Photo

New Skins: Pokémon Omega and Alpha!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:57 AM

Well this has been a long time in the waiting. I originally planned these skins before the X and Y games were released. But since Omega Ruby and Omega Sapphire are already out because I'm too slow, I decided to theme it more towards those instead.

Pokémon Omega is a dark theme that uses red colors. While Pokémon Alpha is a light theme that uses blue colors.

Feel free to give critique and let me know what you all think! Or at least leave a comment. And of course, I hope you all enjoy these new skin selections.

So, any suggestions of another skin anyone would like to see made within the next two years next?

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Trinity
Trinity

Speaks In Animated Images

• Zelda
  • 5,329 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

I actually would have enjoyed the classic Gen III images of the pokés/overall style over the current Gen VI style. But I'm weird, so.

Also make something for toohoo

Edited by Trinity, 11 February 2015 - 08:10 AM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

Very nice. I like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. The Sweet Skin is eye hurting for me. My favourite and always will be is Skyward Sword. Thanks for your hard work.

Posted Image

Princess Elysia
Princess Elysia
  • Rattata
  • 262 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

Both new skins are nice, using Alpha.

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

These are GREAT! Nice job! I love the little touch of the icons for the messenger and notifications. I'll use the Alpha for a bit and if I have any feedback I'll let you know.

Skin Suggestion: Given that Smash is a big game for Nintendo and it puts together many franchises, I think that would be a good one to include.

Feedback 1: Just from looking at both skins quickly my feedback is the lack of forum logo or name in the banner. I think that in both of the pokemon logos marking the game if you just included in the middle of each a filled in circle, it would make it look like it was our logo merged into the game logo. Kind of like how the skyword sword skin does it.

Edited by Rhyme, 11 February 2015 - 12:26 PM.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

I actually would have enjoyed the classic Gen III images of the pokés/overall style over the current Gen VI style. But I'm weird, so.

Also make something for toohoo

Nerd

I might consider it

These are GREAT! Nice job! I love the little touch of the icons for the messenger and notifications. I'll use the Alpha for a bit and if I have any feedback I'll let you know.

Skin Suggestion: Given that Smash is a big game for Nintendo and it puts together many franchises, I think that would be a good one to include.

Feedback 1: Just from looking at both skins quickly my feedback is the lack of forum logo or name in the banner. I think that in both of the pokemon logos marking the game if you just included in the middle of each a filled in circle, it would make it look like it was our logo merged into the game logo. Kind of like how the skyword sword skin does it.

Thanks for the suggestion and feedback!

I agree that a Smash skin seems like the best choice currently. It's definitely a popular franchise.at least. I've also considered doing a Monster Hunter skin, since it seemed like a bunch of people here were planning on getting MH4 which comes out in a couple days. Choices to be made. I could just put up a poll later on after receiving enough suggestions though and see how that goes.

As for the feedback, I see your point and agree with it. Might be tricky to get away with adding the circle logo on the Omega skin as it's not perfectly round in the middle, but I'll have to see if I can work something out there. The Alpha skin should work out more smoothly though. Text placement should be fairly simple too, at least.

Edit: Well that didn't turn out so bad like I thought it would. Not perfect by any means, but it gets the job done nicely enough.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Not bad at all! I think it looks really good actually. I think your emboss effect is a bit too deep though for both skins. The light is hitting the top hard which is in poor contrast to the game logo. Otherwise I think the concept comes across well.

I'm not really even sure you need more skins here but if they are fun to make and you enjoy it then go for it. Just remember though the more you have the more you loose if you ever update and they can't transfer over.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

Lol, I was hoping no one would notice the over-embossness. Unfortunately I didn't notice it myself until like right after I closed the .psd and forgetting to save it. And after realizing that, I got frustrated at myself and decided to deal with it for the day. I'll probably fix it later.  :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:17 AM

Hahaha how could someone not notice it. It jumped right out at me when I clicked to come here. Not like it's an eye soar or anything, but it is definitely noticeable.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

People who don't dabble in art or design in any way tend to never notice things like that. To them, it might as well be considered perfect; But to other designers, it's a clear and noticeable error that needs fixing. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

AshleyInaba
AshleyInaba

I miss you

• Bulborb
  • 890 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

oh hey, I like the Sapphire one. Thank you Slasher~

Posted Image

The harder it is, the better it is.

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

Okay I did some looking around, and on the Omega skin in the profiles the very last section is missing the board for the top half of the section. The banner at the top also extends beyond the frame of the skin and cuts off the image so it looks miss placed. Finally this is just for consistency of color scheme, at the top right under the banner where it says "view new content" there is a nice easy shortcut link for the forum index, it should be red to match the skin theme.

Everything on the other skin looks fine.

Now from a more critical stand point. I actually don't like the banners on either skin because of how the logo looks over them. I'm also not sure where you got these renders from. Are they fan made or official art? I think that if they pokemon renders were smaller and off to the left so that the logo stood alone it would look better. I can see why you'd want to do the transparent image for the banner. Most places tend to use a straight box like banner so it does set it apart, but you also don't want it to look clunky and right now it does.

