Photo

Your Legacy System of Choice, and Why?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Legacy Systems: (Major ones only)

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Legacy Systems: (Major ones only)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

Former Administrator, '09.

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Well? Which system do you believe was the best? How was it the best? In what context is it the best? Is it because it has great games? Is it because it started ___ revolution in ___? Tell me, and tell the rest of the Pipeline why you think your system of choice was the best, or was the most preferrable!

I personally believe the N64 was the best. It lead the world into where it is now in terms of three-dimensional gaming, and pushed the boundaries of computing and technology at the time. Three Dimensional gaming was thought to be a waste of time; not viable for the market. Nintendo shattered this belief with the release of Super Mario 64, the first truly successful 3D game.

Not to mention, the N64 shares a spot in my childhood that will always be remembered.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

I would have to pick the Nintendo 64. It's the first system I ever got, and the first game I ever played was Super Mario 64. I loved it death and wouldn't stop until I got all 120 stars. Spoiler alert, once you get all stars Yoshi jumps to his death after giving you the 100-life thing. It pains to see Yoshi jump into the waterfall next to Peach's castle, so I didn't save. Wherever my Super Mario 64 cartridge is now, it still has my save on it with all stars collected, but no 100 lifes and that special "triple jump".

Paper Mario was also an awesome game. So far I've played it through three times now, once when I first got it, a second about two years ago, and a third about six months ago. The third time I played it, I cruised through it all in under a week, so perhaps I'll do it again sometime in the future and get five days. In addition to all this, I also watched a Let's Play of Paper Mario done by Faceguy and Wogturt.

For those of you who don't know, watching a Let's Play is essentially watching subsequent videos of someone playing through the whole entire game to completion; so there's thirty hours I won't be getting back.

Yoshi's Story is reason number three. That game is fricking awesome, but I feel so silly playing the game in front of anyone else (except for just one person I know - in real life, not you WY :3).

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

I'd say the NES. It was the only game console I had until I was in Grade 7! I had lots of fun playing Mario, Duck Hunt and Contra. Lots of fun was had. I still play it.

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

I would have to pick the Nintendo 64. It's the first system I ever got, and the first game I ever played was Super Mario 64. I loved it death and wouldn't stop until I got all 120 stars. Spoiler alert, once you get all stars Yoshi jumps to his death after giving you the 100-life thing. It pains to see Yoshi jump into the waterfall next to Peach's castle, so I didn't save. Wherever my Super Mario 64 cartridge is now, it still has my save on it with all stars collected, but no 100 lifes and that special "triple jump".

Paper Mario was also an awesome game. So far I've played it through three times now, once when I first got it, a second about two years ago, and a third about six months ago. The third time I played it, I cruised through it all in under a week, so perhaps I'll do it again sometime in the future and get five days. In addition to all this, I also watched a Let's Play of Paper Mario done by Faceguy and Wogturt.

For those of you who don't know, watching a Let's Play is essentially watching subsequent videos of someone playing through the whole entire game to completion; so there's thirty hours I won't be getting back.

Yoshi's Story is reason number three. That game is fricking awesome, but I feel so silly playing the game in front of anyone else (except for just one person I know - in real life, not you WY :3).

I'd clock someone in the face for dissin' Yoshi Story.

Neat Side Story: First game I ever rented was Yoshi Story; I rented it in '97, beat the game, and had a high-score. I put my name and the year 97 "SJS 97" as the name, and so it sat. It sat on the shelf, long after N64 became old and obsolete. I return in 2009 to the store, who was now going out of business. I found the game in a bargain bin for 10$. I picked it up. My name was still on that list from 12 years ago.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

I'd clock someone in the face for dissin' Yoshi Story.

Neat Side Story: First game I ever rented was Yoshi Story; I rented it in '97, beat the game, and had a high-score. I put my name and the year 97 "SJS 97" as the name, and so it sat. It sat on the shelf, long after N64 became old and obsolete. I return in 2009 to the store, who was now going out of business. I found the game in a bargain bin for 10$. I picked it up. My name was still on that list from 12 years ago.

Wow, that's awesome! So did you try to beat your old high score?

I got my copy of Yoshi's Story from a flea market. Some old 60-year old guy was selling a ton of N64 cartridges really cheap, from $5 to $10 each. With Yoshi's Story, I also got Banjo Tooie and Mario Kart 64.

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Gamecube. Sure, I played the 64 and Super Nintendo, but the Gamecube was what REALLY got me into gaming. So many great games. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Kirby Air Ride, Mario Party 6, Mario Kart: Double Dash.

So many great games. :D

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

JaKe
JaKe
  • Bulborb
  • 877 Posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Play station 1 was nice. Those old Crash Bandicoot games were good, until they changed the compony =/

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

I had a tough time choosing between NES or N64. But I went with the N64. The NES was great and started it all, but the N64 made huge improvements to the older games as well making awesome newer games. Games like SM64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, the LoZ games, etc. will never cease to amaze me, despite how old they are. Oh, and Kirby 64 has got to be the best kirby ever game made.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

N_GAMER
N_GAMER

Metaphors be with you.

