• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,914 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Hey guys, haven't seen much discussion about the Switch around, what do you all think of the idea of a hybrid console/portable?

Honestly I'm pretty pumped, especially considering that NIntendo seems to actually be marketing it properly! Super excited for the presentation on the 12th!

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,508 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

Hey guys, haven't seen much discussion about the Switch around, what do you all think of the idea of a hybrid console/portable?

Honestly I'm pretty pumped, especially considering that NIntendo seems to actually be marketing it properly! Super excited for the presentation on the 12th!

I'm actually excited for it myself. There are a few questionable things like if it will actually hold up to the power it says it will, and battery life when in portable mode. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all holds up. I do agree that they've been advertising it better than they have with previous consoles at least. Although some people have complained about things like Skyrim being shown for it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 300 Posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

I'm interested in it. It looks like it might be promising. Hoping it doesn't cost way too much though. 

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,508 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

I'm interested in it. It looks like it might be promising. Hoping it doesn't cost way too much though. 

Price range is estimated to be at $250-$300. Which isn't too bad, all things considered.

• B9M likes this

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,914 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Why were people complaining about Skyrim?

And I agree, they have to:

1. Have good computing power

2. Have good battery life

3. Be cheap

I don't know if they can pull those 3 off. 2 for sure, but all 3? We already know that they'll be cheap, that's like Nintendo's staple. So my guess is we're going to be shafted in 1 and/or 2. Probably a bit in both, but probably one more than the other. Either way, I'm excited to see what they can do!

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 300 Posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

Price range is estimated to be at $250-$300. Which isn't too bad, all things considered.

Yea that's not a bad price. Considering I'd have to save up for a tv as well.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,508 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

3. Be cheap

I don't know if they can pull those 3 off. 2 for sure, but all 3? We already know that they'll be cheap, that's like Nintendo's staple. So my guess is we're going to be shafted in 1 and/or 2. Probably a bit in both, but probably one more than the other. Either way, I'm excited to see what they can do!

People complained because supposedly Skyrim won't actually be available on the Switch. They only showed it as a means to say that they'll have third party support from Bethesda and the sort. So basically people are salty about the footage of the game being false

And my bets are on #2, with battery life being cut. Which wouldn't be too huge of an issue, if they were to allow portable charging. A simple battery pack could probably double or triple it's portable usage if they allow charging through means of USB.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,914 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Ah okay, I see how that would frustrate people! I guess we'll see in... 3 days!

Honestly, I'd be happier spending $400 if the Switch had a decent battery life and good quality hardware than less for a worse console...

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,107 Posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

$299.99... decent price!

2rcwyzs.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,508 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

Yes, $299.99 price. 3-5 hours of battery life, chargable by USB Type-C, microSD card slot, 32gb of base storage (if I remember hearing about that right). Sounds pretty solid. And pre-orders sold out within an hour and a half overnight. Though I'm more mad about LoZ Breath of the Wild Master Edition pre-orders selling out too.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

apathy
apathy
  • Adept
  • 3,820 Posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

i didnt get to watch the stream and instead am basing my opinion off other stuff i've seen online so correct me if i'm wrong about anything, but as it stands i'm unsure what i think of the nintendo photo-thumb-202.jpg?_r=1440934802

3. Be cheap

the only thing they managed to get was a good price (and even then retailers get to add profit to the base price, gamestop IE advertise it at €330 [$350 USD]).
in portable mode it runs at 720p@30fps and has a battery life of 2.5-6hrs. if thats as long as it can last then there was really no point in making it a hybrid, 6hrs is really a best-case scenario. i really can't imagine a scenario where portable mode would be of any use, i'd personally be too afraid it would die before i got a chance to save if i brought it out.

i'm skeptical about BOTW. i covered most of my thoughts in Sunnie's thread for BOTW here, but to add to that voice acting? i wouldn't mind if it was full voice acting of gibberish, in the same vein that the assistant from skyward sword (what was her name again?) just spoke entirely in what i assume was supposed to be hylian. if all of BOTW was voiced like that i'd be happy, it'd be great for world building and bringing the lore to life, you'd feel more immersed in the unique universe nintendo are trying to create. i'm worried now that it'll take itself too seriously (zelda's known for a good balance with lightheartedness!) or that it will just sound awkward. from the information we have i think BOTW is a bit too different from the rest of the series for me to enjoy it... like i commend them for trying something different, but everything they're doing to separate it from the rest of the series is a red flag IMO (open world, survival, crafting, MORE GIMMICKS that are NEVER executed well).

by the looks of things there's a bit of a draught after the initial launch titles come out until more interesting titles hit the shelves, but this is really opinion more than anything else.
if i picked one up i'd get BOTW with it, maybe I Am Setsuna later that month, and i'll say mario kart too to be generous. i am setsuna is a multiplat so at this stage i'd really only be getting it for BOTW. nothing else interests me personally except for the Shin Megami Tensei title which doesn't have an announced date. if i had to be even more generous i'll say i'd be interested in dragon quest & xenoblade, but by the looks of things they might not be out until the winter season.

