• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

When it really comes down to it, do you actually enjoy NES games?

I mean, let's face it... more often than not they're sadistically difficult, lack game saves or even password systems, have generic concepts, and look like they were whipped up in about 15 minutes.

Even after agreeing with these facts, I still consider myself an NES fan. I just recently beat the original Castlevania, and admit that it was probably one of the most challenging gaming experiences I've ever had... but I loved every minute of it. ^_^

So, what do you think? Are NES games worth playing after all?
~STILL Russia Chick's No. 1 Fan! Yep, My passion's still going strong!~

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

To be honest, not so much.

While there are NES games that I do enjoy, I like my games to have a bit more depth, a better translation/script/story, and easy enough for me to beat it. >_> I'm fine with SNES, though.

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

I find NES games to still be fun. If I had a working NES console, since all 3 of mine are broken, I probably would still play games on it from time to time.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Chi no Juujika
Chi no Juujika

Tales of Awesome

• Goomba
  • 8 Posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

NES games are definitely worth playing, I still enjoy NES games (especially the Castlevania ones); they have their own little charm to them. Even though by today's standards NES music is primitive, I still enjoy listening to those beeps.

Concerning difficulty level, sometimes I just feel like pulling my hair out when I play some of the games, but that just adds to the charm of it in my opinion. On a side note, no gamer can be considered a true gamer until they've beaten Castlevania II: Simon's Quest without a guide.
Posted Image

GOOD_DOGE
GOOD_DOGE

"Make it quick."

• doge
  • 1,757 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

NES games are cool to play. Every step is another look at gaming history!

My favorite NES game was the first LoZ. It was hard, but I beat it! (With a guide). I actually had fun! :yoshi:

I do prefer games from today's era over old NES games and such.

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

I beat the Legend of Zelda without a guide, but I eventually got stuck in the final dungeon of Zelda II. And that's where I've been stuck for years now. O_o

And... I'm going to beat Castlevania II. Without a guide... eventually. XP

I just need time, that's all.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

Back in the NES era, I didn't have internet access or any source to use for guides. So I had to beat games without using guides or anything. Although, o this day, I still don't use guides for games. With the exception of sidequests that aren't really important except for 100% completion.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Depends on the game, but I generally do. I really don't mind difficulty or a lack of saving, though controls in older games sometimes annoy me (Mother's controls were almost unbearable. I hate slow, tile-based movement).

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,781 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

I've never played any so I don't know.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

...Castlevania 2's aggravating me. >_>

It's annoying how you have to wait until it's daytime to heal yourself at a church.

But the music's still enjoyable... I could listen to Bloody Tears all day. (Something about that sounded emo...)

Chi no Juujika
Chi no Juujika

Tales of Awesome

• Goomba
  • 8 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

...Castlevania 2's aggravating me. >_>

It's annoying how you have to wait until it's daytime to heal yourself at a church.

But the music's still enjoyable... I could listen to Bloody Tears all day. (Something about that sounded emo...)

You should probably use a guide; Castlevania II is very unexplanatory in nature. Also, any of the tips the game gives you are extremely vague. Yesterday I managed to get Dracula's Rib in the first mansion after about five time game overs..., and then I got lost in a forest trying to find the next mansion and wound up in the previous town. I'll probably have to use a guide. Oh, and make sure you buy holy water before you go into the first mansion; you're going to need it...

Bloody Tears is a popular song among Castlevania fans, I think I have about five or more versions of it on my computer.
Posted Image

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

You should probably use a guide; Castlevania II is very unexplanatory in nature. Also, any of the tips the game gives you are extremely vague. Yesterday I managed to get Dracula's Rib in the first mansion after about five time game overs..., and then I got lost in a forest trying to find the next mansion and wound up in the previous town. I'll probably have to use a guide. Oh, and make sure you buy holy water before you go into the first mansion; you're going to need it...

Bloody Tears is a popular song among Castlevania fans, I think I have about five or more versions of it on my computer.

I might give in and use a guide.... but I'll see ho far I can get without one first.

I finally reached the first mansion (with holy water, of course!). I hate those stupid mermen on the way to the mansion, though... they always give me a cheap, watery death. >_>

And I have a lot of Bloody Tears remixes, too. Some of the OCRemix ones are pretty good.

Chi no Juujika
Chi no Juujika

Tales of Awesome

• Goomba
  • 8 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

I might give in and use a guide.... but I'll see ho far I can get without one first.

I finally reached the first mansion (with holy water, of course!). I hate those stupid mermen on the way to the mansion, though... they always give me a cheap, watery death. >_>

And I have a lot of Bloody Tears remixes, too. Some of the OCRemix ones are pretty good.

Yeah that happens; there is always some enemy right next to a pit that pushes you in. You just have to be patient and spam your whip and holy water. I highly suggest breaking down and using a guide, especially if you want the best of the three endings. In order to get it you have to beat the game in less than eight hours with a small use of continues. X_X

Oh, and if you ever want any Castlevania songs I can get them for you or show you where you can find them if you want.
Posted Image

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

Yeah that happens; there is always some enemy right next to a pit that pushes you in. You just have to be patient and spam your whip and holy water. I highly suggest breaking down and using a guide, especially if you want the best of the three endings. In order to get it you have to beat the game in less than eight hours with a small use of continues. X_X

Oh, and if you ever want any Castlevania songs I can get them for you or show you where you can find them if you want.

Yeah, I think I might. D:

And I'll keep your offer about the music in mind! That's pretty awesome of you.
:'D

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

Wow, there are more Castlevania fans here than just me?

I'm so happy. ;_;

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

Wow, there are more Castlevania fans here than just me?

I'm so happy. ;_;

Yep, I'm about as Castlevania-obsessed as Castlevania-obsessed can get. XD

You're into Castlevania also, Decho?! :'D

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

Yep, I'm about as Castlevania-obsessed as Castlevania-obsessed can get. XD

You're into Castlevania also, Decho?! :'D

Yep. :'D I've played every game in the series and beaten most.

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

Yep. :'D I've played every game in the series and beaten most.

HOLY CRAP! Every game in the series!? And I thought I was a fanatic. XD

I've played Castlevania 1, 2, Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, and OoE. I plan on getting Symphony of the Night sometime soon... It sounds really fun. ^_^

What do you think of Castlevania Judgement?

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

HOLY CRAP! Every game in the series!? And I thought I was a fanatic. XD

I've played Castlevania 1, 2, Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, and OoE. I plan on getting Symphony of the Night sometime soon... It sounds really fun. ^_^

What do you think of Castlevania Judgement?

Oh wait, I forgot about Lament, Curse, and Judgement. D: Haven't played those yet, but I want to.

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Oh wait, I forgot about Lament, Curse, and Judgement. D: Haven't played those yet, but I want to.

Lament's pretty cool story-wise (what little story it has, anyways), Curse of Darkness is easily one of my favorites, and Judgement is still a mystery. :0

Judgement LOOKS pretty fun. I'll probably get it once it's a bit cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users