• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hey, I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite ragtime RPGs are. And when I mean Classic, I mean mainly NES, Super Nintendo, Gameboy and Gameboy Color. This whole pre-3D deal where games relied on gameplay moreso than graphics.

So, what are everyone's favorite RPGs? I'm looking for new ones to play and wish to pawn some cool stuff off on anyone else who's interested myself.

NES:
Legacy of the Wizard(Multiple character humongous side scroller)
Crystalis(weird awesome lets shoot with a sword and collect bouncing coins nutsness)
Swords & Serpents(One of those old fashiones maze games that only I appreciate, if you haven't given this typ of game a chance do so with this one)
AD&D: Pools of Radiance(Do not do so with this one, this one just becomes really cool if you've played tons of Swords & Serpents)

SNES:
Help =[

Gameboy and GBC:
Pokemon Yellow(Like you don't know)

All of my experience base with video games resides in the lairs of Nintendo Entertainment System, and I wish to expand some knowledge by way of RPG and this is a cool way to do so.

Zelda is not an RPG.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

For SNES, I thought Illusion of Gaia was pretty cool. It plays somewhat like Zelda, but there's combos and whatnot. I thought the whole transformation thing and the level up system was pretty neat. Story was fairly interesting despite the terrible writing and odd pacing.

Rather than try and think of more, I'll just let someone who has played a lot more older RPGs than I have to recommend more.

Posted Image

Megayanma
Megayanma

problem dogg fan since 2016

• Thwomp
  • 647 Posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Earth. Bound.

Also the classic Pokemon games.

1055oxi.gif

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Definitely Dragon Quest V from the SNES, although I've been playing the DS remake. Also, Super Mario RPG is massively awesome.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

For SNES, I thought Illusion of Gaia was pretty cool. It plays somewhat like Zelda, but there's combos and whatnot. I thought the whole transformation thing and the level up system was pretty neat. Story was fairly interesting despite the terrible writing and odd pacing.

You forgot the part about Snail Pie. :U

Anyways, here are a few of mine from the SNES era:

Earthbound

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Evermore (Mainly hated for not being Japanese enough and for rumors that it's the reason Seiken Densetsu 3 never came out in America. It's a solid game, though.)

Terranigma

All of them (Maybe with the exception of Terranigma) are fairly well known, so you probably all ready have heard of them.

Sensei Waddle
Sensei Waddle

Back to this

• Magikoopa
  • 2,154 Posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

-Chrono Trigger(SNES)
-Earthbound (SNES)
- All Pokemon games of that generation.
- Paper Mario (N64)
Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

...no, Zelda is not an RPG. :0 Besides Zelda II. To be an RPG, you have to have stat gaining and other stuff and etc. etc. and Zelda doesn't have that etc. etc. Zelda is an action-adventure etc. etc. etc. yeah.

Posted Image

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

...no, Zelda is not an RPG. :0 Besides Zelda II. To be an RPG, you have to have stat gaining and other stuff and etc. etc. and Zelda doesn't have that etc. etc. Zelda is an action-adventure etc. etc. etc. yeah.

What she said. No Zelda besides Zelda II: The Adventure of Link can be called an RPG.

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Sensei Waddle
Sensei Waddle

Back to this

• Magikoopa
  • 2,154 Posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

I edited my post. Now you'll look like complete flangdoodles if you don't edit yours. D:<

FLANGDOODLE DISEASE STRIKES AGAAAAIN!
Posted Image

Megayanma
Megayanma

• Thwomp
  • 647 Posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

Wait, where was there stat gaining in Zelda II?

EDIT: Yay, Fire Flower rank.

1055oxi.gif

Acgamer
Acgamer

Funny Title

• Armos Knight
  • 3,147 Posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

GBC:
Pokemon Blue/Red
Pokemon Crystal

SNES:
Super Mario RPG

N64:
Paper Mario (My second favorite RPG ever. Right after Paper Mario 2. :P)

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

I edited my post. Now you'll look like complete flangdoodles if you don't edit yours. D:<

FLANGDOODLE DISEASE STRIKES AGAAAAIN!

But since you mentioned it just now, there is proof that you did in fact call Zelda an RPG, so there. >:U

Wait, where was there stat gaining in Zelda II?

EDIT: Yay, Fire Flower rank.

Yes, you could gain levels from fighting monsters, right? I'm pretty sure you could, since there were experience points.

Posted Image

Megayanma
Megayanma

• Thwomp
  • 647 Posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

But since you mentioned it just now, there is proof that you did in fact call Zelda an RPG, so there. >:U

Yes, you could gain levels from fighting monsters, right? I'm pretty sure you could, since there were experience points.

Oh, okay. I never was too into that game.

1055oxi.gif

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Well.... NES... when it really comes down to it, I don't think the NES had too many good RPGs. Most had too many faults to be very enjoyable. But the SNES.... WOW. :'D

The SNES had Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy II and III, and a lot of other games I forgot about.... unfortunately, though, the best ones (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, etc.) only came out in Japan. >_>

Not to mention FFIII's probably the best RPG ever.

YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT. FFIII (US) >>>>>>> FFVII.
~STILL Russia Chick's No. 1 Fan! Yep, My passion's still going strong!~

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Well.... NES... when it really comes down to it, I don't think the NES had too many good RPGs. Most had too many faults to be very enjoyable. But the SNES.... WOW. :'D

The SNES had Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy II and III, and a lot of other games I forgot about.... unfortunately, though, the best ones (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, etc.) only came out in Japan. >_>

Not to mention FFIII's probably the best RPG ever.

YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT. FFIII (US) >>>>>>> FFVII.

all of my favorite RPGs are for the NES =[ any Final Fantasy game apart from the original just gets caught up in silly plots and repetitiveness, that and Earthbound starts as an NES beta.

But that's pretty cool for the SNES, I can give all of those a try. just a shame the whole dungeon RPG thing never continued past the NES XD graphics surpassed.

Zelda II is more like, half an RPG, but it is an RPG. It happens to be the Legend of Zelda game I grew up with, I started playing that around age three, which gave me both a positive aspect and a negative aspect to the zelda series: I new that the hero's name was 'Link', which can be confusing for people who grew up with the original or SNES games, which is cool, but I got used to Zelda games being like an RPG and it remained my favorite, I never got the pleasure of finding a better Zelda game.

But yes, you gain stats from fighting enemies, and the stats go towards different skills: Health, Magic, uhm, killing? there's a symbol of a sword. It's super dandy. That's pretty much the only aspect though, there's no money to gain and everything is linear, to be a true RPG there would be expirimentation involved, or perhaps one or two sidequests.

AlphaBlue-09
AlphaBlue-09

Troll, Retired

• Koopa Troopa
  • 628 Posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

Fire Emblem. The original. What a freaking classic. Great that they remade it for DS.

Final Fantasy. The original. Grindgrindgrindgrindgetlostoh****wheredoIgogrindgrindgrindgrindgrind.

Mother 2 (a.k.a. Earthbound). Pokemon Red and Blue. Yellow, not so much. Also Dragon Quest Monsters for the superior breeding system. Super Mario RPG was also fun.

And the whole "RPG" thing is debatable. There's the true meaning of RPG, meaning role-playing game (in which case you can pretty much throw just about any game into the genre), and then there's the other RPG. There are no "set requirements" for the latter beyond some sort of stats-based leveling system, which Zelda II: The Adventure of Link clearly included.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Definitely Dragon Quest V from the SNES, although I've been playing the DS remake. Also, Super Mario RPG is massively awesome.

Sweet, I bought and am playing Dragon Quest V as well.

Here's a list of all my favorite RPG games.
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door
  • All Pokemon Games
  • Dungeon and Dragon games They need to make some of these
  • Final Fantasy Games

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Sweet, I bought and am playing Dragon Quest V as well.

Here's a list of all my favorite RPG games.

• Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Paper Mario
  • Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door

These aren't really classic RPGs. XD They're either too recent and or 3-D.

You, play Secret of Evermore if you haven't already. D:<

Also, I'm going to back Fire Emblem 1, 3, and 4.

1's dated, but you're into oldschool games so I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it, 3 has a slightly remade version of 1 in it (It's missing a few maps and characters (Albeit none were major), but I think a few aspects of the gameplay were updated) and the sequel (The third game itself), and 4 is just an all-around amazing game. Definitely the best in the series, in my opinion.

Marth219
Marth219

Amazing Grace

• Monty Mole
  • 383 Posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

You, play Secret of Evermore if you haven't already. D:<

Also, I'm going to back Fire Emblem 1, 3, and 4.

1's dated, but you're into oldschool games so I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it, 3 has a slightly remade version of 1 in it (It's missing a few maps and characters (Albeit none were major), but I think a few aspects of the gameplay were updated) and the sequel (The third game itself), and 4 is just an all-around amazing game. Definitely the best in the series, in my opinion.

*Agrees*

Secret of Evermore? As in the sequel to Secret of Mana? ...Yeah, I should play that sometime. XD
Is it co-op by chance? :0
~STILL Russia Chick's No. 1 Fan! Yep, My passion's still going strong!~

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

*Agrees*

Secret of Evermore? As in the sequel to Secret of Mana? ...Yeah, I should play that sometime. XD
Is it co-op by chance? :0

It's not really a sequel, it's a stand-alone game and fairly different in terms of story and atmosphere. I think the gameplay was slightly different also.

Unfortunately, no. D: Or at least I don't think so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users