Photo

'New' Nintendo 3DS & 3DS XL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

439369-new-nintendo-3ds-3ds-xl.jpg?thumb

Yesterday, Nintendo debuted their 'next big thing' in the world of handheld gaming: the NEW 3DS and the NEW 3DS XL. Soooo...wait...this could get confusing. When someone says that they just bought a new 3DS, do they mean they bought a brand new (or new to them) 3DS console or did they buy one of these fancy newfangled 'New' Nintendo 3DS systems? Seriously, I just don't get the name. Couldn't they have come up with something a little less vague? 3DSn? 3DSi? Super 3DS? Really Nintendo?

All complaints aside about the name, it seems that this really is a brand new console that will have new games release that are only compatible with the 'New' 3DS models: Xenoblade Chronicles being the first game announced...most likely because the 'New' 3DS has faster chips and can therefore run larger games that need a higher memory and processing capacity. So I wonder how long before Nintendo stops releasing some games on the 3DS and makes them "next-gen exclusives."

The visual differences are pretty noticeable...

1) The console features not two, but four shoulder buttons, incorporating the ZL and ZR buttons featured on the Wii U Gamepad.

2) The A, B, X, and Y buttons are also colored similar to the color combinations featured on some SNES controllers. There's a bit of nostalgia that I am happy to see and I must admit, it looks rather nice against the white coloring of the 'New' 3DS. I am not quite as happy as how it looks on the XL version, but I rarely ever swoon over the XL handhelds anyways, so this really doesn't matter much to me.

3) The stylus is on the bottom of the console rather than the top, which IMO is pretty great as I find it somewhat awkward to easily access the stylus while I am playing a game without having to close the lid somewhat.

4) Also on the bottom is the game card slot. I'm sorry, but this is pretty dumb. Unless they made the games insert some other way than being spring-loaded, it would make it way way too easy to accidentally eject your game while playing. Not cool.

5) Perhaps I should have added this closer to the top of my list, but the 'New' 3DS also features a teeny tiny circle pad on the right side of the console. It has been confirmed that this is the good ol' C buttons from the N64 and Gamecube days. Hoorah.

6) I already mentioned the greater memory capacity and higher processing power and yadda yadda...

7) Slightly longer battery life than the original 3DS, however even the 2DS was released with a slightly longer battery life than the 3DS, too, but then again that's probably more due to the fact that the 2DS does not feature 3D graphics rendering even though it still plays 3DS games.

8) This console is also slightly thinner, more rounded, and features a bigger screen than the original 3DS.

9) Some of the button placements have been changed, for example the power button is now on the bottom of the console rather than inside and the Start and Select buttons have been moved back right where they belong: under the ABXY buttons and NOT directly under the bottom screen. *claps*

10) Finally, the bottom touch screen features some sort of sensor underneath it (forgot what it's called) that I am assuming will make the console compatible with soon-to-be-released Amiibo figures. Super Smash Bros. has also been confirmed to be compatible with the special sensor feature (that led me to assume the whole Amiibo compatibility thing).

11) OH WAIT I almost forgot to mention the most important part: this thing has a wider viewing angle for the 3D screen! Okay, I'm starting to be sold on this thing...

I still love my good ol' purple 3DS, but if I have the money, I might actually fork some out for one of these new consoles. My hubby has pretty much already claimed one, so that means I'll have to wait a while. Let's hope these things are released pretty close to time for income taxes to come out. ;) I'm going to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and say that was their plan all along...

So overall, what do you think? The console will not be released in the United States this year, in fact, no American release date has been given despite the fact that the console was confirmed to release in Japan this October.

Article: http://www.gamnesia....ew-nintendo-3ds

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

>Not mentioning the faceplates

you must not have seen that part

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm just curious as to how much more processing power and memory it has. Details that are still being waited on.

I've already voiced my issues with this New 3DS multiple times. The stylus and game card slot are badly placed, the micro sd card requiring the removal of the back plate is also an awful idea. The second control stick is too small even for a baby's hands.

