Photo

A Brief Comment on Four Games I Just Picked Up on eShop (3 old and 1 new)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

While waiting for a few games to come along that I really am excited for I decided to stroll through the eShop and see if I could pick up anything that would keep me busy for a while (though I do have many games I could complete or start in my game library). 

I checked out the reviews of a few games, and they all got very good reviews, so I paid my money and picked up 4 games. One new, three old. 

Defenders of Oasis, RPG, Game Gear 1992, 3.99 eShop. This is the game I am most addicted to right now. Colourful and fun, I am having a hard time putting it down. The setting is Arabian in feeling and  you start off as a lazy Prince that sleeps all day, until...evil strikes. There is even a Princess.:D You get to walk around towns and talk to townspeople to find out what is going on and where to go next. Turn based battles using weapons or magic (you have your own Genie in a bottle, how cool is that). To get spells you have to read walls, reading walls is very important.

The whole game reminds me of earlier FF games or even old Zelda games. I have not done a lot of grinding, just a bit, more to get some coins to buy the best gear and you have to buy what amounts to power ups for your Genie. Great fun, not terribly long, not horribly hard, though there were a few instances where I thought I would be stuck in a dungeon with no way out and very low on health and potions (you cannot escape from dungeons, only battles and that is not for certain). I am not finished the game yet, but I feel I have had good value for the money.

Shining Force The Sword of Hajya. RPG Strategy, Game Gear 1994, 2.99 eShop. I just started this game to see what it was like. Strategy games are not my fave but this is fun and funny. In once scene the hero jumps down a cliff and lands on his head in the sand. I thought that was cute. You cannot wander around shops, you are moved automatically where you are to go and if you want to shop you have to egress and choose shop or what I think is a battle ground. The battles at the start of the game are not that easy. I am already in trouble. You really have to make sure you are stocked up and since your members in your party can only hold a few things at a time it is tricky. There are a few healers in the team but they run out of MP quickly. You can leave the battle at any time to heal up and resurrect fallen (fainted) members, but it costs gold to do so, then you are sent back to the very start of that battle. You never loose a member permanently though. 

The Sword of Hope II, RPG, GameBoy 1996, 2.99 eShop. Wow, this is a very different style of game for me. First off it is all black and white. Your character does not move around a map in the traditional way, instead you only see what he sees in front of him. You move via choices to the left, so you are basically moving one square at a time, and it takes some getting used to. Turn based battles again. You are given the ability right from the start to zoom back to your castle at any time, which is good. I only just started this game as well and not sure how I will like it. It is so unlike any other game I have played. 

Art of Balance. Puzzle.  6.99 eShop. There is a demo of this.

Brand new game. I love puzzle games, like Night Sky. The Art of Balance is just as the name implies. You are given objects and you have to place them on top of each other, or beside and create a sculpture that will stand and not topple over. I have just unlocked the B World and it would appear all the puzzles take place over a dish of water, very Japanese in design and feeling. The music is ok, not great, not annoying though. I find this quite soothing and play a bit before sleeping. As with all puzzles if you get stuck, walk away for a while and let your mind work on it. Usually you will be able to conquer it when you return. A great little game for those that would like something a bit different and a nice work out for the mind. 

Edited by Autumn, 20 March 2014 - 07:53 AM.

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

You should have been able to fix the title. You'd have to go to the full editor instead of just a quick edit. Though I just went and did it for you (Changing the "4 old" to "3 old". I'm assuming that's what needed to be changed, right?).

Those games certainly sound interesting, but man are they old games. All the way in the 1990's. I'll have to take a look at them when I can. But I still have plenty of games holding me over right now.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Art of Balance and Defenders of Oasis looks interesting.

Though Oasis reminds me of that disney movie, Aladdin. Where except for him being the prince.

He's just a street rat. But then does this parade, by pretending to be one. Either way... I'll check them out later.

Thanks Autumn.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Thank you very much Sunny. :) I will remember that next time when I make my next blunder.:) I have yet to get to playing Oasis today, but going to do so now. I really like it. There is something to be said for the old games, a certain charm, a simplicity, though certainly some of the battles were much harder than they are these days. I am glad I am getting to check out some games I never got to play.

Posted Image

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Wow, Sword of Hope 2. I haven't played that in...well over a decade. I barely remember it. I only remember that I have a cousin who absolutely loved the game to death. I might have to pick it up sometimes - I hope you like it. 

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,781 Posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Art of Balance and Defenders of Oasis looks interesting.

Though Oasis reminds me of that disney movie, Aladdin. Where except for him being the prince.

He's just a street rat. But then does this parade, by pretending to be one. Either way... I'll check them out later.

Thanks Autumn.

That's exactly what I thought of. 8'D

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Dang, was looking into getting these! Thanks for the nice look into them, Autumn.  :happysmall: