Photo

Mother/Earthbound

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Chikun
Chikun
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • 73 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:37 AM

Mother topic? Mother topic. Posted Image

So, how did you get into the Mother series? What are your favorite games? ...Do you even know what Mother is? Discuss.

I was pretty late when it came to the Mother series. I watched an LP of Earthbound back in 2008, which persuaded me to DL the rom and an snes emulator. By the end of the game I was hooked. After playing through Mother 1, 2 and 3 I decided to take my fandom to another level by purchasing an Earthbound cartridge. I managed to find one in the local Pawn Shop for $3.

After multiple playthroughs I became a nerd for the series. I am one of those odd ones who prefer Mother to Pokemon/Mario/Zelda/ect.

Also, every time you bring up that damn fetus, you make Itoi cry...

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

Oh the sadness of it all, I still have yet to play a game from this series.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

My first game was Mother 3. Actually no, I played the intro of EarthBound before that. You know, when it's still dark. But what I was playing on what a bit too high quality, so the sprites were very jagged and it hurt my eyes when they moved.

I started playing Mother 3 right when the fan translation came out (2009?) so I guess that's how long I've been a fan...ish... I'm only at Twoson in EB and haven't played Mother. ;_;

Posted Image

Sensei Waddle
Sensei Waddle

Back to this

• Magikoopa
  • 2,154 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

My first game was Mother 3. Actually no, I played the intro of EarthBound before that.

Pretty much this. However, I am to Fourside in EarthBound, and have played just about up to Loid in MOTHER.

Needless to say, I absolutely love this series. Almost everything about it is beautiful, and wonderfully executed. I was obsessed with it pretty much late 2009-all of 2010. Come to think of it, I never actually completely finished MOTHER 3 (though I do know the ending), so I plan to start over and finish it some time soon.

Edited by WADDLE-SENSEI-CHAMA DESU~, 17 August 2011 - 09:40 AM.

Posted Image

Tyranogre
Tyranogre

Waifu polygamist

• Rattata
  • 207 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:55 AM

Earthbound Zero is good, but is also very difficult and hasn't aged quite as well as its sequels. I'd say it's only worth playing if you're a die-hard fan of the series.

Regardless, though, it's still one of my favorite games on the NES. It had a huge world, an awesome soundtrack, and a fairly decent plot. Since most people end up playing it after Earthbound, the plot point that involves
Spoiler
becomes even more of a tear-jerker.

Ninten for SSB4!

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

I've tried playing Mother 3 but I can't seem to get a hang of the battle system.

Every battle I face I either barely win with a few HP or or lose. I don't really know how to manage it. Any battle tips?

The story is fairly interesting, I think I'm playing as Flint now and I'm inside that one haunted place with ghosts but I keep losing so I gave up.

Edited by Smashtrekker, 17 August 2011 - 12:28 PM.

Inf3rnal
Inf3rnal
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • 51 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

What got me into the Mother series was actually a Earthbound mmorpg.

http://www.skyon.be/

I found it to be amazing then I found it was based on Earthbound/Mother then I play those. With fan translations of course.

Quite a good series that needs to be released in English.

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

My first game was Mother 3. Actually no, I played the intro of EarthBound before that. You know, when it's still dark. But what I was playing on what a bit too high quality, so the sprites were very jagged and it hurt my eyes when they moved.

I started playing Mother 3 right when the fan translation came out (2009?) so I guess that's how long I've been a fan...ish... I'm only at Twoson in EB and haven't played Mother. ;_;

This person right here, Keatos, somehow convinced me to play Mother 3. It was the only Earthbound game I've ever played (at least so far), and it was the fan translation back in 2010, so I guess a year after the patch was released.

Of course, I didn't acually experience the "true" ending because...

Spoiler

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Mother topic? Mother topic. Posted Image

So, how did you get into the Mother series? What are your favorite games? ...Do you even know what Mother is? Discuss.

I was pretty late when it came to the Mother series. I watched an LP of Earthbound back in 2008, which persuaded me to DL the rom and an snes emulator. By the end of the game I was hooked. After playing through Mother 1, 2 and 3 I decided to take my fandom to another level by purchasing an Earthbound cartridge. I managed to find one in the local Pawn Shop for $3.