Fortunately, the pros outweigh the cons at least (depending on how much you weigh each pro and con). But I'm still hesitant in wanting to get one. I'll likely be waiting until a future exclusive game bundled with a neat designed limited edition XL comes out.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

>Not mentioning the faceplates

you must not have seen that part

Noooo I did not... >_>

Please feel free to link to an article detailing this as I am quite curious to hear what this is about.

I'm just curious as to how much more processing power and memory it has. Details that are still being waited on.

I've already voiced my issues with this New 3DS multiple times. The stylus and game card slot are badly placed, the micro sd card requiring the removal of the back plate is also an awful idea. The second control stick is too small even for a baby's hands.

Fortunately, the pros outweigh the cons at least (depending on how much you weigh each pro and con). But I'm still hesitant in wanting to get one. I'll likely be waiting until a future exclusive game bundled with a neat designed limited edition XL comes out.

Not sure exactly how much more powerful the thing is, but from what I can gather, it's enough to make a real difference. I completely agree with the game card slot being badly placed and I'm quite undecided on the placement of the stylus. I think I might like it not being on the top, but I think maybe they could have put it on the side like they did for the DS Lite and DSi. That would've been great. I completely forgot to mention the use of MicroSD as well and the fact that you have to remove the back plate to get to it. Another mistake, in my opinion. The second control stick must not have a real significant use since it's so small. I have really small hands (I wear like a size 4 ring if that gives you an idea), so idk, that might not be too big of a problem for me. They should have made it slightly bigger on the XL console, though.

I think overall I agree that the Pros outweigh the Cons. Obviously there are many differences between this console and the original 3DS. So many that there were several that I forgot to point out!

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS again so this is good news. Thinner design, bigger screen, looks interesting!

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

I just found out what @Giygas was talking about!

Apparently the New 3DS is going to be more customizable than ever!

ncases1.jpg

These are a few Faceplates that have been unveiled in Japan for the New 3DS console. So basically, you snap off the back plate and the top (without voiding the warranty, of course) and just snap on a new faceplate and voila!...looks like you've gone and got yourself a brand new NEW 3DS! (Man...this name thing is going to get confusing). New 3DS got all scratched up? No problemo! Go pick yourself up another faceplate and it looks like new again! Really! I love this idea!

And to go along with the new faceplates...

Untitled-8.png

Untitled-52.png

INTERCHANGEABLE HOME MENU THEMES!!!!

GUYS I AM SERIOUSLY SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!! The best part is: an update is expected in October (not sure if this is international or Japan only...someonepleasefindthisout!) to allow existing 3DS systems to gain the capability to install themes. And by the looks of it, they've already designed some of the faceplates to have a matching theme. The article I found suggests that it would be really neat if Nintendo would package each new faceplate with a code that would allow for a free download of the matching home screen theme.

*squeal*

Oh and it gets even better!

Just kidding, I already announced the very best stuff...

faceplates-524x262.png

New charging stations that allow for vertical charging rather than laying the system down flat so that the entire faceplate can be admired even when the system is charging. AND the charging stations come in different colors for the New 3DS.

kjhgkjghkgf I don't even....we're going to be broke when my hubby and I both go out and buy these things. Gonna start praying for a good tax return now.

I might just hold off on getting another car for this. Just kidding...I HAVE to get a car pretty soon mine's not very dependable aaaaand...sorry off-topic...

Article: http://www.zeldauniv...tions-revealed/

Edited by SakuraSaturn, 30 August 2014 - 05:27 PM.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

I completely agree with the game card slot being badly placed and I'm quite undecided on the placement of the stylus. I think I might like it not being on the top, but I think maybe they could have put it on the side like they did for the DS Lite and DSi. That would've been great.

The stylus was also on the side for the XL version of the 3DS. I don't know why they keep changing it up. They should just stick to the side and be done with it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

That Yoshi menu is a graphical disaster.  :oop:

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

That Yoshi menu is a graphical disaster.  :oop:

As much as I love Yoshi, I have to agree. If only they added the ability to customize the menu manually instead of with themes.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

That's where I'm at too. I won't be getting one at launch. I have a perfectly good 3ds. Will be waiting until any bugs or issues are worked out of it. Also, if the games are any higher priced then they are now (around $40 -- without tax) then I probably won't even bother. That's pretty much where I drew the line in the sand for handheld games, price wise.

