• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Psychic Gamer
Psychic Gamer

Goomba

• Waddle Dee
  • 10 Posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

What games have you played that are hard or just plain brutal? I'm pretty sure Battletoads will show up quite a bit, but here are mine.

Dino Riki(When I got it I was thinking of Kid Niki)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(NES)
Little Nemo; Dream Master
Demon Sword
Deadly Towers
Kirby's Adventure(Ha!!! I kid, thats the easiest)
There was another NES game where you are in first person and have 4 in your party, you almost have no idea where your going, but you have a top-down map which doesn't make it much easier. It was an RPG.

I am not anything close to pro in gaming, so you may find some of these not that difficult, and I am sure I could do better if I had the attention span to keep playing some of them.

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

I don't think Deadly Towers was intended to be beatable. I hate that game so, so much.

The original version of Mother was pretty hard due to an insane encounter rate and tile=based movement. Thank God the GBA remake was easier. Final Fantasy III was also pretty hard and II wasn't hard, but I got sick of attacking myself.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) makes me rage. Especially on someone else's cell phone... >_>

The TMNT game on the GB was pretty hard... well, okay, only the final boss (you fight it on a conveyor belt and it rolls around, IIRC), but I could NOT beat that game. It was pretty awesome, though.

I haven't played very many extremely difficult games, but a lot of games seem to give me trouble. xD

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) makes me rage. Especially on someone else's cell phone... >_>

You mean "Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels"? I'm pretty sure that you could unlock Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) if you got a high score of like 500,000 points or something like that. And as for the "Lost Levels" in the Game Boy Color, I belive that is the very first time that those Japanese levels had made it overseas (since the Lost Levels were originally deemed too hard for Americans...). The Lost Levels never made a second appearance again until it became possible to download them via Wii Shop.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:O-YX2XFb3zSDUM:http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/sjoebo/Gameboy%2520Color/SuperMarioBrosDeluxe.jpg[/img]

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

You mean "Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels"? I'm pretty sure that you could unlock Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) if you got a high score of like 500,000 points or something like that. And as for the "Lost Levels" in the Game Boy Color, I belive that is the very first time that those Japanese levels had made it overseas (since the Lost Levels were originally deemed too hard for Americans...). The Lost Levels never made a second appearance again until it became possible to download them via Wii Shop.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:O-YX2XFb3zSDUM:http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/sjoebo/Gameboy%2520Color/SuperMarioBrosDeluxe.jpg[/img]

No, I'm talking about simply Super Mario Bros. 2 JP. "Lost Levels" is an enhanced port of SMB 2 JP. The Lost Levels thing was added on so Americans wouldn't get confused by the two SMB 2s. And it was in All-Stars before SMB Deluxe.

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

So...

• All Stars
  • Super Mario Delux
  • Wii Shop
I think...

Didn't it have 9 worlds and an "A-D" world instead of just 8? And what's with the "A-D" :?

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

My hardest games are:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (Online Mode)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
------------------------------------------

I think its partially cause I'm lazy. Somedays I don't feel like playing certain games, some days I do feel like playing certain games. I know its been a couple of months since I've touch the Legend of Zelda, and both Metroids. I'd still like to buy Corruption, I rented it, and it was awesome.

^^

I guess I'm not exactly what you call a 'supa-hard-core-gamer', I think I'm fairly hard-core. But not as much as before. Maybe its because of my intrest in the games I have. I usually won't play a game unless its online. Boy am I spoiled.

:P

Posted Image

Agentdvd
Agentdvd

Toad

• Monty Mole
  • 458 Posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

1. Posted Image Battletoads Battlemaniacs

Beating this game on multiplayer is my goal in life.
My new name is AgentDeleatur(pronounced deleter) feel free to call me AgentDVD if you still want though.

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

My hardest games are:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (Online Mode)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
------------------------------------------

I think its partially cause I'm lazy. Somedays I don't feel like playing certain games, some days I do feel like playing certain games. I know its been a couple of months since I've touch the Legend of Zelda, and both Metroids. I'd still like to buy Corruption, I rented it, and it was awesome.

^^

I guess I'm not exactly what you call a 'supa-hard-core-gamer', I think I'm fairly hard-core. But not as much as before. Maybe its because of my intrest in the games I have. I usually won't play a game unless its online. Boy am I spoiled.

