28 replies to this topic

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Okay first of all I'm not exactly sure where to put this thread. It's sort of a big announcement to be doing something like this, but it also has to do with art. Just as well, the art thread is more or less art that the thread's creator has made so I dunno. Then there's the general discussion which this may fit into as well. In the end I decided with the Art & Multimedia board, but if another Mod or Admin wants this thread in a different board, feel free to move it.

With that out of the way, below is a link to download all of the necessary files to create your own customized skin for the Nintendo Pipeline. It's pretty straight-forward - simply edit the files that already exist. Of course, it may be more easier if you're the artsy type and are already proficient in graphic art.

One more thing, the winner of the contest will have their skin on the Nintendo Pipeline, as well as receive a NEW BADGE! If there are two skins that are just so good that we can't pass up, then I suppose just maybe both skins will "win" the right to be displayed on the NP as well as both creators getting badges.

The entire staff will take careful consideration in to which submitted skin we believe is worthy of winning the prize.

The deadline for this contest is midnight on December 31, 2012 - the same time when the Golden Pipe Awards are announced.

If at any time you want me to preview the skin you are currently making, zip up your files and send me a download link to them. I will then temporarily upload them to the site and take some screenshots. I'll then send the screenshots to you so that you can see exactly what the site currently would look like.

Click this link to download the skin files.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

May I point out a few things?
1) A forum skin has tons of files to go through. Skins are not a simple "do it within a month" task. So that would be a difficult deadline.
2) The files given don't even give us a template to go off of, let alone any CSS files to even edit.
3) Coding a skin is not really doable without a way to see our progress and it would be very time consuming on both ours and your part to have you constantly upload a skin for us to see our progress.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

1) It's more like a month-and-a-half, but we would probably extend it if people need more time.
2) Don't look at me, I'm not the skinning expert, that would be Digital. :'D
3) Yes this one of the more difficult parts, though it seems WY is managing pretty well at least,

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Well making images to replace images on a default skin is wicked easy and can all be done in a single day. However, creating a skin from scratch is not simple at all. And as Slasher pointed out, it's going to take more then that time. If you want users to just enter a mock up version that isn't coded but simply just shows the design, then this date is completely do able.

So what are you looking for, a completed skin that you can just take the winners and put it up right away or just a design idea for the skin that will be worked on should someone win.

I would hope it's the latter because if someone was to put a crap load of time making every single graphic for the skin and code it but then doesn't win that would be a lot of wasted effort and I don't have that kind of time to waste when I get paid professionally to create and design websites. I'd be more then happy to do a graphic mock up for a contest though and should the design win, I'd be happy to work on the graphics for each part of the skin.

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Slasher and Tali are right; coding an entire skin will take too much effort if it doesn't get picked.

Submitting a mockup design seems to be the way to go, as long as the winner and/or others are willing to code the skin after it's been picked.

But on a positive note, I love that you're making this into a contest, Mage. We definitely need a unique skin, and having a user-designed one will continue to give our forum a stronger sense of community. Props <3

majorasmask.jpg

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I would so love to participate, but there is one small tiny minor detail: I don't know how to do coding and stuff like that. :[
Sorry. If I could draw it, then that'd be great. But good luck to those who participate!!

:)

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

I think people should be able to create a mock-up if they don't know coding very well. And for every other reason said.

Also do we have any screenshots of the Zelda skin we had that Kyle made? That was such a good skin. I don't think anyone could recreate it, but it might be a good reference.

(Also I think this would work best in Announcements)

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I think GBWYoshi has all the files for that skin.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think GBWYoshi has all the files for that skin.

Really, files? You must mean the "view source" code if anything. But that's still pretty good to have. Gbwyoshi, if you're there, you should send that to the admins.

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

He said he's still able to use that skin. I have no clue how, but that's what he's said.

Toadeh
Toadeh

Toadicus Finch

• Kremling
  • 1,029 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Also do we have any screenshots of the Zelda skin we had that Kyle made? That was such a good skin. I don't think anyone could recreate it, but it might be a good reference.

that skin was perf

I'm on winter break from December 11th to February 3rd, so I guess I'll have a little free time to come up with something (maybe).

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

that skin was perf

I'm on winter break from December 11th to February 3rd, so I guess I'll have a little free time to come up with something (maybe).

You should do this again:
http://i48.tinypic.com/ifx75s.png

majorasmask.jpg

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

You know that it's completely possible to use a different icon for each board. I think it would be fun to have a contest for the board icons. That's a bit more simple. It would take less time too lol.

Toadeh
Toadeh

Toadicus Finch

• Kremling
  • 1,029 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

You should do this again:
http://i48.tinypic.com/ifx75s.png

Wind Waker is one of my favorite games, so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it on the site. If I do try to make a skin, it'll probably be Wind Waker themed (but better than that one).

WingedYoshi
WingedYoshi

Former Administrator, '09.

• Moblin
  • 2,629 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Wish I had the spare time or energy to do this. I was going to do this earlier but work is hectic when you're in training, so I've been just drained every damn day.

Can't wait to see everyone's mockups though!

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Oh yeah, Mage, you should clarify this contest because I get the feeling that some people are holding back on making a mockup because they're not sure if it will be counted or not.

Posted Image

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Oh yeah, Mage, you should clarify this contest because I get the feeling that some people are holding back on making a mockup because they're not sure if it will be counted or not.

That's me, I'm not doing anything until its clear.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

As for a "mock-up", this is more or less an art contest - the biggest thing you would have to do art-wise is create the background image for the skin. There's other smaller images that will need to be created as well, such as the background images for buttons, the header at the top of the forum, the board icons, and so on.

What I will do is that I will sift through all of the files and remove all of the ones that are pretty much useless to modify (for example, that "accept.png" being one the hundreds of "useless" images. Once I finish, there should be much, much less images to work with.

Furthermore, I will also include a readme explaining which each image is used for

As for doing a mock-up, hang on for just a bit longer - I'll make my decision on that after I get the new .zip file uploaded after going through all the images (which shouldn't take too long, I'll probably have it up after an hour or so).

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

In my opinion, I think a good idea would be people make a mock-up, but keep the individual icon files backed up separately. That way everything is all ready to go, but they don't have to mess around with coding at all.

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

There's really no coding at all involved (unless you want to make a skin that has a completely different layout with buttons, links, boxes, and other things in different places). I completed deleting all of the useless files, and now there's only around 26 that someone would need to edit. Even then, you don't have to edit all of them to make a new skin as some images I left in such as the notifications and PM buttons - they would look fine but I'm leaving them in because they are often used.

So basically what will happen is that after a person is finished editing the images, they would zip up their work and I would then copy/paste their new art assets into a backup of the default skin. Once that is done, I'd rename the skin to an appropriate name (or the name that the creator would want to give it) and it would be complete. That's pretty much what I did with the Skyward Sword skin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users