Photo

Mario on other devices?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

http://www.bloomberg...-3ds-slump.html

^ source article for topic discussion

So the title is about Mario so why not on the Mario board? Well this really has to do more with Nintendos first party games in general. The article referenced above states that people are shunning Nintendo devices due to the lack of first party games being on other devices. Does this make sense to you guys?

I personally see this as a two-fold issue.

1) If you want to play a Nintendo game you buy a Nintendo device. The games are only made for Nintendo so that you get the benefit of always having fresh first party games since they are developing for only one system.

Downside: Well more and more people are playing games on phones and as life gets busy they have less time to spend on console games. The gaming generations are growing up and life gets in the way. But is that really an issue for die hard fans? Hardly!

2) Nintendo does decide to finally develop for other devices.

Downside: There is less reason now to buy Nintendo devices and profit from games alone would not be enough to sustain such a large company. This could also take away resources other wise used for developing new games for Nintendo devices.

I really don't see the second one as an issue if don't correctly. We have people that make homebrew Mario games. We see these in flash form all the time and they are free. People love them and you can even make homebrew apps for smart forms that simulate the game play from Nintendo games. Of course here we have copywrite issues.

Now if Nintendo did decide to provide some first party games for smart phones and other devices, would it really be an evil? I think not! They would make more money and they could be limited and selective of what they release outside of Nintendo consoles. Also from a marketing stand point, if the game is addictive enough people would want more and it could in turn draw them to Nintendo as a company and entice them to buy a Nintendo Device.

So my question here is this: Is Satoru Iwata just being a stubborn dick about maintaining first party games for only Nintendo devices?

How do you guys view this?

Inf3rnal
Inf3rnal
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • 51 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think they should keep 1st party games like Mario and Zelda strictly on Nintendo devices.

Those games are the main reason I buy Nintendo consoles. Those and Pokemon.

If they put major releases on say Xbox360, PS3, and Wii such as Skyward Sword, The next Mario. I would buy it for the console I use the most which would be Xbox360.

Though I can see them releasing small games on iPhone or other smartphones such as a Zelda Four Swords type game or even a Mario Party as smaller tastes of the major releases on their Wii U or whatever is released at the time.

They should branch out but not spread the Nintendo mains because then they won't be Nintendo mains then would they?

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

That's what I was trying to get at. I would do the same and buy for the system I use most, but I wouldn't want Nintendo to become a sell out like that. But I do think that small games for smart phones would be a GREAT venue for Nintendo to tap into. It would give people a taste of Nintendo that could draw them into a new system and if not it would still provide profit.

Think about how many people might pay $2.99 for a download flash Mario game. If only 100k downloaded it, that would be nearly $300K profit! I'm sure WAY more then 100K would download it too!

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

I think Nintendo should stick to games for their own systems. Want to play Mario games on the go? Buy a 3DS(when more Mario games are released on it) or a DS/lite/i.
To branch out to phones would cause Nintendo's handheld gaming systems to decline even more, and they can't afford to slash down the 3DS prices anymore.

However, they could put potential demo games on phones. People who play on phones don't deserve full games anyways. So just throw demos at them. If people want to play a full game, buy the console or handheld that it's meant for. Simple as that.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

Demos wouldn't be a bad idea. I think they need more demo's in general anyways. I remember playing the Sonic Colors demo from the wii on my DSi and loved that I got to try the game before buying.

But people aren't going to walk around with a DS system all the time like they do a phone. That's just one more thing to carry. I use to bring my DS everywhere but stopped because I just have to many other things that I have to have with me all the time. But I started playing more phone games and that is always with me.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

My phone can't even play games. Not that I ever use my phone. It's only to call my parents anyways and nobody else is allowed to call on it. So I always bring my DS with me anyways whenever I go somewhere. :v
And in the case of carrying a lot of stuff, just wear pants with lots of pockets, or a jacket with pockets too. Or in the case of girls, a purse would work well.
It's not really a hassle to carry around if you're prepared for it. And it's worth it for being able to play good games on the go.

Edited by Slasher, 11 August 2011 - 09:43 AM.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

LOL I wear skirts as a Minister and they don't have pockets. Summer it's WAY to hot for a jacket and I do carry a purse, but I always have my Bible, and literature for the ministry with me. I had my DS in it, but with all that I do need to carry it just became to much. But yeah I have a smart phone and there are some pretty good games so that's fine with me for carrying.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

It is a tough decision. Of all three major companies, Nintendo is the most secretive and protective of their Intellectual property. That being said, it only makes sense that they would follow this path. Of course, the downfall of this is that is ultimately drives away investors.

Nintendo of all three, make the biggest profits for their first-party games (and are also most well-known for them). If Nintendo opened up a bit more, they could dominate the market further.

I'm actually glad for the drop of Nintendo stock due to the 3DS. Reason being is that maybe Nintendo will wake up a bit and make better business decisions in the future because of it.

I think seeing Mario on other devices would be cool, but I highly doubt it will ever happen. The closest we've ever gotten to something like this was when Nintendo allowed that other company to make those horrible CD-i Legend of Zelda games. And that's probably the reason why they don't let other companies touch their intellectual property (along with some other ones of course).

I don't have a cell phone, or any other mobile device really, so I would be unaffected by this. But while it wouldn't effect me, I would still like to see it happen.

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Well if they let someone else develop it then yeah it would come out crappy, but if they were the ones to do so that would be different. We saw with the wii the lack of third party support. That was in part Nintendos fault for being so secretive at the start and not giving enough time with the technology before release. They didn't do that with the 3DS. From the very start third party support was involved a smart move for Nintendo.

As for investors. Well if Nintendo is doing so great then it would be stupid not to invest. Them being so exclusive with first party should have no bearing on investing if there is a return to be made on the investment. In fact since Nintendo does dominate the market it would only be wise to put more investment into it and this would increase third party support and the systems would just do all that much better!

By that regard, I can understand Satoru Iwata determination in maintaining exclusive property of first party game development. It's just from a Marketing stand point, since I'm a Marketing Director, that I can see even something like a FaceBook paid for flash game to be a good investment on the part of Nintendo. Even if the first party characters were used in something simple just to create something to give a taste of Nintendo and keep it fresh in the public's mind.

NathanSalsa
NathanSalsa

Leever Alone!

• Shy Guy
  • 27 Posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't really think Mario on devices other than Nintendo is necessary. I mean, people buy the Nintendo systems for the newest Mario games, if they where on iOS devices or anything similar, Nintendo wouldn't be making money from it's consoles. Plus the games would be extremely lame in my opinion.
Posted Image

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

This is a really tough situation, but I think Nintendo ought to consider releasing older games on Android.

Nintendo considers Apple their major threat right now, and I think they are right to do so. Releasing anything for an iOS device would be a mistake. They'd be directly supporting a marketplace that is incredibly hostile to them.

Google's Android is not a significantly better situation, but it is better. Android is less controlled and ends up being on hundreds of devices, but all of them are different in some way. In other words, if Nintendo released a game for Android they aren't directly supporting any company that is "out to get them."

Rather, they could create a partnership with a cell phone carrier and offer games exclusively to Android phones using that carrier.

However, under no circumstances do I think a game released after 1990 be released to cell phones at this point. In other words, NES and original Gameboy only. There's no harm in charging a couple dollars for Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda, but I wouldn't give people the option of having Super Mario World of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

There's one major flaw with releasing on Android: everyone with an Android powered phone already can play those games, and most who can and want to already do. They wouldn't make much due to the emulators available for Android-powered phones and tablets.

talkingcat559
talkingcat559
  • Waddle Dee
  • 10 Posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think that Mario should only be on Nintendo counsels because they didn't put them on other counsels in the past so why in the present . :mario:  :mario: