Photo

The Quotes Feature - Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: The Quotes Feature - Short Poll

Should the Quotes Feature be kept?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should the quotes be limited to gaming?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should the current quotes be purged?

Vote Guests cannot vote

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

So I noticed some complaints about the quotes feature, and plan to overhaul it, but since I might have a different idea than the rest of the community and don't have especially strong opinions about it, I decided to start this up instead and get some input. Feel free to just vote and leave, but posting will help me understand where you're coming from more and possibly persuade me to your side. Note that no matter what, political quotes, religious quotes, or quotes in any other way relating to ones lifestyle will not be allowed. It's meant to be a fun thing, not meant to spark offense in any way. There's no need to use it as a way to shove your views down someone else's throat.

Just to recap the poll, here are the questions:

Should the quotes feature be kept?

Should the quotes be limited to gaming?

Should the current quotes be purged?

As for that last one, if quotes are chosen to be limited to gaming, there will be a purge, although I admit that I'm currently leaning to allowing quotes to not be related to gaming, so I'm going to need some convincing on that front. As for why I'm asking, it's because there are currently a ton of quotes, and it could definitely use some cleaning, especially since some of the quotes were entered incorrectly.

Finally, as a side thing, please report all incorrectly quoted quotes or all that go against the no political, religious, or lifestyle quotes rule. Be as specific as possible, and copy the text of the exact quote if you can. No one wants to sift through 250+ quotes to find one to fix or delete.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

I like the Quotes Feature, there are some real funny ones in there (and I'm not just talking about the ones I posted), plus overall they usually send a positive message and make me feel better if I was having a bad day.

2rcwyzs.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Should it be kept: No. While it was neat at first, now it kind of looks awkward and strange just to have these random quotes up in the upper-right corner of the forum.

Should the quotes be limited to gaming: This is assuming that the quotes will be kept. No, we should be able to have quotes about anything I suppose. Nintendo was never limited to gaming - take love hotels and card games as an example.

Should the current quotes be purged: Yes. They have become tiresome and annoying.

Sunkissii
Sunkissii
  • Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Should it be kept: No. While it was neat at first, now it kind of looks awkward and strange just to have these random quotes up in the upper-right corner of the forum.

Should the quotes be limited to gaming: This is assuming that the quotes will be kept. No, we should be able to have quotes about anything I suppose. Nintendo was never limited to gaming - take love hotels and card games as an example.

Should the current quotes be purged: Yes. They have become tiresome and annoying.

Not that it looks awkward on the upper right corner. It's just seeing the same quotes over and over. As I agree of how it looks neat but after, it' just tiring and killing all the sayings from games, etc. Like for example: "I wanna be the very best." It was interesting at first but now, seeing it so much and now as I said, it's just killing it.

I always see how quotes are just quotes no matter if it's from gaming, or whatever. You seem them everywhere. So why limited just to games, when you see more than just that around.

I miss the calender more. It was quite useful than this quoting system. And to me, I never get tired of knowing what's happening.

Edited by Sunni, 20 September 2012 - 06:14 PM.

wU2Pke4.gifD2qlmWT.gif Always happy~

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that I can't do anything about the calendar. I'm pretty sure that I don't have directory access, which I would need to add calendars or other applications.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Not that it looks awkward on the upper right corner. It's just seeing the same quotes over and over.

2rcwyzs.png

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,936 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'm just curious, but what else could we shove up there should quotes be removed?

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

I'm just curious, but what else could we shove up there should quotes be removed?

Psychoduck's twitter

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Psychoduck's twitter

:stare:

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

Tai
Tai
  • lke
  • 9,365 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

:stare:

:3

Posted Image

I AM AND I ARE ALL WE

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I like the quotes system. I was planning to add Pegasus quotes some time in the future....

Maybe a few new quotes could be added every week to keep things interesting?

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

I like the system. I'd prefer if we stuck to gaming, which is what I voted for but I couldn't really care either way. Honestly I find that right now it's WAY to full with quotes from TV shows and movies that I don't know anything about so honestly I stopped reading them a long time ago.

I like the quotes from games and quotes of things users on the forum posted. I doubt I'll read the quotes or add to the system if it's open to all quotes since I wouldn't bother reading them if I can't relate to them. So I don't really care what happens with the system at this point.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

I don't really care much about quotes one way or the other. But there's always really no need to get rid of it as it really doesn't do any harm.

And I feel quotes should be limited to gaming OR anything regarding NP. And gaming isn't only limited to things in game. It can also include things that talk about games or are related in some way. I just think limiting it some would better help prevent people from making religious/political/lifestyle quotes, as those can be tempting at times. Plus seeing things like "Oink oink - I'm a pig" or something would be weird.

And the quotes do need a good cleaning out.

Though I also like ZSoF's idea he had in his status of having staff manage it. Members can suggest quotes, and whatever staff member is in charge of quotes can approve or disapprove of them.
Or at the very least, we have the quotes purged like every 2-3 months to keep it from piling up.

Edited by Slasher, 20 September 2012 - 10:31 PM.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'd be perfectly fine with the quote feature being removed. Half the stuff is anonymous sentences that seem like either some kind of inside joke, or just random quotes from obscure youtube videos. At first, it was cool to see the quotes up there because a few were really awesome, but now it's not funny or entertaining. Even if you wiped all the ones we have now to start anew, I feel it would just go down the same path again.

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

I don't think it's hurting anything, but if you do take it down something else needs to be put up. Maybe like a daily game challenge thing that people can take. That'd be lovely as I like gaming challenges.

hA0AZYy.png

apathy
apathy
  • Adept
  • 3,825 Posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

i think it needs to stay and should contain rose-exclusive quotes.

:: [Soundcloud] :: [Mixcloud] ::
deep/tech house

PsychoDuck
PsychoDuck

A duck what acts crazy-like

• Pikachu
  • 8,536 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

i think it needs to stay and should contain rose-exclusive quotes.

I move to nullify this vote

Oi00g.png

(2009-2013)

TwitterYoutube

The Duck Has Spoken.

apathy
apathy
  • Adept
  • 3,825 Posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

I move to nullify this vote

Posted Image