I really like the drop shadow effect on the text and user names too. Nice touch! Finally though, I'm not sure how I feel about the black vector circles on the section banners. It looks fine on the Omega skin, but it seems a bit out of place on the light skin since it's quite a contrast. It might also be nice instead of using some random vector brush to maybe do something a bit more representative of the game itself. Like maybe the pokemons element such as water and fire... so water bubbles for Alpha and and fire balls for omega. Just a thought.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

I don't think I quite understand the first part with the profiles. It all looks fine on my end. What browser are you using, and could I get a screenshot of it?

As for the banner, I'll touch upon that with your later statement about the banners.

And do you mean the icon next to View New Content? I'll see about fixing that, I was also wanting to fix how it jumps up so much when hovering over it since that was bugging me.

Now back to the banners, that's probably due to how I was working on a 1920x1080 resolution. I forgot to check it on lower resolutions, since I usually keep a site handy to help with that. Also, thinking of how to handle the banners in the first place was a huge pain. Because I can't really box it up without it looking completely out of place, and having a simple transparent render seemed sort of dull and awkward. But it was really the only option available to me, even after trying to talk about it to multiple different people previously. If I had the entire width to work with, it really wouldn't be much of an issue, but I don't.

But anyways, the only thing I can think of to do with the banners is to increase the saturation to make the colors pop more and match the logo better, and shrink them down so there's no overhang on lower resolutions. Either that or just find different renders I can use.

I could try making the circles white or an off-white instead and see how that works in the meantime. I've considered using the elements before, but I couldn't figure out how to make it look... fitting? Like, I could see bubbles working on the Alpha skin as they're nice and round, easy to randomize and make it look cool. But I wouldn't know how to exactly portray "fire balls" on the Omega skin without it looking like a jumbled mess.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

I took some snips but I can't figure out how to add attachments anymore. Did you remove the ability for users to add attachments? It's just an extra step to have to upload it some where and then come back to add a link or post the image. But I can do that if there isn't any other way, it's just not time effective.

Here are some good options you could do for the fire balls and bubbles

Fire flames

Magic Sphere - I think if you used more like orange and red this could make a nice fire like effect

Bubbles (This tutorial I created myself =D)

I viewed the site on IE and Firefox from my laptop and then safari on my iPad and all three where lacking a complete boarder on the last section in the user profile. So what I mean is that 3-5 pixel red line that outlines each section on the forum. The very last section in the user profiles that has the skype contact, the top part of that boarder is missing.

If you can't do much to the main banner then you can't do much and that's fine. It's not like it's bad or anything. Over all I love the skins. I actually decided to use the Omega one. I have always loved red/gray medium tone skins.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

Attachment settings have never been touched and everything looks to still be set to on and available to all members. So I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I'll try looking deeper into it when I get a chance though.

Thanks for the tutorial links.
That first tutorial seems nice, though oddly enough I like the third part of the first step of it the most. I could probably do something neat and different based off that step to help fit the feel of the skin better. The other steps make it look a bit too realistic and unfitting.
And the bubbles are really neat, I still might change a few things up though to still fit the theme better.

Hmm... That's really odd, I only see it on Internet Explorer (except I see it on all sections and not just the last one). But both Firefox and Chrome are perfectly fine for me. And the skin coding doesn't have anything that could cause the border to separate. Especially considering that was an issue I ran into when I worked on the skin a few months back and my fix for it worked perfectly fine on my end, along with other computers I've used since then. Unless you're using a Mac or something (though I'm not sure how an OS can affect browser viewing, but you never know).

I'll still think of something to do with the banner and try things out. And thanks for all the feedback of usage of one of the skins~

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

LOVE the new render for the omega skin! So cool that it's like he's eating the logo. Also love the change for the quick navigation. Very nice to use the elements.

The render choice for alpha is also really nice, sadly the logo is right in his face though. But I love the choices you're making.

As for the attachments issues, maybe it has something to do with my rank permissions. Not really sure on that.

I did look through everything on both new skins. I just had more comments for the omega. Nothing seemed off with the alpha. Not sure why there would be that broken boarder issue on some browsers and not all. I use a PC laptop though not a mac, but yeah the OS wouldn't affect web browsing.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

Thanks! Glad you like the changes.

I could probably change the logo on the Alpha skin so it doesn't run into the image, by shrinking the text and moving it back farther. That should solve the issue there at least.

I just checked the permissions and your rank still says it's set to have unlimited upload limit for posts and everything's enabled. So there's no issue there either. Although I did some tests myself and I couldn't upload any attachments as well. At least not until I clicked "Try our basic uploader" (still didn't work with that), then clicked "Try our advanced uploader" again and suddenly it started working again, as can be seen with my current attachment test here:

Yui_Chat.gif

Edit: Lol, I guess attachments like that don't show gifs being animated. But at least it still shows up.

Hmm... I just went and moved around some html code on the profile page so that it still works out, at least on my end. Let me know if that fixed it for you or not.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

I finally got around to changing my skin. I love this! Thought I'd never change from the Zelda skin because I liked it so much, but these are so cute! I love the way my username and notifications and whatnot appears at the top. Great job, TopBunk/Slasher/WhoeverYouAre!

Can we see a Majora's Mask 3D skin now???? xD

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Sunkissii
Sunkissii

Space Unicorn

• Armos Knight
  • 3,406 Posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Here's my response:

OXAIX9T.gif

Sorry I couldn't say much else. Good job anyways.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hahaha I figured it out Slasher. I didn't see the attachments option because I can't attach anything to a post on this board. I just noticed when I went to another board and used the full post editor I had the option.  derpytongue2.png