Photo

Feedback on Recent Changes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

So since we're going to be doing a few things to the site now on a regular basis, especially some minor things, I thought that we should have a thread where you guys can point out any specific changes that you're not fond of. Post about anything new that you dislike here, and we'll take it into consideration.

As a recommendation, "like" posts that you agree with so that we can get a better idea of how many people have a certain opinion without clogging up the thread with "I agree" ad nauseam.

apathy
apathy
  • Adept
  • 3,825 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

i was initially fond of the "users online today" box but after having it there for a while i think it makes the forum look unnecessarily convoluted. even collapsed it just seems kind of out of place.

more importantly i'm unsatisfied with digital changing his username to nathan. obama fix this.

Edited by Switch-Renn, 14 November 2012 - 06:49 PM.

:: [Soundcloud] :: [Mixcloud] ::
deep/tech house

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Oh I'm being tested on how good of a job I'm doing~

I don't really see what the big problem about the "Members Online Today". When it's collapsed, it only takes up one line, and it's at the very bottom of forum page which you don't really go to unless you want to see who is currently online.

more importantly i'm unsatisfied with digital changing his username to nathan. obama fix this.

Name change 0/10 won't rate again.

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

Former Administrator, '09.

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think bitching about the online users thing is pretty small (seriously, no offense at all Switchy!) when compared to the fact we don't have a skin yet.

PS: I'm almost done changing the default images for you, Mage. Just so it doesn't look so... lazy. Not that you're lazy. I just hate seeing forums using a default skin... egh.

JMarz
JMarz

Rhyme's Love

• Armos Knight
  • 3,249 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I see no problems what so ever

JessSig_zps4aa17d34.png

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hush your childish complaints Mr. Rennex.

Though I agree, I don't see why we need it (members who have been online today) and I thought it made the footer rather cluttered. Especially if we plan on adding promos down there like we had in the past. It's collapsable, yeah, but even then it adds an extra line and for what? I just don't see the need for it. Less is more.

It also shows how small of a forum we are. v:

Other than that, though!

Posted Image

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

Former Administrator, '09.

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hush your childish complaints Mr. Rennex.

Though I agree, I don't see why we need it (members who have been online today) and I thought it made the footer rather cluttered. Especially if we plan on adding promos down there like we had in the past. It's collapsable, yeah, but even then it adds an extra line and for what? I just don't see the need for it. Less is more.

It also shows how small of a forum we are. v:

Other than that, though!

Personally I like seeing who was online today, though. NP is a slower forum, so it does matter to some degree that there's a way to at least view it.

Perhaps in a menu when we get an integrated website skin and forum skin?

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, it's just my opinion. C:

If people like it then whatevs. Maybe I can pretty it up a bit.

Posted Image

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Honestly, I don't care either way. And why would it matter how small our forum is? We generally have big posters log in everyday.

2rcwyzs.png

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Honestly, I don't care either way. And why would it matter how small our forum is? We generally have big posters log in everyday.

It was kind of a joke. Hence why it's crossed out.

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I prefer having the online today. It helps users to see who has been active that day. I like knowing who's been on since I might have had something to ask them or PM them and forgot because we aren't on at the same time, but seeing their name and that they were on reminds me.

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

I do love having the colors of the usernames (ranks) show up pretty much everywhere now! It's a lot of fun.
Also, I do hear a lot of talk about skins. Are those hard to make? Because it would be neat to have a few to choose from (like different color schemes/themes).

:)

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I do love having the colors of the usernames (ranks) show up pretty much everywhere now! It's a lot of fun.
Also, I do hear a lot of talk about skins. Are those hard to make? Because it would be neat to have a few to choose from (like different color schemes/themes).

They can be, but a few graphically inclined users are working on some now. I haven't started mine yet because work kind of got busy, but I plan to start working on a new skin soon.

I'm open to suggestions, but ill more then likely do a Zelda themed skin lol

Edited by Tali'Zorah, 14 November 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Honestly, if we're doing skins, I would really like to see a less-popular Nintendo franchise skin, such as Fire Emblem, Pikmin, or Golden Sun - hell, where's Grooms? Weren't we going to use his Golden Sun theme a while ago?

2rcwyzs.png

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Honestly, if we're doing skins, I would really like to see a less-popular Nintendo franchise skin, such as Fire Emblem, Pikmin, or Golden Sun - hell, where's Grooms? Weren't we going to use his Golden Sun theme a while ago?

His theme was for an older version. He would have to recreate it for the current software. Plus make all the graphics for each thing needed.

Edited by Tali'Zorah, 14 November 2012 - 11:10 PM.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

I was thinking of zipping up and uploading the base skin components so that everyone has access to the "default" skin. That way, members can create their own skins and then send to me, which I will upload so that everyone can use the skin.

It would be a great way to get the community involved and I have no idea at all why this idea was never suggested or put into action in the past.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

I was thinking of zipping up and uploading the base skin components so that everyone has access to the "default" skin. That way, members can create their own skins and then send to me, which I will upload so that everyone can use the skin.

It would be a great way to get the community involved and I have no idea at all why this idea was never suggested or put into action in the past.

Do it mage! I'd love to work on a skin for the place!

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Do it mage! I'd love to work on a skin for the place!

You could barely even find your way around the SQ skin stuff. This won't be too different. :v

Also, before users actually put in a lot of hard effort into "coding" a skin, people should make mock-ups first using image editing software. So that we can at least get a general idea of if the skin they create will actually be good enough to be useable or not.
Otherwise we might end up with a bunch of ugly skins that nobody wants to use other than the person who made them, who will later realize how ugly their creation is. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,458 Posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

You could barely even find your way around the SQ skin stuff. This won't be too different. :v

Also, before users actually put in a lot of hard effort into "coding" a skin, people should make mock-ups first using image editing software. So that we can at least get a general idea of if the skin they create will actually be good enough to be useable or not.
Otherwise we might end up with a bunch of ugly skins that nobody wants to use other than the person who made them, who will later realize how ugly their creation is. :v

I've worked with IP.Board before, I know my way around it. That's why I tried so hard with SQ, because I had done it before, but SQ ran on different software so it wouldn't be the same.

I think if we were to do that Mage, voting for the proposed skins in would be a good idea.

hA0AZYy.png

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

Just to comment on this:

It depends, really. If you want a skin like the ones Kyle made a while back, yeah, those take a lot of work. There's a lot that needs to be done graphically to make everything look right. It would be simple-ish to just do a simple color scheme thing, but I'm not sure that would look nice on a forum. I might take a crack at it, but I dunno. There's also the issue of it being Nintendo-themed in some way.

Also, as long as the option to touch up and fix up a skin is there (I do like the very high standard that we have in a graphical-design sense), I think that it would be a great idea to let members take a crack at making their own skins, although I do think that we should be a bit picky.