Photo

'New' Nintendo 3DS & 3DS XL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Because the screens are bigger and they usually come with a longer battery life. Personally, I like a system that I can stick in my back pocket and walk around with.

I only carry things in my front pocket. Back pocket is too easy to get pickpocketed from and I trust no-one. Plus I don't think it's a good idea to sit on such things. The XL's fit in my pocket just fine anyways and I'm rather short with smaller sized clothing (Like, I can still wear children's large clothing, Men's small clothing is still too big sometimes). So...

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

I only carry things in my front pocket. Back pocket is too easy to get pickpocketed from and I trust no-one. Plus I don't think it's a good idea to sit on such things. The XL's fit in my pocket just fine anyways and I'm rather short with smaller sized clothing (Like, I can still wear children's large clothing, Men's small clothing is still too big sometimes). So...

I take these things out of my pocket before I sit down. Didn't think about the risk of being pickpocketed. I rarely go anywhere with a huge amount of people anyways where I can't pay attention to what the people around me are doing, let alone take my 3DS with me. I usually don't even take a purse in to such places and opt for a shoulder bag instead.

Women's jeans also don't usually have as big of pockets as men's jeans. At least my husband can easily fit his 3DS in his front pocket where mine usually barely fits and I have a fear of it falling out and going kerplunk on the ground.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Because the screens are bigger and they usually come with a longer battery life. Personally, I like a system that I can stick in my back pocket and walk around with.

I see why other people like the XL versions. I personally don't care for them because my hands are already small. 8P

Same here (unless it's my chain wallet). I normally put my 3DS in my Jack Skellingtion plush backpack. <3

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

I see why other people like the XL versions. I personally don't care for them because my hands are already small. 8P

Same problem here haha.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

I agree that as cool as this thing looks, it does seem way too soon for another new handheld already, especially since they just released the 2DS earlier this year. I sincerely hope this doesn't make prices higher for new games. Video game prices are crazy to begin with, especially prices for handheld games.

I'll probably wait a little while to see if it's worth all the hype while my hubby goes out and buys one two weeks after release. My 3DS isn't that old.

Exactly. $40 (without tax) is where I draw the line for handheld game prices. Any higher and they can pretty much kiss my purchasing any other handhelds good bye.

Same here. I'd rather see how things go then go in blind.

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

@Kimogaron - Try Etsy.com. I don't know about finding any faceplates so to speak, but I do know of at least a couple of shops that sell things like Nintendo-themed vinyl and handmade 3DS cases.

Some cases... https://www.etsy.com...ef=pr_faveshops

More cases (these are really awesome, but mostly Pokemon)... https://www.etsy.com...ef=pr_faveshops

Vinyl stickers (mostly full color)... https://www.etsy.com...ew_type=gallery

More vinyl stickers (mostly a single color)... https://www.etsy.com...ew_type=gallery

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

I don't think he cares much about a case. That would be another $20 that he can't afford to waste.

Vinyl is what he's looking for, but the ones there are rather cheesy looking and just slap-ons of renders. The only good ones I see are in the last link of the 8-bit stuff, but $5 for tiny images and logos is kinda meh.

Kimogaron can at least draw (unlike me), so he pretty much knows what he wants to put on it and can just get it made in vinyl form himself for the same price, if not then cheaper.

Not trying to talk for him or anything, but I know him well and that he'd have the same thoughts as that. After all, we have the same priorities in what we look for. #Cheap #Effective

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Prof. Dohoho
Prof. Dohoho

Immoral Asstroll

• Monty Mole
  • 311 Posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

@SakuraSaturn There's a few neat things on there, though I was more looking for a service which lets you design your own plates. Probably seems a bit farfetched, but I've always been into customizing things like that.

@Slasher Yeah pretty much. However, I must say my drawing skills are nowhere close to top-notch, especially since I'll have to re-re-learn to draw the natural way, because that screenless tablet harshly messed with my mind. To add on, the only reason anyone might see perfection in some of my drawings is because the millions of mistakes, redos, and resulting eraser marks aren't visible in digital art lol.

Edited by Kimogaron, 06 September 2014 - 11:36 AM.

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

@Kimogaron - Hmmm...not sure about actual face plates. The idea of the face plates with the N3DS (which is what I'm going to call it now) is that they can be changed without voiding the warranty.

I did, however, come across a picture of a custom designed Game Boy Color. It was probably on Pinterest. When I get the chance, I'll track it down again and see if it leads to anything.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Umm...sorry to keep double posting on everything, but...yeah...

