Photo

Next Skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

So, instead of just working on a skin on my own, and basically using them as guinea pigs for testing things while making them actual skins at the same time, like I have been doing so far. I figure this time I'll get some actual input beforehand on what everyone would like to see. This does not only include a theme, but also the format of the skin as well. How do you want things styled? Do you want things open and spacey like the Pokemon skins? Or perhaps more enclosed like the Classy skin? Maybe a banner like the Skyward skin? Or possibly an enclosed banner along with the rest of the content area? Would you prefer things to be dark, light, or neutral?

I could go on and on with more finer points too, but those are just some things to start off with.

Poll options could be made for all of these things, but I'd rather read them through posts themselves from everybody with more detailed input instead of just looking at poll results and being like "Okay, X amount of people want this, sounds good". So make sure to include plenty of details in what you all would like to see, everything from the theme to the layout style to even the color scheme.

And don't forget, the more enthusiasm there is for everyone wanting a skin, the more likely I'll get to work on it sooner rather than later (and my "later" could be anywhere from a month to a year from now). :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Fantasy Life skin!

You could use different bounty boxes for new threads/no new thread icons, The various landscapes throughout the game should serve for great inspiration on the background, and the various elements like the icons for the twelve different classes, various ores, etc., gives you a lot of elements to work with.

Also, FANTASY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE

Edited by Lugia Dragonite Guy, 12 March 2015 - 01:36 PM.

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Ammy
Ammy

I love you, I miss you.

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,596 Posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

I was thinking the other day, wondering if there might be a way to make some sort of alternative organization to boards and topics than the rectangular boxes. Maybe tiles, something else. I don't know. I'm pretty sure it is doable because I've seen skins done like that for lesser forum software, like phpbb.

As for design theme, I'm not sure what would go well with that really. I'm sure a lot of things could in actuality, it is just matter of picking one worth looking into. I think the problem with this topic is while it is wild and free, sometimes art doesn't do well without being constrained to rules. I think that perhaps a framework for the general sense of what would be needed should be provided with this. Perhaps limits on what sort of thematically inspired things you can do (only Nintendo franchises maybe?), anything technically constraining we don't know about, etc.

zjVHwFP.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:28 PM

I've never actually seen a different organization layout before like tiles are anything. Have any examples on hand I could check out? Might be something I'd be willing to try if I think it would look nice and be efficient. I'd still have to look into how to go about it, but I'm sure it's doable somehow.

I think just about anything would be fine. I guess Nintendo franchises would have been an obvious point I should have noted though.

There's really nothing else I'm specifically looking for though that would constrain any ideas. As long as they aren't super ridiculous like "I want a rainbow color scheme!". And there's really no limits on what I'm able to do with a skin. Anything and everything is doable. And I merely mean for this topic to help me sort through ideas and figure out what others would like to see done. The final decisions are still of course mine and I'm still free to do whatever I feel is best for my creations. But if I like the ideas I see, then I'll of course be using what I like. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Ammy
Ammy

I love you, I miss you.

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,596 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

I'd have to think longer on an idea for a theme suggestion in terms of a franchise to inspire it, because you already hit my two favorite Nintendo franchises.

This is the phpbb skin I mentioned, and in reality I guess it is more of a pseudo attempt at tiles than a serious one. It is really modeled after battle.net too though I think.

zjVHwFP.png

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

moar zelda

ifx75s.jpg

@Toadeh

majorasmask.jpg

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

I was thinking the same thing Ammy. As I am building this website and having tons of fun with CSS and jQuery, I think it would be fun to be able to change how the forum looks from traditional board style.

Maybe I'll try to get back on the Metroid Skin that I lost the content to.

Anyway, I vote a Mario skin. We're a Nintendo forum with no Mario. Seems a little silly.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

I'd have to think longer on an idea for a theme suggestion in terms of a franchise to inspire it, because you already hit my two favorite Nintendo franchises.

This is the phpbb skin I mentioned, and in reality I guess it is more of a pseudo attempt at tiles than a serious one. It is really modeled after battle.net too though I think.

That actually looks pretty neat and easy to work with if I were to set it up properly. I'm not sure if there's an easy-install plugin for it on this forum software or not though, I'd have to look into that (or have Mage do it if the plugin threads are blocked for non-site owners, like most usually are). If not, then there's probably a manual work around I can create. Should be doable even with just html, though it would be locked onto the single skin of course rather then being an optional thing.

