Photo

Announcement banner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Maybe instead of the announcement box in the shoutbox. We shout make a few banner icons over it with some nice pictures kind of like we had before across the bottom. It just looks like a wall of blurry text to me right now.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

Something like that has been under consideration before, but I was never able to get the kind of responses I was looking for and the idea kind of died from there. Although I think utilizing the sidebar would be more efficient, considering all that open space there. There was something in the ACP to enable something like that for more convenient use, but for some reason it doesn't work. So I'd have to figure out another method.

As for the blurry text, that's kind of intentional. Gold isn't that visible of a color on it's own, so I tried adding a shadow for the text. Didn't turn out that well, but I was too tired to continue messing with it at the time and simply haven't gotten around to messing with it again. So my bad.

Edit: Changed up the shoutbox announcement up. Shouldn't be as "blurry" now.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

I don't know how I feel about using the sidebar. I like how this forum is nice and clean and when I am reading a thread, there isn't a bunch of obnoxious stuff in the way. Maybe a marquee on the homepage would be nice or place a couple of small graphics below the banner that link to corresponding threads of current events (i.e. contests, mafia games, etc.) Would be very eye-catching then.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

Marquee's are obnoxious looking, imo. And under the banner won't work as smoothly with planned skin layouts. The sidebar on the index is really the only viable location, probably below the status updates. And it would certainly be the cleanest option out of anything else. There is no sidebar when reading threads, so that shouldn't even be an issue. The only sidebar is on the main page.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Could always put it across the bottom like it was before. But I don't see it being as noticed that way.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

That's why I didn't really consider the bottom to be viable, because nobody would see them. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

I remember when we use to have those small announcement like ads. Might have been when we had the homepage. Kyle would design them and link to different events or threads. It was pretty cool.

Edited by Shulk, 10 January 2015 - 08:39 PM.

Fatal
Fatal
  • Rattata
  • 151 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

I have an idea: there's a large strip above the shoutbox and the forum tabs. We could have a scrolling screen with announcements!

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:18 AM

I have an idea: there's a large strip above the shoutbox and the forum tabs. We could have a scrolling screen with announcements!

I personally find scrolling marquees to be the most obnoxious thing ever. So I'd have to object to that idea. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Fatal
Fatal
  • Rattata
  • 151 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

@TopBunk Well, maybe we could have one screen on the top right that scrolls to another page every 5 seconds? Is that good?

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

I prefer having static images, like what I currently have no above the recent topics box. That's basically what the original purpose of this thread was for, so that's a recent addition anyways.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler