Photo

N64 vs PS1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well let's tear apart the designs too! The n64 had colors and a really cool looking controller. The ps1 had only two colors and two different types of consoles. The controllers were perfectly designed to fit in your hand and allow you to move both control sticks and all the buttons at the same time.

hA0AZYy.png

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

My SNES and N64 still work in great condition. Even though the N64 has had milk spill all over it and other crap. It still works with no issues.

You're lucky then, I don't think anything spilled in mine yet the SNES doesn't even turn on. :C I mean well, it turns ON but it won't play anything, even the most gently used of all the games. N64's getting harder and harder to play too, especially older games like Super Mario 64.

Wow now your disagreeing about the format. Seems like bickering just for the sake of it. Can't you guys just see that both systems were great since it all comes down to what type do games you enjoy. If you're a platform gamer then the N64 is better, if you're an RPG gamers, then the PS1 is better. It's not about the system anyways, it's about the games.

I don't think people are bickering anymore, just talking.

Well let's tear apart the designs too! The n64 had colors and a really cool looking controller. The ps1 had only two colors and two different types of consoles. The controllers were perfectly designed to fit in your hand and allow you to move both control sticks and all the buttons at the same time.

Hmm I really hate the PS1 controller, actually. It feels so stiff. While the N64 controller was weird, it seemed to fit my hand better. I also like how the N64 has a control stick, and even it's D-pad seems to work better than the PS1's. They always seemed kinda stiff to me.

Posted Image

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

At the time, I loved the Nintendo 64 controller and was indifferent towards the PSone controller. Today, I don't really like either. Honestly, I'd just assume play everything with an XBOX 360 controller; I love that thing, and I'm glad Nintendo copied it for the WiiU.

One thing I do really like about the Nintendo 64 controller is the trigger placement. No other controller has a trigger that feels so right. I love the Z button. :)

You're lucky then, I don't think anything spilled in mine yet the SNES doesn't even turn on. :C I mean well, it turns ON but it won't play anything, even the most gently used of all the games. N64's getting harder and harder to play too, especially older games like Super Mario 64.

I haven't hooked up my old consoles in the while, but I'm planning to set up a little TV on my desk just for that purpose soon (maybe I'll do that tonight actually :P). Last time I checked, all of my consoles were in working order. Unfortunately, games are aging and the save files aren't as reliable as they once were. :/

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm going with N64. I love it, I grew up with it, and to me, it just blasts the PS1 out of the frying pan like a shotgun does to a face. Granted, it may be a bit biased, seeing as how I've never played a PS1, but hey.....I'm just trying to get out of my lame Bidoof-ness here lol

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

SlasherBar2.pngBijulLT.png

Axzevos
Axzevos

Wall of steel

• Bob-omb
  • 80 Posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

The 64 is best. Ofc its my opinion. I love Nintendo
Ps 1 got some good games, like crash bandocoot

Hero-of-the-Dark
Hero-of-the-Dark

Pony Riffer

• Armos Knight
  • 3,410 Posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'd have to go with N64, because of the extremely iconic game it had. Mario 64, the Mario Parties, OoT, Majora, Banjo-Kazzoie, Pokemon Stadium, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Conker, Paper Mario, F-Zero, Smash Bros., Turok, Golden Eye, etc.. The only things I can think of that came out on the PS1 that seemed good where Final Fantasy games, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Spyro and Crash.

Not to mention how many of those fanciness failed, Crash went down, Spyro turned into Skylanders, Resident Evil has almost killed itself off, Silent Hill has gone down hill, Final Fantasy is really getting bad (it died in my mind with X and X2), only Metal Gear really seems worth it. Not to mention most of the PS1 games have some of the worst controls I've ever played with, while a good portion of N64 games have smooth controls, especially the Zelda games.
Posted Image
Posted Image
By the Sensei Waddle

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Not to mention how many of those fanciness failed, Crash went down, Spyro turned into Skylanders, Resident Evil has almost killed itself off, Silent Hill has gone down hill, Final Fantasy is really getting bad (it died in my mind with X and X2), only Metal Gear really seems worth it.

I see what you did there.
Still missing the pun of Crash crashing and Spyro spiraling to it's doom. But the Silent Hill pun was very nice. And Resident Evil has a hint of it somewhere in there.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Platinum Chaos
Platinum Chaos

Deku Merchant

• Bob-omb
  • 99 Posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I already said I love both consoles, but I wanted to input my opinion on the consoles controllers, I'd totally choose the Ps1 analog controller over the N64, I still love the N64 controller, but the Ps1 just had a better controller and to this day It's a perfect controller to use, the N64 controllers analog can get too wobbly over time and with mine, even after cleaning it out is still unresponsive and needed replacing.

I've just recently replaced the analog in my N64 controller with a new one, but my Ps1 controller still works flawlessly to this very day.

But yeah, I still love the N64 controller. <3

Edited by Platinum Chaos, 14 December 2012 - 08:55 AM.

YuoBfER.png

e7fi90.png

Sharky
Sharky

The Coolest Dude This Side of Coolsville

• Shy Guy
  • 30 Posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I mean, come on guys. Both consoles are great, but it is hard to argue with the console that has several of the games that are considered some of the best ever made.

The Nintendo 64.
Posted Image

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I mean, come on guys. Both consoles are great, but it is hard to argue with the console that has several of the games that are considered some of the best ever made.

The Nintendo 64.

Final Fantasy 7. Metal Gear Solid. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Vagrant Story (which personally I hate).

The Playstation has it's fair share of "greatest games ever made."

FoxPhantom28
FoxPhantom28

Jaded artist

• Magikoopa
  • 2,048 Posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

The Ps1's disk holds more info and is cheaper to make then N64's cartridge, but on the other hand, the N64 cartridge are durable.

I for one am a bit of both of a Playstation and Nintendo fan. I like the Psone because of the Final Fantasy games, Sadly, the N64 isn't capable on playing games advanced as the Ps1 games. (The DD disk system was a good idea, but I find it sad how Nintendo passed up the idea when it wasn't selling enough.)

The N64 games are pretty simple, but the one thing I have always found was how lower end most of the stuff were, sure the N64 is the game system that helped brought games like 007 Golden Eye, Pokemon Stadium, and most of all Super Mario 64, I think it was nintendo's best system that gave them a good leap in to 3D.

Sony's Ps1 was a amazing break because of how advanced the games are, I liked how well they worked, and to how the game pad has a good grip, yet I sometimes felt like the game system was more cheap because it was the Ps1 not the Psx. The games like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Megaman Legends was there good games to me.

I think the Ps1 was my all time favorite, sure the N64 is good, but I like the Ps1 because of how it could play games the N64 couldn't.

0- the fool

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

The Ps1's disk holds more info and is cheaper to make then N64's cartridge, but on the other hand, the N64 cartridge are durable.

I for one am a bit of both of a Playstation and Nintendo fan. I like the Psone because of the Final Fantasy games, Sadly, the N64 isn't capable on playing games advanced as the Ps1 games. (The DD disk system was a good idea, but I find it sad how Nintendo passed up the idea when it wasn't selling enough.)

The N64 games are pretty simple, but the one thing I have always found was how lower end most of the stuff were, sure the N64 is the game system that helped brought games like 007 Golden Eye, Pokemon Stadium, and most of all Super Mario 64, I think it was nintendo's best system that gave them a good leap in to 3D.

Sony's Ps1 was a amazing break because of how advanced the games are, I liked how well they worked, and to how the game pad has a good grip, yet I sometimes felt like the game system was more cheap because it was the Ps1 not the Psx. The games like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Megaman Legends was there good games to me.

I think the Ps1 was my all time favorite, sure the N64 is good, but I like the Ps1 because of how it could play games the N64 couldn't.

I loved the cartridges of the N64 though. And back then, discs weren't exactly caapable of holding tons of information either. After all, that's why a bunch of their games had to come in multiple discs which in the long run probably cost more than it did for Nintendo to make a single cartridge.

The N64 was never "lower end". As that implies that the games pretty sucked, which they didn't. The graphics were smoother and always looked better than the PS1. And the N64 could handle pretty much anything the PS1 could.

Also, Megaman Legends was on the N64 also (under the name of Megaman 64). Though I can admit that there were a few issues with the N64 version that made the PS1 version better. Such as the choppy voices. People claim there are more issues, but being someone that has played through both fully, the voice audio is the only thing I've ever noticed. Plus the load times I believe were faster on the N64 version than the PS1, iirc.

And that last bit, the same could be said vise versa. The N64 had games to play that the PS1 didn't.
Besides, the N64's library of games were all pretty much memorable and always talked about positively. Such as how awesome the LoZ games and Mario games were. Whereas all I ever hear about the PS1 is how atrocious Final Fantasy VII's dialogue and character personalities were. And that's like the only game I ever hear about from it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

I saw old advertisements showing how expensive N64 games used to be. Ocarina of Time was $60, and that wasn't even the most expensive of the games. D: It seems like the suggested price of Super Mario 64 was $70, but it was cheaper in big stores.

I do like many N64 games, but I don't think I would pay over $50 for them at launch.

Also, Slasher, the negative things you hear about FFVII are largely a backlash. FFVII was, and still is considered by many, the definitive "best game of all time." I've been seeing similar backlash towards Ocarina of Time, though not to the extent because FFVII had greater appeal than OoT, I think.

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Games in general were expensive. Even the NES was. But regardless of that, they still managed to sell. And at they time, they were considered a big thing, like the best stuff you could get. Games now are still selling at that price range and maybe in the future when things are even more advanced, people would be wondering why we'd ever pay that much for our games at all. While their futuristic gaming is still around that price range. :v

And I never really see backlash of OoT. The most I've ever heard was "It's overrated, so I can't stand it". Whereas FFVII had actual flaws that people can point out left and right. Even though I liked playing it myself, it was only due to the cool character designs and being the first "3D" FF game along with an interesting skill system. But the story was kinda bland, the characters were dull (the most you ever see is Cloud going from emo to less emo?), and the grammar due to translation was pretty awful.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Posted Image

The PS1 was much more affordable than the N64. Games were and still are expensive, but some N64 (and to be fair, SNES and Genesis and other cartridge-based games) were kind of crazy expensive.

Really? OoT is a re-hashed ALttP with 3-D but WORSE, it's shorter than ALttP, it's easier than ALttP, ALttP had better bosses and dungeons and items and had a bigger and more interesting world, ALttP had more weapons, it had a more interesting story, ALttP had better and more characters, and so on... And that's not even comparing it to all the newer Zelda games, which beat out OoT pretty much in every way. FFVII, though poorly translated (common at the time), at least had more of a story than OoT's barebones "save the princess, SAVE THE WORLD." It had a ton of sidequests and mini-games and extra content, while OoT's sidequests and mini-games were...... biggorn sword..... two collect-a-thons............. fishing.

(note: I like OoT and I have never played FF7, I am just saying that there definitely are many criticisms of OoT that go beyond "it's overrated")

Posted Image

Sharky
Sharky

The Coolest Dude This Side of Coolsville

• Shy Guy
  • 30 Posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Final Fantasy 7. Metal Gear Solid. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Vagrant Story (which personally I hate).

The Playstation has it's fair share of "greatest games ever made."

While those games are held in very high regard, I've never personally seen them compared to the likes of Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and others.
Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

[image]

The PS1 was much more affordable than the N64. Games were and still are expensive, but some N64 (and to be fair, SNES and Genesis and other cartridge-based games) were kind of crazy expensive.

Really? OoT is a re-hashed ALttP with 3-D but WORSE, it's shorter than ALttP, it's easier than ALttP, ALttP had better bosses and dungeons and items and had a bigger and more interesting world, ALttP had more weapons, it had a more interesting story, ALttP had better and more characters, and so on... And that's not even comparing it to all the newer Zelda games, which beat out OoT pretty much in every way. FFVII, though poorly translated (common at the time), at least had more of a story than OoT's barebones "save the princess, SAVE THE WORLD." It had a ton of sidequests and mini-games and extra content, while OoT's sidequests and mini-games were...... biggorn sword..... two collect-a-thons............. fishing.

(note: I like OoT and I have never played FF7, I am just saying that there definitely are many criticisms of OoT that go beyond "it's overrated")

Well, that certinly makes the first I've ever heard of those then. :v
Though I don't really see OoT as a re-hash. I consider it as it's own game. And it's even considered it's own game on the timeline. And the fact that they even managed to do what they did with the game at the time was rather revolutionary, not to mention the dungeons were still amazingly done.

Edited by Slasher, 18 January 2013 - 12:20 AM.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

While those games are held in very high regard, I've never personally seen them compared to the likes of Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and others.

Super Mario 64 is only held in high regard because it was one of the very first fully 3D games; not because it's a fantastic game.

Ocarina of Time is widely considered the greatest game ever made, so I'll concede that no one compares the Playstation games to those.

I love Majora's Mask, but there are plenty of people who would say Final Fantasy 7 is a far better game.

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would argue that people don't compare OoT to others because it was groundbreaking, too. First 3-D game like that.

There's nothing about it besides "groundbreaking" that makes it hold the title "greatest game of all time" anymore.

Posted Image

Toadeh
Toadeh

Toadicus Finch

• Kremling
  • 1,029 Posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Agreed.

As someone who played Ocarina of Time several years after its release, I thought it was a fine game. But it didn't strike me as the greatest game of all time. It didn't even strike me as being the greatest Zelda game of all time wind waker 4 life. I would certainly agree that it might be one of the most influential games of all time, but that's a very different title. It needs something aside from the impressive nature of what it accomplished to be considered the best game EVER.