• Rattata
  • 114 Posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

I love my GCN and will always remember it as an under-appreciated system with so a lot of amazing and revolutionary games left unplayed by many.

Posted Image

Wtfhaxxorz
Wtfhaxxorz

Toad

• Koopa Troopa
  • 518 Posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

Gamecube. Sure, I played the 64 and Super Nintendo, but the Gamecube was what REALLY got me into gaming. So many great games. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Kirby Air Ride, Mario Party 6, Mario Kart: Double Dash.

So many great games. :D

Yeah, I am pretty biased since the N64 was my first console, but the Gamecube had more variety/games that really made gaming for me.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

...does every not-current gen console count as legacy?

If so, I choose PS2 for it's huge library of quality games, and how it can play PS1 games, which doubles (triples, less, I really have no idea, to be honest) its library.

If not, SNES because it has fun games.

Posted Image

Gr33n
Gr33n

The Trio Master

• Blooper
  • 1,288 Posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

gameboy + pokemon = begging of my life of video game love

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

PS3 it seems they stopped making games for it.
Have you heard the term "PS3 has no games", that is my point.

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Fluttershy
Fluttershy

*HUUUUUUUUFFFFF* ...yay

• Kremling
  • 1,151 Posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

SNES, because of its wonderful game library, such as SMW, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X, Aero the Acrobat and the sequel, Clay Fighter, Cool Spot(Say what you will), the Donkey Kong Games, Earthbound, the Earthworm Jims, Kirby Superstar, Link to the Past, Secret of Evermore, Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Super Punch Out!!, and Yoshi's Cookie.
All of those are games I personally have played, and enjoyed, firsthand. This is why you will not see Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid or other such things on here. I either haven't played them, or, in some cases, plain don't like them.
Posted Image
Clicky Clicky!

Nathan_Xylar
Nathan_Xylar

The Paladin of Chivalry

• Kremling
  • 1,093 Posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

I'd probably have to go with the 'ever-popular' N64 because of the role it's played in my life. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario Party 3, Diddy King Racing, Pokemon Stadium, and Super Smash Brothers were the main games that I always played when I was a pre-teen. All I can say is that it was excessive entertainment. XD
Posted Image
Posted Image

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

Well, it would seem there's quite a bit of interest in here! Good! :D Glad to spark some very solid responses.

Play station 1 was nice. Those old Crash Bandicoot games were good, until they changed the compony =/

I actually loved the first few Spyro games. They were just so well designed, and the puzzles were challenging. Well, I was 8, but, whatever!

I had a tough time choosing between NES or N64. But I went with the N64. The NES was great and started it all, but the N64 made huge improvements to the older games as well making awesome newer games. Games like SM64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, the LoZ games, etc. will never cease to amaze me, despite how old they are. Oh, and Kirby 64 has got to be the best kirby ever game made.

Kirby 64 was amazing because you could combine the two different abilities into one really cool one. Not to mention, it was just so much fun back then with all those different forms and stuff. <3 mmmmMMMmmMm. I miss that game. I'd love to get my hands on one!

...does every not-current gen console count as legacy?

If so, I choose PS2 for it's huge library of quality games, and how it can play PS1 games, which doubles (triples, less, I really have no idea, to be honest) its library.

If not, SNES because it has fun games.

I suppose so. I didn't say we couldn't discuss other companies, but there wasn't enough room to list them all. :( lol

I agree. The PS2 was also a really solid console. It didn't revolutionize anything big, but it certainly took gaming to a whole new level in terms of quality games. I'd love to buy a new, super-small PS2, and buy a whole ton of games. Also, I played Okami on the Wii and on PS2, and you were right; much better on the PS2.

...Okami was beautiful; one of my favourite games, and my absolute favourite in terms of art direction.

Razor Bern
Razor Bern

Pirate

• Ike
  • 9,443 Posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

My Super Mario 64 game save is in the same spot. I never saved after seeing Yoshi on the roof either.

My choice is the SNES since it was the first console I had from the beginning of its life cycle to the end. I have very fond memories of games like ALTTP and the Final Fantasy series. It had a great variety of games on it.

ShulkSignature.jpg

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

My Super Mario 64 game save is in the same spot. I never saved after seeing Yoshi on the roof either.

My choice is the SNES since it was the first console I had from the beginning of its life cycle to the end. I have very fond memories of games like ALTTP and the Final Fantasy series. It had a great variety of games on it.

Wow, lucky you.

I loved ALTTP.

I would guess you have that Super Mario World too! :o Another of my favourite games. :)

Razor Bern
Razor Bern

Pirate

• Ike
  • 9,443 Posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

Yes I have it and SMW 2. I played the crap out of the first one trying to get all the exits.

ShulkSignature.jpg

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

Yes I have it and SMW 2. I played the crap out of the first one trying to get all the exits.

I was never fortunate enough to play Super Mario World 2.

I did get the GBA version of SMW, and I do have to say, it was one of my favourites as well. I did prefer playing it on the SNES, though.

What other games do you have? Chrono Trigger? :O That's a rare one, albeit a great one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users