Photo

Official 3DS Demos thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

B9M
B9M

In World 7-4, lost in that damn maze.

• Monty Mole
  • 307 Posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Been trying it out myself and I like it ok so far. Haven't been able to get far into yet though due to rl stuff, but it might be one on my buy list if it works out.

NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Lurking in your dreams

• Pikachu
  • 8,390 Posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Got the demo done earlier and I was debating about pre-ordering the collectors edition at Gamestop or not. But then I realized Best Buy has it for less and I can usually get collectors edtions easily at my local Best Buy (seriously I was there last week and they still had some collectors editions for FFXIII-2 laying around) so I think that is where I will go when it comes out.

PatSig2_zps27e391b0.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

The only reason I still go to GameStop is because of the rewards program. If it's only a few dollars less like $5 or so then I'd much rather get the points.

Anyways, I still haven't had the chance to play the demo. I hope I can get to it tonight and if not then probably next Thursday with how my schedule looks right now.

NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Lurking in your dreams

• Pikachu
  • 8,390 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

it's about 10 dollars in this case when I factor in my states sales tax, which is enough for me to just go with the cheaper option, but yeah I can understand that point of view if I had one I would take that into consideration too, but I just use my sisters and she has other games she is going to pre-order so she will get some points there.

Anyways, 2 new demos got added yesterday. One called Jump Trials Supreme and one for Chibi-Robo Photo Finder. Guess I'll give them both a shot and see how they are.

PatSig2_zps27e391b0.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

I've spent about 45 mins in the demo so far. Right now it feels like a mash up of FF5, FFX-2 and Resonance of Fate. Like bits and pieces were taken from those games. I also don't like the music at all in the town. The steampunk look doesn't go well with the desert and Arabic like music. I think there is a lot of promise with the battle system, but the name if the game sounds stupid now that I know it's actually just the battle system used as the name.

I like it enough to want to finish the demo and get the game eventually, but it's not a preorder game for me or even a game I'd get this year. I'll wait until I can get it for under $20.

NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Lurking in your dreams

• Pikachu
  • 8,390 Posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Yeah I had a feeling playing through it that it might end up being like that for you, hopefully you enjoy the rest of the demo. I myself liked it although I am still not sure if I will get it when it comes out or just wait for it to drop in price a little. Like I said, odds are my local Best Buy will still have some special edition copies for a while after it comes out and even if I don't get that one it won't bother me. The extras would be nice and all, but are not something I would feel I missed by not getting.

Anyways, tried the 2 demos I mentioned had just been added. So I might as well throw in my 2 cents on them.

First Jump Trials Supreme, this was a basic short one. Best way to describe it would be think Mario style platform jumping made into a WarioWare kind of quick mini game. You are given a series of Mario style platform jumps to make to get to a goal and a short time to do it. Not much else to say, controls good though.

Next Chibi-Robo Photo Finder. This one was okay, although using the 3DS camera was a pain in the butt for me since it just sucks unless you have insanely bright lighting it seems. Other than the camera part, it pretty much plays like you would expect a Chibi-Robo game to play. I still recommend giving it a try since I do think the camera idea in the game is cleaver despite being limited by the systems cameras.

PatSig2_zps27e391b0.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

I played the demo of Mario and Luigi Dream Team. It was awful, for me it was awful anyway. The boss lol, I could just not do it. I hated the way Luigi followed Mario and was always whacking him on the head. I know it is user error or incompetence but there are reasons why I don't play Mario games, and this demo had all those reasons in it. Why don't they make another great Mario game like Paper Mario. 

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:56 AM

@Autumn I'm confused by your reasons for not liking Mario games because the Mario and Luigi RPG series is very different from other Mario games. Can you explain some?

hA0AZYy.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

@Autumn I'm confused by your reasons for not liking Mario games because the Mario and Luigi RPG series is very different from other Mario games. Can you explain some?

Luigi and Mario should not have been tied at the hip as it were. It was frustrating for me to get Mario to do what he was supposed to with Luigi right behind him. The little monsters encountered were ok to fight, the boss was not and I presume that boss was not even a hard one. Too much jumping and I do not do so well with jumping, especially jumping with the characters running toward you. I just found it all very frustrating and not fun. I never liked platform games, and this seemed like a 3D platform game in the end. 

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Personally I always loved the Mario & Luigi games. It's a nice change up from typical Mario games released left and right. Though I will say there's plenty of multitasking and coordination involved in game, but that's what I love about it. Having to keep track of both Mario and Luigi, needing a keen eye for timing your attacks as well as dodging enemy attacks. There's not many games out there that push in that direction, so it's rather unique and a game style I'm fond of playing.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I downloaded Steel Diver:Sub Wars. Kinda awesome it was free, of course if you want to continue with more content you pay, I don't think it is too much, 9.99. I am not a fan of war games, flying games, platform games. I love the ocean, would like to see a ship game, with old ships, though I already play a modern pirate game on fb.  Anyway, the sounds are great, and the controls are not bad, you can use the buttons or the stylus, but the stylus would slow you down, and when facing an enemy intent on sinking you, you need to be fast. The graphics are fine, the navigation was easy, you have radar and can ping where stuff is. I just really did the tutorial and messed about a bit, but it was fun and I had no problems with my sub. We shall see how I fare on the first mission. :) 

Posted Image

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

I tried the demo of Alien on the Run, :( hated it. I also tried the new Lego game, I think I like it. Some mindless mashing and bashing is what I need right now. I don't know if I would go so far as to get the game, but I had never played a Lego game before so wanted to see what it was like. 

Posted Image