@Grooms - As much as I love the Zelda franchise, I'd probably hold off on another one. Because like Spin said, we don't even have a Mario skin, and I'd also like to include other franchises as well before having a double (Pokemon skins being an exception in this case). Maybe once the next Zelda game comes out, then I might consider it, assuming other skins don't have any priority. :v

@Spin - Not having a Mario skin does seem silly, I suppose. I agree that there should be a Mario skin, but there haven't been any recent Mario games that really stood out to me to spark any inspiration there. Maybe if there's something that would be as big of a hit as when the Galaxy games came out, but I can't even remember if anything like that was announced recently. They've been advertising Mario Party 10 all over the place, but nothing else. And the MP games have always been pretty awful after 4.

Metroid falls under the same issue too. Other M was the last game released, and I'd like to see something new announced beforehand.

I'm not saying that I only want new things, but more recent things would be nice and easier to work with.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Well then throw a Splatoon Skin up. XD

hA0AZYy.png

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

@Grooms - As much as I love the Zelda franchise, I'd probably hold off on another one. Because like Spin said, we don't even have a Mario skin, and I'd also like to include other franchises as well before having a double (Pokemon skins being an exception in this case). Maybe once the next Zelda game comes out, then I might consider it, assuming other skins don't have any priority. :v

I was just being silly XD I agree a Mario skin would make the most sense. No recent Mario games have been super great but a retro one could be fun, like Super Mario Bros 3 themed <3

NEVERMIND SPLATOON GETS MY VOTE.

majorasmask.jpg

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

If I were to make a skin for that, it would look something like the Sweet Skin. Because all I think of when I see Splatoon is vomit. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

If I were to make a skin for that, it would look something like the Sweet Skin. Because all I think of when I see Splatoon is vomit. :v

Rude. Do you not like Splatoon or something?

hA0AZYy.png

GOOD_DOGE
GOOD_DOGE

"Make it quick."

• doge
  • 1,760 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

It'd be cool to see a Monster Hunter or Super Smash Bros. skin. :v

Trinity
Trinity

Speaks In Animated Images

• Zelda
  • 5,330 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

make something for toohoo

shrine bulletin board as notifications, Alice's mailbox as messages, Alice's doll next to your name at the top, ⑨ as the logo~

Edited by Trinity, 14 March 2015 - 03:24 AM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,796 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

cool to see a Monster Hunter 

Monster Hunter 

tumblr_m58depLNCK1r8058ko1_500.gif

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Rude. Do you not like Splatoon or something?

Indeed I do not.

Best themes are best.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:12 PM

Gotta agree with monster hunter here, stuff makes way too good of a skin,

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Gotta agree with monster hunter here, stuff makes way too good of a skin,

I was expecting a shitpost, but instead saw a post I approve of, and I agree it would it would make an excellent skin regardless of what I do with it. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Finally throwing in my two cents here.

I was looking through some of the skins available and was indeed disappointed to see that there is no Mario skin. how about we have one that uses Mario throughout the ages, different games, etc. Original 8-bit plumber we all know and love, Paper Mario, the blocky Mario from SM 64... Use Power-Up items as icons?

or just a generic skin with all the characters from the Mushroom Kingdom: Luigi, koopa, Bowser, princess Peach, donkey Kong, etc.

Or a skin with all of our favorite Nintendo characters: Mario, samus, DK, Link, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Finally throwing in my two cents here.

I was looking through some of the skins available and was indeed disappointed to see that there is no Mario skin. how about we have one that uses Mario throughout the ages, different games, etc. Original 8-bit plumber we all know and love, Paper Mario, the blocky Mario from SM 64... Use Power-Up items as icons?

or just a generic skin with all the characters from the Mushroom Kingdom: Luigi, koopa, Bowser, princess Peach, donkey Kong, etc.

Or a skin with all of our favorite Nintendo characters: Mario, samus, DK, Link, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.

First idea would be too clunky. Might be doable, but certainly wouldn't be as neat or clean as I'd like it to be. The different styles used would conflict with each other.

Second idea could possibly work, but at that point I might as well go the extra mile with the third idea and expand upon that to go for a Smash Bros. skin. Though an issue I'd have with a Smash Bros. skin is that it would already cover all other characters and prevent my form of motivation for future skins, which is essentially to make something not featured in other skins yet. Though it still might be up for consideration.

However, I'm currently content with going for the Monster Hunter skin idea. It seems to be the most agreed upon and one that most people would be enthusiastic for, from what I've gathered.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler