Photo

Nintendo Officially Allows Fans to use Intellectual Properties

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

During the announcement festivities for a special gaming event called "Tokaigi Game Party Japan 2015," Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata appeared appeared as a sponsor and made an exciting announcement. Nintendo is now officially allowing their intellectual properties to be used by fans for derivative works. Iwata made this announcement as a video played showing off Let's Plays, music covers, and fanart as examples

Additionally, Nintendo content is now eligible for Nicovideo's (Japanese video service) "Creative Endorsement Program," allowing popular content creators to monetize their Nintendo-related works. We're eager to see if something similar is announced for the West, especially given Nintendo's previous stance that they own all the profits from YouTube videos featuring Nintendo content.

Link

This is exciting news! The article is specifically talking about Let's Plays, fanart and fanmusic but it's unclear whether this stance goes as far as to include mods, but let's hope it does! At the very least, Nintendo is starting to embrace user content.

What do you guys think this means for the future of modding and fan-created content?

Prof. Dohoho
Prof. Dohoho

Immoral Asstroll

• Monty Mole
  • 311 Posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

My future as an animator is becoming so much brighter QuQ

Edited by Kimogaron, 17 November 2014 - 12:16 PM.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Mods are considered user generated content, so there wouldn't be any issues there.

But I'm glad too see this becoming a thing, it sure took them long enough. Although it's too early to celebrate that here, at least until they make a similar announcement for NA.

It would certainly benefit everyone including Nintendo to allow such a thing. LPer's being able to show off excellent Nintendo games, and generate interest with gamers who watch those LP's that may want to play it themselves.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

There's question whether mods fall under "derivative works" as opposed to fair use. If a mod were considered a derivative work, it would need permission.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

I would think it really depends on what's altered. If it's just a few gameplay changes or model swapping (with other Nintendo characters), then I don't really see an issue. But if it's to go as far as original character models and/or changing up the story of the game entirely, then I could see it being an issue.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

Time for me to finish my Animal Crossing board game and make da mula.

majorasmask.jpg

Platinum Chaos
Platinum Chaos

Deku Merchant

• Bob-omb
  • 99 Posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

I'm very happy about this announcement, hopefully they'll implement Twitch into the Wii U next? :v  

Edited by Platinum Chaos, 18 November 2014 - 04:38 PM.

YuoBfER.png

e7fi90.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,722 Posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:03 PM

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Maybe Doge will LP some Nintendo titles now. 8'D

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

I wonder if they'll allow other developers to use their ips now.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

I wonder if they'll allow other developers to use their ips now.

That is still very unlikely. Nintendo is super protective of their ip's. Unlike with allowing LP's and fanart and such, they won't benefit from anything in allowing someone else to use their ip's.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler