Photo

Tomodachi Life

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Wait what? YOU CAN DO THAT? *stillneedstowatchthedirect*

Yes you can. :v

84ZHy.png

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

WELL... WELL THEN.

Can Sims throw items at each other from out of thin air? Sims: 4 - Tomodachi: 3

Or maybe sign love songs to each other? Sims: 4 - Tomodachi: 4

Or how about engaging in grid iron battles? Sims: 4 - Tomodachi: 5

Or perhaps going on classic styled rpg adventures? Sims: 4 - Tomodachi: 6

GG

Yes. Multiple items such as water balloons, pillows, and flowers. Sims: 4 - Tomodachi: 5

They can sing a wide variety of love songs, in fact sims can make a career out of singing love songs to others. Sims: 5 - Tomodachi: 4

Engage in battles? You can make you sims fight anyone and everyone, even non humans. Sims: 5 - Tomodachi: 3

Going on RPG styled adventures? No. Sims: 5 - Tomodachi: 3

But you can be a badass Khalessi and own pet dragons. Sims: 6 - Tomodachi: 3

Oh yeah you can also have a pet unicorn

running.png

Sims: you might as well give up 7 - Tomodachi: 3

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

I concede </3

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

even though it is similar to sims, it still something to keep an eye on. I'm interested in what else you can do in the game

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:15 PM

I need to stop liking all of Goldens post 8D

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

I concede </3

Well of course Tamadochi isn't going to be better than the Sims. This is it's first game, not to mention that they're...two different games. XD

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well of course Tamadochi isn't going to be better than the Sims. This is it's first game

OBJECTION

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

...I stand corrected. 8'V

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

So slightly disappointed by this. Apparently despite the game having a heavy emphasis on relationships and dating, Nintendo has no plans to include same sex options.

Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of Tomodachi Life. The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that 'Tomodachi Life' was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary.

The ability for same-sex relationships to occur in the game was not part of the original game that launched in Japan, and that game is made up of the same code that was used to localize it for other regions outside of Japan

Of course by "never intending to make any form of social commentary", they did make social commentary.

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

So slightly disappointed by this. Apparently despite the game having a heavy emphasis on relationships and dating, Nintendo has no plans to include same sex options.

Of course by "never intending to make any form of social commentary", they did make social commentary.

Good, I don't want pregnant dudes like the unpatched japanese version had.

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

gbwyoshi
gbwyoshi
  • Blooper
  • 1,304 Posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I think the issue at hand is 2 parts:
1) It was a game made in Japan that didn't have the western audience in mind

2) The "removed portion" is something that slowly corrupted the game.

I'm not going to get into argument 1 since to each their own. For 2 though, the glitch is essentially square peg round hole. If you try forcing a square peg("male mii explicitly defined as female through TL) through a round hole(Lets say using the ladies room), then the game runs into an issue. While it may be comedic, games are known to corrupt saves if checksums fail or you run into a game breaking bug that progress is impossible.

Ways to fix this issue: rewrite the code to have TL gender overwrite Mii data, TL gender can only be what the Mii is, or rewrite the game to allow for the glitch to become a feature. The first 2 are simple fixes since it would happen upon importing a mii, the complete re-write though, while possible, would have basically required months to fix, looking for anything that the glitch breaks and having to write new code to handle it(and the rewrite would have needed to happen in japan, since NOA/NOE only handled essentially the script. The source code was probably still in japan)

The way I take Nintendo's new stance though can go both ways, "We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players." Can go either "Next game will include same-sex relationships" or it can go "Next game is japan only". 

Edited by Eric D, 09 May 2014 - 07:32 PM.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

So slightly disappointed by this. Apparently despite the game having a heavy emphasis on relationships and dating.

Nintendo is in a lose-lose situation here.

Nintendo never planned on having gay marriage in their game to begin with. If they listen to their fans, they will need to spend extra development time (which of course means spending more money) for a feature that they never planned for, therefore cutting profits.

Also gay marriage isn't legal in Japan, so there's that as well. Sure they can go ahead and implement gay marriage anyways, but I'd think Nintendo would be extremely uncomfortable with it.

If Nintendo decides not to cut their profits and stick with their country's values by keeping their game as-is, then they will disappoint/anger those who support Miiquality.

So Nintendo is screwed either way.

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Oh, I agree they're in a lose-lose situation. I still compare this game to the Sims where in all versions of the game (that is Sims 2 and Sims 3 editions) same sex relationships are an option despite as you said same sex marriage being illegal in Japan, but closer to home in most parts of the US.

Providing the option doesn't necessarily show support, rather acceptance.

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

(Even though I support the same sex marriage/couples)

Well, I'm guessing the reason why Nintendo is uncomfortable with it. Is because of kids (that are ages 5 or 7-12, that still play games like we do). Which would explain a whole lot. Since the game itself is suppose to target that age group.

Besides. What would happen, if nintendo were to add that in (the same sex) Tomodachi life? Well.. Not only the kids (in that age group) would be confused(and probably wonder what the same sex is). But also the parents would complain about it too.

So I don't think it's Nintendo's fault nor want to do it. I think it's because of the parents itself.

(I'm just saying... Though I apologize anyways if anything I say)

Edited by Kryst, 10 May 2014 - 06:38 PM.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

Well, I'm guessing the reason why Nintendo is uncomfortable with it. Is because of kids (that are ages 5 or 7-12, that still play games like we do). Which would explain a whole lot. Since the game itself is suppose to target that age group.

Besides. What would happen, if nintendo were to add that in (the same sex) Tomodachi life? Well.. Not only the kids (in that age group) would be confused(and probably wonder what the same sex is). But also the parents would complain about it too.

So I don't think it's Nintendo's fault nor want to do it. I think it's because of the parents itself.

This could be possible. Anyone remember the whole Swapnote fiasco? 

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm honestly curious if the ESRB would give the game a higher rating.

gbwyoshi
gbwyoshi
  • Blooper
  • 1,304 Posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

I'm honestly curious if the ESRB would give the game a higher rating.

No because it would still fall under "Sexual themes" if it has that classification.

Archangel
Archangel

Turian Rebel

• Metroid
  • 2,255 Posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

While reasonable, many forms of media have been normalizing the concept of same-sex relationships. Additionally, it's not like the same-sex relationship is forced on the child. They would have to willingly pursue it.

Regardless, it seems like Nintendo has taken into consideration including a same-sex option in the next tomodachi. If one ever exists.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Never in my life would I have ever thought I'd see an animated 3D Mario and Link kissing. o.o

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Just tried out the game and it seems pretty fun so far. Might add it to my short list.