Photo

N64 vs PS1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, I like OoT and all, I enjoy its simplicity and the amount of world-building that you can put into it (and the fact that it is pretty much the "base" of the series), but it's pretty overrated by now. I like most of the console Zeldas that came after it more.

Posted Image

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Actually, I will still defend Ocarina of Time as the greatest game ever made. The game is certainly held in high regard because it successfully brought the series to 3D and became the standard by which 3D games are judged, but it's a great game on its own.

There are few games more memorable, and even fewer games that give players the desire to continue playing 15 years later. Replaying Ocarina of Time has become an annual ritual of sorts for me. There are many games that I adore. My love of Earthbound is no secret, nor my love of Super Metroid, or Lufia 2, or Chrono Trigger, and the list goes on. But while I try to play the games periodically, I haven't finished any of those games in the last five years.

I've finished Ocarina of Time at least twice in less than two years. For me, it's not speed running or even particularly fast. Despite the fact that I have finished the dungeons at least ten times each, there are puzzles that still stump me for a moment while I remember what's going on, I always miss a key in the Water Temple.

Even after 15 years, I've not seen everything there is to see in Ocarina of Time.

Next up, who knows how to play Zelda's Lullaby? The Song of Storms? The Song of Time? I know them all, and they are always stuck in my head. Rarely does a day go by when I'm not humming songs from a video game, and even rarer is the day when that song is not from Ocarina of Time. It could be the simple Ocarina tunes or the legendary Gerudo Valley. I know them all.

Ocarina of Time is memorable in every way, and that's what makes it such a superb game. The characters, the setting, the story, the items, the dungeons, the music - few games compare in a single department and none compare in them all.

Sure, I'll concede that some of the dungeon designs in new Legend of Zelda games are better. As far as I'm concerned, Arbiter's Grounds is the best dungeon design in the entire series, but Twilight Princess falls short in many other areas. And is it any surprise that the default "hardest dungeon ever" regularly mentioned online and, well, everywhere is the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time? It's not even difficult today, but it's supposed "difficulty" 15 years ago is legendary. It's not a poorly designed dungeon; it just requires that you explore carefully.

I'm more than willing to dethrone Ocarina of Time, but I'm not convinced that any worthy game exists in 2013.

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Well, that just means the game is dear to you. It doesn't mean that the game is objectively the greatest game ever made.

If a child played OoT today, they would probably not be as blown away as you were. I think a lot of the appeal towards the game is driven by nostalgia. It's definitely still a good game, but a lot of those feelings you describe sound like nostalgia.

Posted Image

Sharky
Sharky

The Coolest Dude This Side of Coolsville

• Shy Guy
  • 30 Posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I agree that OoT is remarkably overrated. Not in a bad way though. It's a great game, even if it really isn't for me personally.

Growing up I owned both a PS1 and and N64, and I played more games that I can go back to today and still have a ton of fun with, on the N64 than I did with the PS1.
Posted Image

someone old wich is europe

caught them all

• Rattata
  • 201 Posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

N64 cuz the pokémon stadium 1-2

anarchicCorrosivity
anarchicCorrosivity

Local Prune Juice Shop

• Cheep-Cheep
  • 58 Posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Its hard to say which I console I enjoyed more.

For me the PS1 was more enjoyable on a single player level, whereas the N64 was the center of all that is creation (if we weren't outside) when hanging out with friends. The N64 was a fantastic system when it game to multiplayer games, Mario Party holds a lot of amazing (and palm-blisteringly painful) memories with friends. However like a lot of people have already said, its library didn't quite match up in size with the Playstation, especially if you were someone like me who had *cough a special chip that let you play cough* a lot of *cough burned cough* games. But still nothing beats a good Mario Party party or getting together for Smash Bros.

caught them all

• Rattata
  • 201 Posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

HEY SOME DIDNT BURN GAMES (not me Xp)