Photo

Why did people like Sega consoles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I don't know if there are any old Sega fans here, but I'm seriously trying to wrap my mind around why Sega vs Nintendo back in the day was even a thing.

What good games did early Sega consoles have? Obviously there was Sonic and Phantasy Star but even these games were arguably inferior to their Nintendo counterparts (Mario and one of the million amazing RPGs on the SNES).

SOMEONE HELP ME WHY DID PEOPLE LIKE SEGA WHY WAS THIS EVEN A THING

Posted Image

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

This about somes it up.

It's like systems nowadays, better graphics, better sound = better games. But you look at the Sony and Xbox games, and they are all kind of the same thing. It really depends on what you grew up on, that's the system you'd probably like better.

hA0AZYy.png

JMarz
JMarz

Rhyme's Love

• Armos Knight
  • 3,249 Posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Just the graphics and more action oriented games. The sound was not that good.

JessSig_zps4aa17d34.png

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

When I look at the games, they all seem to be Sonic clones. Even if they're well done Sonic clones, they get kinda old after a while. Nintendo had its Mario clones but at least there were a lot of other ones, too.

Posted Image

Shoe
Shoe

I didn't do it

• Bulborb
  • 845 Posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

This is something I watched awhile ago that I figured I would share.
It pretty much covers everything I can think of.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

That's actually pretty interesting and clears up a lot. I guess it's a bit different looking back on the console, seeing the SNES with so many timeless classics with only a handful I can think of for Sega consoles.

So it seems like that Sega had the graphics and big names at first, and then focused on pumping out a lot of pretty good (but not timeless) games. That part was especially interesting, it probably made for some excellent competition. That might be why there are so many good SNES games in part. It would be nice if something like that happened again, but it doesn't really seem like it will.

I really wonder why Sega made so many new consoles and add-ons, though. Was there even that big of a difference in between them?

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

The gamegear is what the Nintendo gameboy color should have been. That system was amazing. It was WAY ahead of it's time. Gamegear was probably just as good as the PSP and that came out years later.

Plus Sega was worth it just for Sonic :3

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

I had a Genesis back in the day that my uncle gave me and used it really only to play Sonic, of which I was terrible at lol. My husband had a Sega Saturn and is constantly raving about the amazing graphics (for the time) of some of the Saturn's best games. Why just the other day we were talking about how Sega should start making consoles again.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Segaguycrazy
Segaguycrazy

Bomb-Omb

• Koopa Troopa
  • 596 Posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Look harder... :happycbig:

Edited by Segaguycrazy, 19 July 2012 - 03:05 PM.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm aware there are a few very good games on Sega consoles, it just seems like there are only in the single digits. :C Especially if you don't include Sonic.

I can name a few classic games on Dreamcast, at least, but not enough that would make me buy the console.

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Well I only had the first system and handheld because I liked Sonic. That was the only games I even owned on them lol

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

^ Me, too. I only had like two Sonic games for my Genesis. The rest I played by renting them. I was horrible at Sonic games back in the day. Still am, actually.

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Sega's really only truly good system was the Genesis, and the Dreamcast was alright. What I would like to see, though, is if they make it back into the console business.

2rcwyzs.png

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Sega's really only truly good system was the Genesis, and the Dreamcast was alright. What I would like to see, though, is if they make it back into the console business.

I would be sad if they did that. If anything SEGA always did a great job on exclusives back then, and I'd be disappointed if I had to buy two systems in order to play the games I like. a Nintendo, a SEGA, and possibly a Sony.

hA0AZYy.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yeah I wouldn't like that at all. Already having to get 2 systems is enough, maybe even getting all 3. To add a fourth would be WAY too much.

JMarz
JMarz

Rhyme's Love

• Armos Knight
  • 3,249 Posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

I am just going to post this here since it kind of works with the topic.

JessSig_zps4aa17d34.png

Segaguycrazy
Segaguycrazy

Bomb-Omb

• Koopa Troopa
  • 596 Posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Of course, both systems have a good Legacy. Although, I do love the Genesis with a passion. The SNES wins as whole.

Edited by Segaguycrazy, 20 August 2012 - 07:24 PM.

Charles Stover
Charles Stover

Club Nintendo aficionado

• Goomba
  • 5 Posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Sonic was not inferior to Mario. I do prefer the Mario titles at the time, but Sonic was a standard competitor. It's like asking how Halo competes with Super Smash Bros. Both great titles, two different audiences; with a huge overlap wherein people can enjoy both.

On top of Sonic, which was hands down the biggest reason -- much like CoD or Madden are system sellers today -- there were a lot of arcade ports, the Mortal Kombat version that had blood, Vectorman, Golden Axe, etc.
Pick up any of the "Genesis greatest hits" and you'll find some great titles.

After Genesis, it's all a blur of regret and misfortunate for pretty much anyone who bought a Saturn/CD, though there were good games on them, nothing revolutionary to gaming. Then again, the Virtual Boy and Satellaview weren't exactly great sequels either.

All the way up until the Dreamcast, and if you're asking what was good about the Dreamcast, you are insane. It was by far the best console of its time to date. Online play, great hardware, innovative technology (VMUs! DLC!), standardized hardware/media formats. It was a god amongst consoles.

Unfortunately, it used no DRM, and that killed it, as anyone with any basic CD burner could play any game for free. It was literally too good to survive.

Oh, Dreamcast, how I miss ye.

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Dunno if anyone's stated this as a reason yet, but:

Posted Image

majorasmask.jpg

Platinum Chaos
Platinum Chaos

Deku Merchant

• Bob-omb
  • 99 Posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sega had loads of great games, even before the Mega Drive (Genesis) days, I remember my first ever console being a Gameboy with Super Mario Land, but my first proper none portable machine was a Sega Master System and I had Alex Kidd in Miricle World for the system, that truely was a fantastic game, It still plays brilliantly to this day, plus there were other games like Space Harrier, Wonder Boy and a few others I enjoyed playing on the Master System.

I even had a Sega CD with my Mega Drive. :v
But yeah the Mega Drive had a ton of amazing games for it, such as Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Return of Shredder (Which had two graphical styles you could choose from on the Mega Drive, Anime & Comic) and there was the Rocket Night Adventures and and Tiny Toons I remember playing that on the Mega Drive too, yeah there were loads of Mega Drive games I played back in the day on my Mega Drive, but yeah I had a Mega Drive long before I got a SNES, but when I got my first SNES I fell in love with it, that thing had some amazing games, I remember playing Super Mario Kart for the first time, but back in the 90's I was a huge Sega Fan. :D

Obviously I don't really need to mention the Sonic games since we've all probably played them, but they also had some great 8 bit Sonic titles for the Master System, a good one was Sonic Chaos.

Over here in the UK the Master System was VERY popular, they kept selling games for the console long after the Mega Drive (Genesis) had come out, infact I think both the Mega Drive and Master System were more popular in the UK (And maybe most of Europe) than the NES and SNES was, but I don't know the sales figures for the UK and Europe so I can't be 100% percent sure on that. :v

P.S
TMNT: Return of the Shredder (Called The Hyperstone Heist in the US) was the best TMNT games ever, in my opinion.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST3h7aoK45w[/media]

Edited by Platinum Chaos, 27 December 2012 - 01:16 PM.

YuoBfER.png

e7fi90.png