After multiple playthroughs I became a nerd for the series. I am one of those odd ones who prefer Mother to Pokemon/Mario/Zelda/ect.

Also, every time you bring up that damn fetus, you make Itoi cry...

That's how it is for me and Golden Sun vs. Final Fantasy.

2rcwyzs.png

Chikun
Chikun
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • 73 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

I've tried playing Mother 3 but I can't seem to get a hang of the battle system.

Every battle I face I either barely win with a few HP or or lose. I don't really know how to manage it. Any battle tips?

The story is fairly interesting, I think I'm playing as Flint now and I'm inside that one haunted place with ghosts but I keep losing so I gave up.

Mother 3 is heavily based on Rhythm Combat. You tap the A button to the rhythm of each song (They are all different) and you pull off combos and do even more damage. You can train on combos in the start menu (After you get the monster log in Chapter 2) and you can hear the beats better if you put an enemy to sleep. They aren't really necessarily needed to beat the game. It just makes it easier. My advice is to use your healing items wisely.

Tyranogre
Tyranogre

Waifu polygamist

• Rattata
  • 207 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

Try this out, Smashtrekker:

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

I've only ever gotten a "perfect combo" one time in the entire time I've spent playing the game. :|

Chikun
Chikun
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • 73 Posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

I've only ever gotten a "perfect combo" one time in the entire time I've spent playing the game. :|

I've played the crap out of Mother 3 and listened to the soundtrack so many times, the combos are easy for me. Some really easy ones that I remember are the Zombeat and Batty Twist.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

I hate when fanboys complain about Mother 3 being the best out of the three. It's obviously the most overrated.

I honestly think that Earthbound was actually better than the third installment, so, it's whatever. :grin_open:

Not hipster enough since EarthBound is the most talked about and loved due to the fact it's in English and was many's first Mother game. I see far more fanart, discussion, and reviews for EarthBound.

EarthBound Zero, on the other hand, is the greatest game.

Posted Image

Darros
Darros

That guy who barely posted then left.

• Rattata
  • 259 Posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

What is Mother? I know next t onothing about it, but I am interested in trying it out.

instagram_36x36_zpsaa853900.pngYouTubeIcon_36x36_zpsac6dff8c.pngtumblr36x36_zpsba548837.png

[7:21:50 PM] Sharpy: trauma center not getting another game would traumatize fans.
[7:21:52 PM] Sharpy: amirite.

Sharpy speaks DA TRUTH

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

I think everyone here already knows that I really really hate this series.

Seriously though oh wow I love Mother 2 and 3. The first is good, too, but EarthBound and Mother 3 are definitely my two favorite games.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

What.

Well you saying M3 was lame because it was popular + your plaid shirt with huge glasses.

It was meant to be.

You, a hipster.

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

I didn't say it was lame because it was popular, I just didn't enjoy it was much as I enjoyed EarthBound.

On a side note; I am not a hipster. :grin_open:

Well you mentioned it's popularity which is the most important thing!

That's what they all say...........................................................................................

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Don't hate me because I'm ugly. :grin_open:

I LOVE YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE HIPSTER

No that was a joke also this is so off topic now.

Mother/EarthBound
is
a
good
game
(s)

Posted Image

Sensei Waddle
Sensei Waddle

Back to this

• Magikoopa
  • 2,154 Posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

It's a shame that the proposed fan-made fourth game is either on haitus or dead.

Honestly, that game looked pretty awful to me. It didn't seem to capture the MOTHER spirit or charm at all, and appeared to kind of take a lot of fundamental ideas from MOTHER 3.

Also on the subject of which game is "better", I honestly think that EarthBound is probably the most solid and substantial of the three; pretty much MOTHER 3's only problem, in my eyes, was that it didn't flow with the series as much as I felt it should have. If MOTHER were a series like Final Fantasy, and the first and second hadn't been based around the same concepts, it would have been alright.

In every other respect, MOTHER 3 is an incredible game, and certainly very memorable for me. If you get past the drastic differences in trademarks or layout, MOTHER 3 and EarthBound are pretty much as good as each other, and I ALMOST kind of like the former better. Almost. But yeah, they're pretty much tied in my mind.
Posted Image