Photo

getting in

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

Encrypted? Like hidden or something?

Yep, pretty much. There's a whole bunch of stuff that happens behind-the-scenes to make passwords secure.

I hope that not only that they are encrypted but that a decent salt is applied to them.

That's a good question, so I actually decided to look that up.

Apparently IP.Board explains how they do their passwords here. The salt is five characters long, and each character could be 1 of 93 different ones. 93^5 = about 7 billion

I don't really think anyone would want to try to compromise the Nintendo Pipeline (except for she-who-shall-not-be-named), so I'm not too worried about it.

Ammy
Ammy

I love you, I miss you.

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,594 Posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

That's a good question, so I actually decided to look that up.

Apparently IP.Board explains how they do their passwords here. The salt is five characters long, and each character could be 1 of 93 different ones. 93^5 = about 7 billion

I don't really think anyone would want to try to compromise the Nintendo Pipeline (except for she-who-shall-not-be-named), so I'm not too worried about it.

Sort of. It should be a given otherwise it'd be an easy to compromise bill. Without salt dictionary attacks and the like are super easy as long as the encryption method is known. Since IP.Board is relatively easy to obtain the source code to, then you know you need a good salt.

Thanks for the source, I might read it sometime.

I don't think that he'd try to waste his time on that. It is a very weak method to try and get access to systems you're not supposed to have. Ergo, unreliable.

zjVHwFP.png