Photo

Why did people like Sega consoles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

P.S
TMNT: Return of the Shredder (Called The Hyperstone Heist in the US) was the best TMNT games ever, in my opinion.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST3h7aoK45w[/media]

Just a comment, Hyperstone Heist is called Turtles in Time on the SNES, and is essentially the same game. But people seem to say it is even better and superior to the SNES one. Idk why.

hA0AZYy.png

Platinum Chaos
Platinum Chaos

Deku Merchant

• Bob-omb
  • 99 Posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Just a comment, Hyperstone Heist is called Turtles in Time on the SNES, and is essentially the same game. But people seem to say it is even better and superior to the SNES one. Idk why.

Ah right, I had no idea, thanks for the information. =)

It's such a fun game to play, I think I'll go play it again soon. :wii:

I also forgot to mention two other Mega Drive games I love, Super Hang on and Collumns, Super Hang On was a great motorbike game on Mega Drive and Columns was an amazing puzzle game, I still play Collumns all the time, I'm super fast on it too (It speeds up a lot on harder levels), here is review of the game from Classic Game Room on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQX5FLjH61o

Edited by Platinum Chaos, 28 December 2012 - 01:53 AM.

YuoBfER.png

e7fi90.png

Giygas
Giygas

Slasher's #√-1 Fan

• Ness
  • 7,269 Posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't see it written down here in text -and I apologize if it was brought up in any of the video links- but for a pretty significant amount of time (Off the top of my head I think it was 2-3 years) It was the NES competing with the Megadrive.

Cam3ron36@NP
Cam3ron36@NP

Retro Gamer/Reviewer

• Rattata
  • 163 Posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

Genesis got it's start by competing with the NES.  Technologically NES < Genesis < SNES.  However this is the time frame the 3 were released back then.  Genesis had the jump start, as a result, it had lots of customers already.

Not to mention the Genesis Does adds, and all that.

Not to mention the Genesis has lots of good games as well, and people with Genesis' knew that, and bought those games. Graphics weren't everything, and some may argue to this day there is better games on Genesis than there is on SNES.  Depends on what you like really, and that plays a big role.  Both consoles were good.

Going beyond this, Sega screwed up, and ticked off, and confused their consumers with things like the Sega CD, and the 32X, and a planned Neptune (Standalone 32X).

Come the time for the Sega Saturn, the console wasn't even that bad (I have one).  It's on Par with Playstation in my opinion.  The problem was marketing.  Back in the Fifth generation of games, we had all sorts of companies trying to come in on the gaming scene (kind of like in the newest generation).  You had the 3DO, the Jaguar, the CDi, the list goes on.  What happened here was people were going to stick with what they know.  Sega, and Nintendo, never mind Sony right now.  Anyways, the Saturn planned to get a jump start on Nintendo again, and they set a release date.  A release date Sony matched with their Playstation.  Sega, seeing this decided on the unveiling of the Saturn, to announce that the Saturn was on shelves right now, 6 months early.  This was a last minute decision, and pretty much is the biggest mistake they could have ever made.  The people making games for the Saturn were shocked, and not ready, meaning little to no launch titles existed, the stores weren't notified, making it difficult on them, and the people got what was at the time, a sub-par unscheduled product.  This ticked everyone off, and they all went to the other guy, which would have been the Playstation.  This includes Stores, Gamers, and the game creators.  Hence forth is a big reason why the Playstation got a big kickstart.

Dreamcast made an attempt to redeem the company name, and did a farely good job, but too little, too late.  A DVD player might have saved the console, but who knows.

There's a history lesson for ya.  Sorry haha, I've researched a lot into the matter because A. I lived it, and B. it interests me.

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

It's all a matter of perspective, and which games you prefer to play. Judging by the games that you mentioned for Sega consoles, it's easy to see why you would prefer Nintendo games, they are similar to your average NES/SNES game. You also have to think of the Japan factor, and Sega had some JRPG titles that you couldn't get on other platforms, which can make all of the difference if you're a JRPG-head.

For one thing, there are some great games for Sega. On the Dreamcast you have PSO, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, and Zero Wing, which well, isn't really a good game, but play it and watch the opening cutscene. And oh my word, the list for Genesis just goes on and on and on. You've got Ys, Uncharted Waters, Phantasy Star, Shining Force II, Might and Magic, Warsong, there's a STAR TREK game, a castlevania game, a wide array of fighting and mature games that were never released on Nintendo systems, Earthworm Jim, that goofy robotnik two-player game with the blobs similar to tetris, super-freaking-hydlide, sorcerer's kingdom, stop me now.

I personally prefer a PC because they can play all of them, but I guess when it comes to collecting I have a larger and more valuable NES collection than a genesis collection, I grew up with an NES so that would be assumed, had I grown up with a genesis that might be different. I might be a completely different person, definitely would be actually. Playing Mortal Kombat and Earthworm Jim instead of Dragon Warrior and Metalstorm would have turned me into a completely different person.