and then there's the "pay for online" thing to. i know sony & microsoft both do this too, but its an absolute joke to be expected to pay for your own internet twice. it'd be different if the companies were hosting the servers themselves and you were paying them for that, but that isnt the case, each game developer hosts their servers, the big boys just put a paywall in front of you to line their pockets even more. one thing i will say sounds cool, is online users reportedly get an NES & SNES game for free each month. initially i laughed because 25 year old games that i can emulate with no problem should hardly be a dealbreaker, until i saw that *apparently* the SNES games will have online play. i'm not too well versed in the SNES library so i cant think of any games offhand where this would work, but if there are games that would suit then that IS a pretty nifty bonus.

EDIT: the free (S)NES games are apparently a rental and you lose access after a month, even if your online subscription is for a year. lol

so yeah, as it stands i probably won't be picking one up until later into its life cycle. i can't justify the price when i know i can just buy BOTW and make a personal dump to emulate the wii u version a few months after its release. i'll have to wait a bit longer for the shin megami tensei title unfortunately, but oh well. that all being said i definitely went half on a PS4 with my sister purely for persona 5

Edited by apathy, 13 January 2017 - 01:03 PM.

:: [Soundcloud] :: [Mixcloud] ::
deep/tech house

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,914 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

@apathy

That all sounds about right, and really does sum up my thoughts as well.

I'm disappointed about bringing motion controls back, just to add gimmicks to more gimmicks. I was hoping it would be a return to more traditional gameplay, but since it is Nintendo, I don't know why I bothered thinking that!

The price - In Canada, it is $400. And comes with no games. 1, 2, Switch is a collection of minigames that is the cost of a full game at probably $60 Canadian. It should have been a pack-in game like Wii Sports and a lot of people are not happy about that, myself included. A full set of Joy-cons is like $80-90 Canadian, as is the Pro controller, while a new dock is about $110 Canadian. It's simply ludicrous to expect all of that and have it not come with a game.

Launch titles - I think BotW will be pretty good. I've never been interested in Zelda games before but this one really seems to be something I can get into. I'm personally pretty hyped about it. And... that's about it for the launch. It's kind of terrible, they should have had MarioKart 8 Deluxe ready for launch, no idea why that wouldn't be possible but okay Nintendo.

Overall, I'm still interested in the Switch, but won't get it at launch unless things change. I was hoping they'd say something about the rumoured Gamecube virtual console, or go in more detail about the online but no that's just something we'll have to wait and see, apparently. Nintendo kind of let us down, so they better work their butts off to fix some of this. But I already know they won't.

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,531 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'm weak. I dropped about $540 CAD on a Switch and Breath of the Wild.

REGRETS DO NOT LIVE IN THIS HOUSEHOLD.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,107 Posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Well, I have mine on pre-order through Best Buy (luckily I work there anyway), as well as BOTW, but I'm thinking I'll end up cancelling it beforehand; I have some debt I need to manage that's a little on the high side atm, plus the weak launch lineup doesn't really appeal to me. I'll still probably end up with BOTW, but I'm thinking the Wii U version might suit me just fine for now.

But as it stands, the Special Edition(s) are only on NS...

Edited by Bounty, 18 January 2017 - 03:42 PM.

2rcwyzs.png

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,914 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

I'm weak. I dropped about $540 CAD on a Switch and Breath of the Wild.

REGRETS DO NOT LIVE IN THIS HOUSEHOLD.

Nice! Is that the special edition BotW?

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,531 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Nice! Is that the special edition BotW?

Regular as of now. Apparently EBGames is supposed to be getting the special edition for pre-order at some point, so I'll Switch (Heh) over to that if I get the chance.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,531 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Well, just nabbed a Pro Controller pre-order on Amazon Canada. The Switch is now running me about $640. Wooooooo

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,914 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

That is kind of frightening, actually. Like $300 isn't bad but then WHOOPS CANADA and WHOOPS ZELDA and geez... It's a lot to drop at once so I'm not sure if I'll get one immediately. It does look damned good though,

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,531 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

That is kind of frightening, actually. Like $300 isn't bad but then WHOOPS CANADA and WHOOPS ZELDA and geez... It's a lot to drop at once so I'm not sure if I'll get one immediately. It does look damned good though,

Then on Friday WHOOPS PRE-ORDERED A SPECIAL EDITION ZELDA, TOO

HA HA HA HA

FUNNY HOW THAT HAPPENS.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,531 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

So uh

Hmm

Yep

That running total of money spent on stuff releasing March 3rd certainly looks to be in excess of $1000 CAD

Sure does

Edited by PsychoDuck, 12 February 2017 - 05:48 PM.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users