Photo

amiibo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

Super shocked that no one has made a thread about this yet...

You remember when amiibo was announced at this year's E3. And if you don't, I'll tell you. Amiibo are figures similar to those used by Skylanders and Disney Infiniti that allow you to bring your figures to life inside of the video game and customize attacks, level them up, etc. Except they're better! Granted, I have never played Skylanders or Disney Infiniti, BUT as you see in the video above (If you have watched it already, and if not...go watch it now before you continue)...there are multiple games that will be compatible with amiibo...

Games compatible with amiibo:

- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Holiday 2014)

- Mario Kart 8

- Mario Party 10 (2015)

- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Holiday 2014)

- Yoshi's Wooly World (2015)

Apparently, the first wave of figures are already available for pre-order at Gamestop and will include: Mario, Link, Kirby, Samus, Pikachu, Marth, Fox, Villager, Donkey Kong, Wii Fit Trainer, Yoshi, and Princess Peach.

104549b.jpg104546b.jpg

I'm pretty excited about this! Like I said, unlike Infiniti or Skylanders, these figures are compatible with multiple games.

I'm going to be so broke when I buy all the ones I want to buy...

What do you think about Nintendo jumping on the interactive figure bandwagon and releasing amiibo?

Edited by SakuraSaturn, 03 October 2014 - 06:57 PM.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

"Learning AI" sounds really awesome, I'm glad Nintendo is going to try something like this and hopefully it'll become successful.

Kind of reminds me of Skylanders, but I like the concept here a lot better.

Also I really want Yoshi and Greninja figures. :>

Ween
Ween
  • Rattata
  • 136 Posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:54 AM

The idea seems pretty cool, it'd be awesome to send your amiibo off to battle against other players over the internet. And if you could customise the character's visuals, that would be great.

But why instead couldn't a 3DS hold the characters and then they could transfer to the WiiU for the game?
I get that they have some value being figures and all, but it seems very gimmicky.

Spoiler

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

if there isnt a shirtless shulk amiibo im going to burn nintendo to the ground

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

I like the fact that they're doing this, my only real issue is that this would turn into an expensive hobby. And the fact that your figures would look just like anybody else's, so it may get confusing on which belongs to who if their are duplicates, etc.

2rcwyzs.png

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

I like the fact that they're doing this, my only real issue is that this would turn into an expensive hobby. And the fact that your figures would look just like anybody else's, so it may get confusing on which belongs to who if their are duplicates, etc.

I believe that is one of the biggest complaints of Disney Infiniti and Skylanders---that it's expensive. There are so many figures to collect and plenty of kids out there that just have to have them all. I agree...this thing is going to cost us all a pretty penny. But...I don't see myself buying all of the figures...just the ones I really like. I have a feeling my hubby and I may have the problem of getting figures mixed up, so I guess just like two siblings having the same copy of a game, we would just have to write or names on them somewhere in Sharpie, use a small sticker to distinguish, etc.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,794 Posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yeah I can definitely see this becoming expensive, especially for parents. At least Nintendo doesn't seem to milk as bad as other companies. 

I believe that is one of the biggest complaints of Disney Infiniti and Skylanders---that it's expensive. There are so many figures to collect and plenty of kids out there that just have to have them all. I agree...this thing is going to cost us all a pretty penny. But...I don't see myself buying all of the figures...just the ones I really like. I have a feeling my hubby and I may have the problem of getting figures mixed up, so I guess just like two siblings having the same copy of a game, we would just have to write or names on them somewhere in Sharpie, use a small sticker to distinguish, etc.

Same here. I might buy a few figures (despite not having Smash Bros), but that will probably be it. 

Edit: One thing I do like about the figures is that we will be able to use them with more than one game. Hopefully we'll get our money's worth. 

Edited by Sanji07, 06 October 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

Edit: One thing I do like about the figures is that we will be able to use them with more than one game. Hopefully we'll get our money's worth. 

