Photo

Nintendo on your smart phone?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

I just came across an article that explains that Nintendo just filed patents to allow the playing of Game Boy games on smart phones. From what I am reading, it may be that the games will only be available on iPhones; no word yet on the availability for Android devices.

(Granted, there are some who have come up with ways to jailbreak their devices in order to play these games, but these articles are talking about legit Nintendo-approved Apps.)

Article here: http://mashable.com/...e-boy-emulator/

and here: http://moviepilot.co...external,manual

What do you think about this? Would you want to play Game Boy games on your smart phone?

Please move if this is in the incorrect place, thanks.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have never enjoyed playing games on a cell phone. The screen is just too small and even though the new phones can have screens bigger than the game boy, I still find it awkward to play any games. Phones for calling people, game systems for playing games. I don't go to a grocery store to buy shoes either. :P

Posted Image

Sunkissii
Sunkissii

Space Unicorn

• Armos Knight
  • 3,406 Posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

There's a reason why we have game systems. So we can play these types of games, that go with it. Besides, why would you want to play it on your phone anyways? It's only going to create more of a distracting (Like texting and driving or whatever). 

Edited by Steph, 06 December 2014 - 12:57 AM.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

I still haven't migrated into the 21st century and purchased a smart phone...I'm still using a dumb phone (a very dumb one, at that, with a screen that hardly works and it likes to randomly call people and make my text messages sound like gibberish...that's another story). I do have a Samsung Galaxy S, though, that is not yet activated that I've been playing around with and playing Fruit Ninja on occasionally. I have to agree with Autumn, though. Game system be for playing video games and phone be for calling/texting/etc. (This is random, but I just noticed that the word "texting" is still not recognized by the browser dictionary...surprisingly.) As interesting as this may sound at first, I'm afraid that eventually handheld gaming will become obsolete and instead be replaced with mobile gaming, which I guess is pretty much the same thing, but I certainly don't want the 3DS to be replaced by iPhones and Android devices.

On one hand I am not surprised to hear this as mobile gaming has really taken off in the past couple of years or so, but at the same time I realize that this is Nintendo we are talking about. They are really becoming less proprietary lately (i.e. less like Apple) and beginning to branch out...what with patenting their games for mobile devices and also allowing use of their intellectual property. Not to mention the direction they are going with amiibo, adding things like Play Nintendo (http://play.nintendo.com), etc. Big changes coming to Nintendo.

Yeah, I kinda got a little bit off-topic there. I'm not sure that I'm all that excited about this. To me, it just doesn't make sense to port games to mobile devices when we already have Virtual Console for the 3DS and the Wii U.

Edited by SakuraSaturn, 05 December 2014 - 09:58 PM.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

I must say I'm rather disappointed that Nintendo gave in to putting games on mobile devices. They were so stubborn against it before, and for good reason too. So I'm not sure what made them change their mind.
I just don't like the idea of having such games on a phone, using up all your battery power just to run the game. The point of a phone is for calling and texting. How could anyone even have time to play games on the phone unless they're slacking off at work or at school. Any other time you'd either be out to do other things and too busy to use your phone, or at home where you should be able to play the game more properly an it's respectful handheld or as a VC game.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

Wouldn't this more likely be them patenting software that can do this so they can say they own their intellectual properties on smart phones as well?

hA0AZYy.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:58 AM

I dislike video game ports to phones. I've tried playing (the original) Super Mario Bros. on my Android and it was absolutely horrible using the virtual buttons on the screen. Pokémon was a lot more enjoyable though since it was turn-based.

So I'm not sure what made them change their mind.

My best guess:

Box-Head
Box-Head
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • 61 Posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:48 AM

My phone wouldn't be able to do that, and it still is a smart phone.  I would fear overheating and battery life lol.  Trying to do things like that on a touch screen would drive me insane.  I tried pokemon on my friend's Galaxy, and the older final fantasy's.  I couldn't take the touch screen thumb sticks and directional pads.  That's just me though--I bet it would be an interesting take on nintendo games, but I myself would only end up breaking my fingers in the process or something :dummy:

Edited by Box-Head, 07 December 2014 - 12:49 AM.

Ween
Ween
  • Rattata
  • 136 Posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:27 AM

I dislike video game ports to phones. I've tried playing (the original) Super Mario Bros. on my Android and it was absolutely horrible using the virtual buttons on the screen. Pokémon was a lot more enjoyable though since it was turn-based.

The part I dislike the most is when they use a font that's completely out of place with pixel art:
https://lh4.ggpht.co...3H0W6sTH60=h900
It's unsuitable ;.;

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,768 Posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

The part I dislike the most is when they use a font that's completely out of place with pixel art:
https://lh4.ggpht.co...3H0W6sTH60=h900
It's unsuitable ;.;

Please tell me that's edited. 

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Ween
Ween
  • Rattata
  • 136 Posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Please tell me that's edited.

I'm afraid not.

Edited by Ween, 07 December 2014 - 07:19 PM.

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,768 Posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

jJYBUHD.gif

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

No...just...no...

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Ween
Ween
  • Rattata
  • 136 Posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

I hope 3~4 months isn't too long for me to revive an old thread, but about a week ago Nintendo held a press conference to officially announce a partnership with DeNA a company that makes smart phone and tablet games.

(There's a voice over translation)

So it seems they're going to make games for tablets and phones using their IPs with the help of DeNA. 

Nintendo said they're not abandoning dedicated game systems though, with their next generation system, code named 'NX', underway. 

I suppose DeNA has a lot of skill in the online games and services area, so at least Nintendo will probably be bringing more online functionality to their console games, even if this expansion into smart phone/tablet games isn't your thing.

It's a weird feeling for me for Nintendo to be doing this, but I don't have any strong opinions either way. Not until we see what sort of games they're going to release and how they're going to be played on these sort of devices. I'm sure Nintendo know what they're doing.

Spoiler