• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,949 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hey guys, I know we all haven't been around much lately, and that's why I think this thread is a good idea! Instead of us posting bits and pieces of our lives in the chat thread, how about we catch up in this one?

Basically, what happened to you in 2017? What were your highlights? Who are you right now and where are you at?

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,949 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

I guess I'll start, I only have a little bit of time but I'll type up what I can! And yes, I'll have many pictures to share in the future!

Basically, 2017 was me working on my Master's. My field season started in April, and I managed 7 students starting in May, which then went down to 5 students from June-August. We caught 62 fish of the species I'm studying, and performed surgery on them implant a tracking device! It was awesome. And a bunch of stuff in between as well, I had a lot of trackers placed throughout the river system to tell me when the fish passed by. I then defended my PhD proposal in front of my committee and now I'm doing a PhD on this study and will hopefully be graduating in May of 2020!

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,554 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

Neat, sounds like you've been making good progress on things!

I've still been slow on the uptake of adulting. Life is hard.

Nothing really eventful happened for me, aside from getting a new job working at UPS, dealing with auditing international packages for export. I'll still be bartending over the summer for my summer job when that starts back up in May, but only on the weekends.

I've also been learning to drive, albeit slowly. I only get one (maybe two if I'm lucky) days to practice a week. It's hard to find practice time to fit around my dad's schedule along with my own.

That's about it for me. Most of the year is pretty fuzzy to me because nothing special really happened.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,545 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

2017 was pretty alright for me. I was steadily employed most of the year and had some decent cash flow to pour into my game collection, which I really need to get around to properly photographing... Anyways, 2017 was pretty much just a big ol' pile of work for me, right up until I got suddenly laid off less than two weeks before Christmas, because that's a neat thing to do to someone. Now I'm kinda floating in unemployed limbo. That's less fun. Oh well, I gotta just try to keep moving, got a job fair to attend in a few days, maybe that'll help me out.

2018... really no clue what to expect. We shall see.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,554 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

@PsychoDuck Ouch, that sucks to hear with getting laid off like that. Good luck with the job fair and finding a new job. Maybe you'll even find something better than what you had.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,819 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Quite a bit has changed for me. I graduated from tech school last January and started working more with my brother. We mostly worked on con stuff until October. It was a big success (I got to cosplay for the first time in ages). ^_^ He started paying me in December-not long before I stopped working at The Fresh Market. I also started drawing once a day due to a friend. I could post these drawings in my art thread if you guys would like to see them (although I would probably end up quadruple posting considering the activity 8'D). 

So yeah, lots of good changes took place. So did a fair amount of stress and anxiety. XD;;

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

GOOD_DOGE
GOOD_DOGE

"Make it quick."

• doge
  • 1,763 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

2017 went by fast, but it was pretty cool. I had quit my retail job to focus on school full-time, and so far I've acquired a certificate in general business and a certificate in nature photography (sadly I haven't been published yet like some of my more successful classmates D': ). I went on to switch my major from business management to communications (it's a liberal arts program, but hopefully it won't be useless) and should graduate after fall of 2018 with an associate's degree. I'm still unemployed but have occupied some of my time by applying to my school's "ambassador program" where I represent the college at events and various volunteer opportunities. I'd like to find a job this year, but I might end up just waiting until my classes are finished. Besides school, I've pretty much been playing video games and sort of taught myself to play piano (still needs work though). 

Looking forward to a good time in 2018!

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,949 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

@Top Bunk I'm sorry that not much has happened yet, but take heart, I'm sure things will turn around soon! And good on you for working on driving! Even if you don't get a chance often, it's definitely a useful skill to have! And it does take time to learn and build confidence, but I know you'll do wonderfully with it if you persist!

@PsychoDuck That is the worst, I'm sorry to hear that! :( What sort of job field are you in? Hopefully something will be just around the corner, and good luck at the job fair!

@Sanji07 Hey congratulations (belated) on your graduation! I'm glad things are looking up! I would love to see a "best of" for your art if you would be willing to share!

@GOOD_DOGE Yeah school and work don't necessarily mix the best, but congratulations on getting the certificates! As someone who works in nature, I would love to see your pictures! And don't compare yourself to your classmates, honestly some people just get lucky breaks, but it doesn't diminish your work at all! It sounds like things are going well for you, I hope it continues on in 2018 and you're able to find a steadier job!

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,819 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:23 AM

@Hugh A "best of"? Eheh, I'm not really sure how to choose which pieces are the "best". I mean, they're mostly simple headshots and stuff. ^^;;

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,545 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

@PsychoDuck That is the worst, I'm sorry to hear that! :( What sort of job field are you in? Hopefully something will be just around the corner, and good luck at the job fair!

Heh, "job field"... I wish I could describe my type of work with such a slick sounding term. Last job was just in maintenance for an online retailer's warehouse. I'll be looking for something more or less similar at the job fair. The local transit authority's gonna be hiring there, I'd like to get in with them. Time will tell.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,949 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

@PsychoDuck You mean it isn't a literal field of jobs where you just go out and pick one that's hopefully ripe and squishy? I'm really missed the mark this time!

Ah okay, that makes sense! You looking at getting involved in the subway business? Note: I'm not 100% sure if Toronto has a subway system.

@Sanji07 Haha well I suppose in this context, which pieces are you favorites! Maybe with a short writeup or story behind each if you were willing!

