Photo

Snow in the header

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

I seriously want it to be spring so bad...you know, for good. In North Carolina, the weather has been seriously bipolar this year! On the first day of winter it was 70 degrees and now it's cold and snowy then it's hot then it's stormy...it's really doing a number on my allergies....

But anyways back on topic...

For the start of the magnificent season of spring, I would propose that we replace the falling snow with some falling cherry blossoms. I think we could make a seasonal thing out of this and it isn't all that bad when it's only contained to the header. It's when it gets all over the page that it gets on my nerves. Not sure what we could do for summer, but I really like cherry blossom trees and nothing says spring (or Japan...which you know, Nintendo is based in haha) like cherry blossom petals floating in the breeze! :3

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

Preach it sista

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Personally I don't like having little things floating around because I find it distracting. I'm fine with the header or background changing but I just don't like the floaty stuff.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure the admins who have the real power will make something.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Cherry blossoms are a good idea, we'll give it some thought!

Personally I don't like having little things floating around because I find it distracting. I'm fine with the header or background changing but I just don't like the floaty stuff.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure the admins who have the real power will make something.

Some people feel this way though - we did originally have a button that could turn the snow off if a person didn't like it (too distracting or lagged their browser), so we could most likely bring that back or add in an option somewhere.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

No, it will stay winter forever. I'll have the snow script create a blizzard that affects the whole site so it fills up half the screen with snow that never melts.

But really, finding these scripts is such a huge pain. I could either take the quick and easy route of recycling the snow script to recolor the snow pink and alter the snowflakes shape to look like half flakes that somewhat resemble cherry blossom petals. Or I could wait for someone to find a script for me that meets the standards I'm looking for. Which I don't really have any standards other than that if cherry blossoms are to be used, I'd prefer them to be just the petals and not the full flower part, which was all I could find when doing a quick search.

So if someone finds a more proper script for me to use, then I'll look into getting an on/off switch for those that want or don't want things to fall.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'm sure many other users have internet connections that can't handle it and instead the whole forum lags for them. If something is created, every user should have the ability to turn it on or off to suit their preferences.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

The script in place (with the snow and such) is only limited to the header area as opposed to the whole site. And has plenty of optimization options to reduce lag within the script. So I've been trying to keep it up with what users can handle. And if you scroll enough where the shoutbox is at the top, the script turns itself off while the header's not in view anyways. So lag shouldn't be much of an issue, if at all.

Though I still intend to have the switch, as there may be odd cases anyways. Plus for those that simply don't like it for one reason or another. I just have to figure out how to add a switch. I can edit javascript code just fine, but I've never actually created anything myself with it. So I'll likely have to find a template script for the switch as well.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sunkissii
Sunkissii

It's that glow, I know

• Armos Knight
  • 3,375 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Or don't have anything fall. And just change the background to a spring theme. :v

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif I'm always happy. <3

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

But there's no fun in that. If not for scripts and web coding, then I'd have nothing to do.

Doing what I can to keep the site visually appealing and/or fresh to the users and keeping things functional is pretty much my job right now. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Or don't have anything fall. And just change the background to a spring theme. :v

It can off by default, and then a person would have to toggle it on if they desire it - that way everyone wins

Sunkissii
Sunkissii

It's that glow, I know

• Armos Knight
  • 3,375 Posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

It can off by default, and then a person would have to toggle it on if they desire it - that way everyone wins

Perfect! I love this idea. (Sorry. I didn't mean to be a pain or whatever).

But if you guys can't (Not saying you won't). Then it's fine either way.

I just thought the background already looks okay enough, without anything falling. But hey, that's me. XP

Edited by Sunny, 13 March 2014 - 06:19 PM.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

I had to switch themes because the old one was lagging and sometimes making it difficult to scroll using the scrollbar.

Personally I think the snow has been up for unnecessarily long (imo I'd probably just keep it up in the month of December), and I don't really like the idea of something like that up all the time. It doesn't run very well on everyone's computers and it makes it less special when it is there.

Posted Image

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I agree with Keatos. Maybe just have the cherry blossoms fall on March 21, the first day of spring and that could be it. Just a little change for a short period of time.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

I turned the snow off the Skyward skin now. Snow is not really fitting for March anyways. Even if it is still frigid out with snow everywhere. :v

I still think having an on/off switch would be the best idea. Or if I have trouble doing that, I could have it activate on-click within the header. So that it would be off by default. Which might be an easier method and I'm not sure why I haven't thought of doing that earlier.

I'll have to test things out later.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

I agree with Keatos. Maybe just have the cherry blossoms fall on March 21, the first day of spring and that could be it. Just a little change for a short period of time.

1) The first day of spring is the 20th this year lol and 2) but it's not fair I don't have internet connection at home and don't get to log onto the Pipeline every day! Wahhhh!

This would be a fantastic idea!

I am quite confident that our resident scripting master, @Slasher can come up with a solution! :D

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

This would be a fantastic idea!

I am quite confident that our resident scripting master, @Slasher can come up with a solution! :D

Lol, I'm definitely not a scripting master. Otherwise something as simple as this wouldn't be so difficult for me.

Makes me wish I studied up on javascript more instead of HTML and CSS.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sunkissii
Sunkissii

It's that glow, I know

• Armos Knight
  • 3,375 Posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Lol, I'm definitely not a scripting master. Otherwise something as simple as this wouldn't be so difficult for me.

Psssh. But then.. you wouldn't be able to do these awesome backgrounds and such :v

Edited by Sunny, 20 March 2014 - 01:56 PM.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Psssh. But then.. you wouldn't be able to do these awesome backgrounds and such :v

But backgrounds are as easy as:

background: #123456 url(image.png);

So all I'd need is the background image to use and I'd be set. Assuming it's a repeatable image. Easier to figure that out than it is to figure out javascript. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I really enjoy HTML and CSS. Unfortunetly due to lack of practice since I graduated college last May, my skills have become a little rusty. :/ I can't do languages like Java though. They make me want to beat my head over the keyboard.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

I really enjoy HTML and CSS. Unfortunetly due to lack of practice since I graduated college last May, my skills have become a little rusty. :/ I can't do languages like Java though. They make me want to beat my head over the keyboard.

Indeed. I've been keeping up on my HTML and CSS at least so it's much more natural and easier for me to do. But when it comes to javascript, everything just seems so... messy. Having functions and if statemants with no indication of how they actually work, code that needs empty parenthesis for no real reason other than "just because it needs them to work". And things like doStart and doDelayedStart one after the other with the same exact stuff under it, which makes it look redundant. Like in the snow script, there's like 8 things that look like it might be what controls how the snow starts, but they all look too similar and there's no clear indication of what's correct or not. And trying to alter all the possibilities have yielded no results, meaning I might need to add a line or two of code instead. But I cannot find what it is that I need to add, or where in the code to add it. It's been frying my brain thinking about it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler