they were pretty fun! I liked Unova. And I completely agree with you, @Slasher. However, I suppose keeping the servers running costs too much for them to continue to maintain when they need most of their resources to go towards bigger and better things. Really, this is sad though.

Definitely. I like Black 2 and White 2. Yea since some parts of them rely on wifi and now with the servers going off, they'll neutered. They're still playable, but the loss will be felt. I'll miss them, for Mario Kart especially though.

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

I totally get why Nintendo would do this. They can't keep the servers up forever; and they need to get people playing their new stuff.

But...

What about all the communities that have formed around some of their even most popular games? Brawl still has a pretty big community from what I can tell, and there are many people who like to play the older pokemon games competitively when they don't like the current XY meta. When I first heard this, I won't lie, I got really pissed off. At the same time, I can't remember the last time I used the wifi on my DS. Still, I feel bad for people who still use it quite often.

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

WildWorld
WildWorld

The Wildest.

• Space Pirate
  • 2,501 Posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Very disappointing news... I understand the business reasons for it but that's about it. The DS and Wii are two of the most-sold consoles of all time and are obviously still being played by millions; 2014 is just too early.

3DS Friend Code: 0817 - 3915 - 9370
Posted Image

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Agreed, both systems are still going strong, and even if the Wii stops selling, people will still want to play their Wii/DS games on the newer systems so really why end it so early so you can get sales from older games when the new systems don't have extensive libraries?

There's a few petitions out there to stop it from shutting down, but I would be amazed if Nintendo reconsidered.

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

Agreed, both systems are still going strong, and even if the Wii stops selling, people will still want to play their Wii/DS games on the newer systems so really why end it so early so you can get sales from older games when the new systems don't have extensive libraries?

There's a few petitions out there to stop it from shutting down, but I would be amazed if Nintendo reconsidered.

They should-at least for now. </3

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

The only thing I care about is Netflix. It's had my college roommate's Netflix account on it since I graduated, so when that ends I'll have to buy Netflix myself (we haven't talked much since college so I wouldn't feel right just texting him suddenly to ask for his account info).

And anyway, you'd think Nintendo could at least set up something on the 3DS servers for the Pokémon games XD

majorasmask.jpg

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Definitely. At least give it another year or two.

Don't blame them to say the least tbh. Same. I doubt they'd go back on it.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

The whole time I've had a Wii I never played online. I wonder what the occupancy stats are for Nintendo's servers. They wouldn't shut them down if they were still being used frequently.

hA0AZYy.png