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,819 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

@Hugh Oh yeah that'd be cool! ^_^

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,545 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

@PsychoDuck
Ah okay, that makes sense! You looking at getting involved in the subway business? Note: I'm not 100% sure if Toronto has a subway system.

With how puny it is, even some people who live here aren't sure if we have a subway system... we're getting a pretty kickass new LRT line in a few years, though.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,949 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

With how puny it is, even some people who live here aren't sure if we have a subway system... we're getting a pretty kickass new LRT line in a few years, though.

Dang that's the worst! But I'm jealous of you guys getting an LRT. We need a better solution here because our bus routes are TERRIBLE.

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,545 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Dang that's the worst! But I'm jealous of you guys getting an LRT. We need a better solution here because our bus routes are TERRIBLE.

"Getting" the LRT is the best way to put it. They've been working on this for a couple years already and it's not even due to open until 2022. Work is noticeably happening though. They've got huge sections of road chewed up and big excavation sites in several places. No rail placed down yet, but we've got time I guess. It's gonna be cool.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,554 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

"Getting" the LRT is the best way to put it. They've been working on this for a couple years already and it's not even due to open until 2022. Work is noticeably happening though. They've got huge sections of road chewed up and big excavation sites in several places. No rail placed down yet, but we've got time I guess. It's gonna be cool.

I hope the whole setup for the LRT is not as simplified as that picture. No warning lights for oncoming trains that could potentially be passing through high traffic roads, no protection along the rails to prevent people from attempting to run across. Things like that.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,545 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

I hope the whole setup for the LRT is not as simplified as that picture. No warning lights for oncoming trains that could potentially be passing through high traffic roads, no protection along the rails to prevent people from attempting to run across. Things like that.

Nah man, we're going anarchy with our trains, they'll probably even leap off the track and suckerpunch children

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Shoe
Shoe

I didn't do it

• Bulborb
  • 852 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

I like this thread. I like reading these kind of things.

A lot of you have some interesting stuff going on.

@Hugh thats cool that you're doing your own research projects and are even teaching students now. I still remember reading, many years ago, about your early years when you were just getting into that field. Its neat to hear how far you've come. Best of luck to you with your PhD.

@Top Bunk I am glad to hear you've gotten to practice driving more with your dad. I have forgotten to ask you about that, but it sounds like you're making progress with your dad so thats better than what  you told me last time.

@PsychoDuck sorry to hear about being laid off. The transit sounds neat though, so I hope you're able to get in with them. When is the job fair? Did you go to it already?

@Sanji07 I haven't checked with you in awhile, so wow I didn't know you were doing all these things. You went to tech school? Congrats on graduating. What kind of tech specifically are we talking about? What kind of work does your brother pay you for? Also, if you're worried about posting too much art then how about sharing the ones you are most proud of? Kind of like what Hugh suggested.

@GOOD_DOGE that ambassador program sounds like it might be a good way for you to meet people and make some connections. It may sound like a small volunteer role, but you'd be surprised the connections you can make if you act as friendly as I remember you. Also nature photography is one of my favorite things. If you like identifying animals/insects in your area, I recommend the iNaturalist app or (website if you're putting photos on your computer from your camera). Its super cool, I use it all the time to take pictures of the natural flora and fauna around me and at the same time learn what it all is. Best of luck to you in finding a job when you're ready. It can definitely be pretty tricky to balance work and school at the same time.

As for me, I'll try be brief since I am infamous for being long-winded. I switched major from nursing to paralegal studies in fall of 2016, and graduated with an associate of science degree in paralegal studies one month ago. I am now working towards getting my AA transfer degree, which in Florida allows you to transfer to any Florida university of your choice (which is awesome).
Farm life is pretty much same old same old. But I have pet pigeons now, and they are awesome and I love watching them fly around up in the sky. I went to Honduras in summer of 17 on a mission trip to visit families my church supports there, and that was pretty incredible. Also I got a new job 2 months ago. I work at the office of the attorney general (of Florida) in our disctricts criminal appeals division. The bureau chief was one of my professors, so it was an easy in. I'm just doing grunt work, but its a good start.

Edited by Shoe, 13 January 2018 - 12:10 AM.

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

• Pikachu
  • 8,545 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

@PsychoDuck sorry to hear about being laid off. The transit sounds neat though, so I hope you're able to get in with them. When is the job fair? Did you go to it already?

The job fair's on Tuesday. Nervousness setting in as we speak.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Shoe
Shoe

I didn't do it

• Bulborb
  • 852 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

The job fair's on Tuesday. Nervousness setting in as we speak.

You got this PD. Dress nice, don't forget to wash (ducks bathe, right?), wear your lucky underwear, cry yourself to sleep the night before, and just try your best. Be prepared for a series of mini-interviews as that is what job fairs usually are. Make sure to spend stupendous hours in advance practicing how best to hold your resume with one hand.

But in all seriousness, give it your best shot and I hope it works out well. It may sound counter-intuitive, especially for me since I am an obsessive perfectionist, but it helps me calm my nerves for things like that by preparing for the worst. If I am preparing for an interview or speech, I reinforce to myself that it isn't the end of the world if it goes bad. When I accept the possibility of messing up or not getting what I want, then that takes a lot of pressure off (although not all of it) so I am more comfortable and perform better etc. If I am not so stressed about failing, then I am more focused on what I want to accomplish.

I hope something in there helps

Edited by Shoe, 13 January 2018 - 11:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users