:P

Twilight Princess? XD That's the easiest Zelda game I've played! It's the only one I've actually beaten and the only one that I can do by myself... so far. >_>; I used a walkthrough for the older ones because I little (well, more like under the age of 14) and stupid.

You no supa supa hardcore gamer!? D: That is not sugoi at all.

...and I'm the opposite. I think most online games are kinda lame, and Nintendo's online is just more blah to add onto my little interest. :/

Posted Image

GOOD_DOGE
GOOD_DOGE

"Make it quick."

• doge
  • 1,759 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

Donkey Kong 64. (Wasn't exactly the hardest, but it took awhile to beat).
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. (Once again, mostly long.)
The Legend of Zelda (FYI, the first one ever). (It's tough without a guide).
(Maybe) Gex 64: Enter the Gecko. (Getting to the last boss without cheats was hard).

There's probably more, but that's all of the names I can remember without sorting through all of my games.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

The Legend of Zelda (FYI, the first one ever). (It's tough without a guide).

LolYeah! :D

Those crazy retro games. So hard and intense it would make Chuck Norris cry. Apparently a "hard-core" gamer meant more back when there were games like Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Super Mario Bros. 1&2.

GOOD_DOGE
GOOD_DOGE

"Make it quick."

• doge
  • 1,759 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

LolYeah! :D

Those crazy retro games. So hard and intense it would make Chuck Norris cry. Apparently a "hard-core" gamer meant more back when there were games like Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Super Mario Bros. 1&2.

Yeah, retro games were pretty hardcore. Games back then were made to last. Today we have games that can be beaten in, like, 2 days or less. :

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, retro games were pretty hardcore. Games back then were made to last. Today we have games that can be beaten in, like, 2 days or less. :

The 'toughness' of games has gone day considerably. And I think its because Nintendo isn't focusing on hard-core gamers, and is more focusing on family games and such - which is okay, but after awhile, it gets annoying. I want a game that'll give me a challenge.

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

It depends on what your definition of "hardcore" is. Many games back then were simple to learn, fairly short, and pick-up-and-play friendly.

Posted Image

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

It depends on what your definition of "hardcore" is. Many games back then were simple to learn, fairly short, and pick-up-and-play friendly.

Well, by 'Hardcore', I mean the length, the strategy used to play the game. (Puzzles, mazes etc.) And the fact that you have to know at the least bit about the system your playing on to be able to play the game to its fullest. I think that the games back then were simple to learn and fairly short was because the video game era was just getting 'underway'.

I could be wrong though...

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

Well, by 'Hardcore', I mean the length, the strategy used to play the game. (Puzzles, mazes etc.) And the fact that you have to know at the least bit about the system your playing on to be able to play the game to its fullest. I think that the games back then were simple to learn and fairly short was because the video game era was just getting 'underway'.

I could be wrong though...

Hardcore (and casual) have different definitions for different people. I mean, I could argue that NES games are casual. Which is why when people discuss it, the threads get reaally, reeeeeaaaally long. XD

Posted Image

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hardcore (and casual) have different definitions for different people. I mean, I could argue that NES games are casual. Which is why when people discuss it, the threads get reaally, reeeeeaaaally long. XD

Hahaha...

Well, lets just say this. Nintendo needs to make some better games. xD I think overall, everyone agrees with that. At least -- they better...

But yeah. Some nice, long-to-beat, hard-to-play games that are considered hardcore or casual would be nice. ^^

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

I think what makes some old games really hardcore (like the original Legend of Zelda) is when conventions start up just to see who can speed run through the game the fastest. I think like how some people can beat the original Metroid in under 30 minutes (or was it 10?).

green glaceon
green glaceon

Waddle Dee

• Cheep-Cheep
  • 66 Posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

I thought Darkman for the NES was a bit hard. And also Madden NFL 2008, although I'm not that good at football agmes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Leon and Ada!!!!!!

evilkillerbunny
evilkillerbunny

Goomba

• Waddle Dee
  • 24 Posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

• Lunar: Eternal Blue (God those bosses are too hard)
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Final Fantasy III (DS)
  • Expert on Guitar Hero III (Wii)
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Grandia (I have beaten it before though :D AWESOME GAME!)

The Lunar is for PS1.. I was just saying that IT IS TOO HARD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users