Indeed. I'm anxious to see what other upcoming (unannounced) releases are compatible with the figures as well.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

I'll probably end up collecting these more then I will be using them. They seem to be pretty nice models.

Although the concept of carrying your own upgraded character around when you go to a friends house is definitely intriguing. I wonder if there will be a demo style game (ex. Wii Play) that demonstrates some ideas of what the amiibos could be used for.

hA0AZYy.png

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Some new amiibo news to share...

http://kotaku.com/ni...t-in-1651030422

Apparently the actual amiibo figures are going to look a tad different from the ones we were originally shown at E3. Click the link above to check it out. The difference between E3 Link figure and the actual Link figure is blatantly obvious. Still a cool concept (that will drain all of our wallets), but I have to say I am disappointed.

http://www.ign.com/a...hird-party-devs

The above is an article posted yesterday that talks about amiibo figures expanding capability to third party developers. Not a bad idea! One of the biggest points of criticism for the Wii U is that there are not enough third party devs making games for it. Maybe this will change some minds?  

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

I don't have much issue with some of the changes, but Kirby's off-center eyes bug me the most. Being as OCD as I am, I would not be able to tolerate that.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

Yeah. I heard about these. They look neat.
Even though I might just collect them, more then using them.

Still, it's nice to see something like this.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,794 Posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:54 AM

Some new amiibo news to share...

http://kotaku.com/ni...t-in-1651030422

Apparently the actual amiibo figures are going to look a tad different from the ones we were originally shown at E3. Click the link above to check it out. The difference between E3 Link figure and the actual Link figure is blatantly obvious. Still a cool concept (that will drain all of our wallets), but I have to say I am disappointed.

http://www.ign.com/a...hird-party-devs

The above is an article posted yesterday that talks about amiibo figures expanding capability to third party developers. Not a bad idea! One of the biggest points of criticism for the Wii U is that there are not enough third party devs making games for it. Maybe this will change some minds?  

What did they do to Link. ._. 

The actual quality is a bit disappointing, but at least I'll get to keep some money in my wallet. 

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

Has anybody had the chance to purchase/test any of the amiibo figures? I am just curious.

I don't really see the point in me personally purchasing a ton of these things because right now. We only have Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. Though purchasing the Link figure to get the special weapon in Hyrule Warriors doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

Anyways, in case you missed it, amiibo round 2 has been announced (http://www.gamespot....i/1100-6422790/) and is to include: Zelda, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Little Mac, Pit, and Captain Falcon. Upcoming games including amiibo support include: Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Sorry that was pretty much old news.

There's also another round of amiibo announced for release in Japan next January (http://nintendoevery...a-man-and-more/). We can only hope that these will come to North America! I'm really looking at Rosalina and Toon Link! :3

amiibo-third-wave-656x344.png

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

I haven't bought one myself, but I put a Yoshi one on my Christmas list, so hopefully I might get that. But other than that, they're just too pricey to just go out at buy them all.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

@TopBunk - Oh, no kidding. There's only about four right now that I am interested in having. Doubt I'll get them for Christmas since my family isn't really the game buying type, but I can always use some Christmas moolah to buy at least one for myself.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Colette
Colette
  • Thwomp
  • 711 Posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

I plan on buying all the amiibo figures, or at least the ones related to the Legend of Zelda series. I love figures, and the quality seems to be decent for the price. I'm sure I will use them to unlock items/weapons in Hyrule Warriors, and Spin might use them in Smash Bro for the Wii U.

Posted Image

Justice and love will always win

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,794 Posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

I want to see the Rosalina and Toon Link figures in person. 

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Apparently a Star Fox Amiibo got really close to winning a tournament which is pretty neat.

I have no idea which article is "the best", so here's a Google link to them all.

https://www.google.c...iibo tournament

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:07 PM

Colette and I are getting severely burned by toy'r'us with all the preorder issues they are having. We ordered Little Mac and they sent us Samus. A damaged Samus at that.

I'd advise avoiding toy'r'us for their amiibo. Even with the good deals they had on them.

hA0AZYy.png