Photo

Gotta Keep on Diggin`

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Sometimes I am on the fence about a game. I kept looking at Steam World Dig and thinking to myself, but you hate platform, side scroller games, why are you looking at this over and over again. 

The day I picked up Dual Destinies I just went ahead and bought Steam World Dig as well. Whoa! Am I super happy I did. Yes it is a platform game, yup I hate platform games, but this is different. There is jumping and it is a side scrolling game, but it is different. It is so different that I love it, I am obsessed by it, I think about it all the time and I want to play it for hours, only I don't, `cause I think it may not be too long a game and I want the fun to last.

It is a simple game, you inherit a mine. You dig in that mine. You find stuff and sell it and upgrade your gear. That's it. Only it is cute, it is not so easy either as you run into traps and things bent on killing you one way or another,  and you keep wondering how far down does it go and what will you find. You are compelled to keep on digging and digging. You meet scary things down in the dark depths. You see that twinkle and you just have to reach it, dig it out. There are secret areas that are tricky to solve, puzzles and you want to solve them because at the end may be some treasure you could really use. The art is cute in a steam punk style (which I adore), the characters up above slowly tell you a bit more of the story as you talk to them. The music is western, western punk I supposed or Japanese western, if such a thing exists, anyway I like the music and love the opening tune. 

I love this game. So if you can don't pass it up, maybe give it another think or do like I did and just go ahead and get it.:D

Which has me wondering about Shovel Knight...

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have been wanting to play it. Do you think the Wii u version would be better?

hA0AZYy.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have been wanting to play it. Do you think the Wii u version would be better?

Sorry late response, no I don't think the WiiU would be better. The 3DS one is brilliant. I am not a huge fan of consol games, and for them to be good on a large screen, well they need to be sweeping epics, like maybe Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time (which was brilliant on the GC). Most games are far better suited to the handheld and give you that feeling of being really connected with the game. I think anyway. 

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

So I picked up the game and I gotta say I am enjoying it. Got the PS4 version. I've played games like it and I can never put my finger on why I like it. Probably all the exploring and the rewards you get for picking up treasure. It felt like there was always something new coming.

I definitely recommend it.

hA0AZYy.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

I am so glad you like it Spin. I do hope there will be more games like this in the future. I would love to see a much expanded version of this.

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

It reminds me of an old flash game I used to play called miner. It's the exact same concept. But if you died the whole game was over.

hA0AZYy.png