I found this article right here that may be of interest: http://www.zeldadung...-february-13th/

In a nutshell, it states that we may see the release of both Majora's Mask 3D and the 'New' Nintendo 3DS on February 13th. Again, this has not been confirmed by Nintendo. BUT according to this other article right here (http://www.thetanook...-red-and-black/) tomorrow's Nintendo Direct is expected to announce the 'New' Nintendo 3DS for North America.

The poster only shows the 'New' Nintendo 3DS XL. So...where's the smaller sized NN3DS?

However, one of the comments says:

"February is not spring though... and MM3D was announced to be released this spring.

Also, on tomorrow's Nintendo Direct they will talk about the "spring" games. I see no reason for them to release both the New 3DS and a couple of games on the same day when they were already announced to come out later this year.

Just my opinion. =)"

Would be a good point, except the only thing the official website says is "2015." Gamestop says 12/31/2015. As does Amazon. Hopefully we find out for sure in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

I was going to buy a new 3DS XL as my current one has a broken hinge (though it is all glued up now). But, if the new 3DS is going to come out this soon, I may wait. Does anyone know if the games on the old one are transferrable to the new one? (I may end up getting both, I have this thing about having more than one of any system)

Posted Image

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

I was going to buy a new 3DS XL as my current one has a broken hinge (though it is all glued up now). But, if the new 3DS is going to come out this soon, I may wait. Does anyone know if the games on the old one are transferrable to the new one? (I may end up getting both, I have this thing about having more than one of any system)

They should be. I hope so at least. 

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

There is a transfer tool within the 3DS firmware that allows you to transfer your data over to another one, or so it says.

2rcwyzs.png

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

New Nintendo 3DS XL confirmed for North America. Regular New Nintendo 3DS totally ignored, presumed dead. Greeeeeeeeat.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Oh I guess this is a thing. I thought this was a huge announcement but I guess it was back in the summer! Here I thought they just announced it today.

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

Screw you, Nintendo and your decision to release ONLY the New 3DS XL (and not the regular sized one) WITHOUT the interchangeable faceplates and WITHOUT the AC adapter included. I'm sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. I honestly am quite livid about this. I dislike the XL consoles. They're so large. I like to put my 3DS in my back pocket and walk around with it. It's especially handy if I am at home and decide to go to the kitchen or something; I just put it in my pocket and collect steps and play coins. This XL thing is NOT going to fit in my pocket! And like I said, where's the faceplates that everyone got so excited about? You know, the ones that they ALREADY released themes to match???

/end rant/

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

Screw you, Nintendo and your decision to release ONLY the New 3DS XL (and not the regular sized one) WITHOUT the interchangeable faceplates and WITHOUT the AC adapter included. I'm sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. I honestly am quite livid about this. I dislike the XL consoles. They're so large. I like to put my 3DS in my back pocket and walk around with it. It's especially handy if I am at home and decide to go to the kitchen or something; I just put it in my pocket and collect steps and play coins. This XL thing is NOT going to fit in my pocket! And like I said, where's the faceplates that everyone got so excited about? You know, the ones that they ALREADY released themes to match???

/end rant/

Yeah I'm not too crazy about this either. I prefer the normal system not only because it can fit in my Jack Skellington plush/back pack, but also because my hands are small. Not all of us have huge hands. 8|

Yay my wallet is safe

Edited by Sanji07, 15 January 2015 - 04:13 PM.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yay my wallet is safe

BUT FOR HOW LONG

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

BUT FOR HOW LONG

Well if the only difference is the nub then I don't really care. 8P

BUT SRSLY DON'T SAY THAT

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Colette
Colette
  • Thwomp
  • 711 Posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

I actually don't mind that Nintendo is only going to release the new 3DS XL here in North America. I never liked the smaller size, because I found it hard to see anything with the smaller screens and my hands always cramp while playing. It is one of the main reasons why I don't play handheld games much anymore. I like sitting on the couch playing a game on our 50" TV and using a comfortable controller. Although I can see why people are upset, especially since it appears that North America is the only region not receiving it. Spin really wanted the regular new 3DS because of the customizable faceplates. I'm happy with the Majora's Mask new 3DS XL that I was able to pre-order from Best Buy. What do you guys think of the limited edition Monster Hunter and Majora's Mask new 3DS XL?

Posted Image

Justice and love will always win