Edited by B9M, 30 August 2014 - 10:01 PM.

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,794 Posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

Bluh I just got my 3DS a couple years ago. Either Nintendo needs to slow down or I need to evaluate the release dates between the different Game Boys and DSes better. X_O

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I agree that as cool as this thing looks, it does seem way too soon for another new handheld already, especially since they just released the 2DS earlier this year. I sincerely hope this doesn't make prices higher for new games. Video game prices are crazy to begin with, especially prices for handheld games.

I'll probably wait a little while to see if it's worth all the hype while my hubby goes out and buys one two weeks after release. My 3DS isn't that old.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Prof. Dohoho
Prof. Dohoho

Immoral Asstroll

• Monty Mole
  • 311 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

On the subject of Faceplates: I kinda want a Monster Hunter-themed plate, but the one they showed off for it hardly resembles the games at all. I'll probably just get a white N3DS XL and draw a Black & White Rathalos on it myself, then slap on a vinyl cover. #Cheap #Effective

-Actually I have a question; Are there any Custom-3DS-Faceplate "shops"? I would assume there are, but I never found any online. Oh well, even if I did they would probably charge an ass & a half for the service.

Anyway, Nintendo better have a damn-good reason for putting the game slot on the bottom of the DS, and the same thing goes for the stylus. Why whyy WHYYY would you put the stylus on the BOTTOM??? That motherfucker will slide right outta there if it doesn't have a lock/snap-in. And the game cards better not be spring-inserted, because if you're playing on a table, the 3DS is gonna shit that thing right out.

IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT. Guess I'll have to modify mine.

Edited by Kimogaron, 31 August 2014 - 01:42 PM.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I will probably be picking one of these up around launchtime here in North America (planning on going with the XL version), since my shoulder buttons on my original 3DS have totally gone to hell and don't work properly anymore, and my only chance of getting them to work is sucking or blowing into them (innuendo not intended, but can be taken that way if you would like to apply it), and that gets to be really annoying. Plus with all those improvements (and the fact that I lost all my downloads being a dumbass including all my ambassador stuff), what's not to like?

2rcwyzs.png

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I think I read somewhere that the faceplates are only gonna be available for the smaller version.

hA0AZYy.png

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

I think I read somewhere that the faceplates are only gonna be available for the smaller version.

Hmmm...I think they are. I'm not a huge fan of the XL consoles, but that's a little lame in my opinion.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Ah. I get it. The reason why they quote new.

Because it doesn't look much different than the other 3DS.

Actually, it looks like they just switch the buttons/such. And made the screen wider mostly.

And yeah, the plates do look interesting. But right now, I'm quite happy with the 3DS I have really.

I don't think I would wanna get a new one, just because.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Well if it is new and Nintendo I want it. But, I don't even have a Wii U yet. Of course the game for the new 3DS will be exclusive for that system so I will have to get it if I want to continue playing the newest games. I need to find a pot of gold, or a rainbow I can stick in my pocket, I am sure I could sell that for a bit.:P

Posted Image

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,794 Posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hmmm...I think they are. I'm not a huge fan of the XL consoles, but that's a little lame in my opinion.

Same here. Alot of people prefer the XL versions. 

Well if it is new and Nintendo I want it. But, I don't even have a Wii U yet. Of course the game for the new 3DS will be exclusive for that system so I will have to get it if I want to continue playing the newest games. I need to find a pot of gold, or a rainbow I can stick in my pocket, I am sure I could sell that for a bit.:P

I wish you well with that. 8'D

Edited by Sanji07, 01 September 2014 - 01:42 AM.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

Same here. Alot of people prefer the XL versions. 

Because the screens are bigger and they usually come with a longer battery life. Personally, I like a system that I can stick in my back pocket and walk around with.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png