Photo

Version 3.4.2 and a new skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

So first of all I would like to make the announcement that the forum has been "upgraded" to version 3.4.2.

Yeah yeah this happened a few days ago but I'd like to make some other announcements as well as explanations to go along with it.

Because this is a brand-new version of the forum software, some things have broke/don't look pretty; I'll elaborate. First, you may have noticed that it looks a bit different when you quote someone's post.

rwwwCgm.png

It looks much different and if I may say... "horrible" as before you got a nice text box image. This unfortunately is out of my control, but all IP Board forum users are experiencing this and are letting the guys in charge of IP Board know. There's a discussion going on at the IP Board forums about the little bugs that happened because of this new update, so hopefully they will be fixed soon.

Second, you may have noticed this if you have used the "View New Content" recently.

VBIp4uZ.png

The usernames and avatars being changed to "less-than signs" is also a known bug and is linked to the user-group colors. I can fix it so that the page will display normally, but that means everybody's colors will go away leaving the forum to appear "less-colorful" and much more bland.

A third announcement, we have a new skin! Go to the lower-left corner, hit the "change theme" button and select Classy. It may not be something super-awesome like a Pokémon, Legend of Zelda, or Mario skin, but hopefully it will serve as a much better alternative until we do get a nicer skin.

Finally, a smaller announcement, I have sorted the emoticons so they are now grouped according to their facial expression (before it seemed to be completely random). In addition to this, some old friends have returned. Welcome back Yoshi and Mr. Silly!

:yoshitounge: :yoshi: :silly:

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I actually don't mind the new quote boxes in replies, but apparently that's just me.

I love the fancy skin though, it's nice to have a change!

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Cool, the new skin is Classy! It'll hold me over till we get a Nintendo one. Looks great Mage!

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Oh yay, I was quoted in the quote example. <3

Hopefully those bugs will be fixed soon though. And nice skin, though I wish it was darker. At least I have Stylish to hold me over (Just keep the default for now at least, otherwise Stylish would screw up). :v

And those emoticons are <3

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Neat. I like the "Classy" theme.

Test. Test. Test.

The quoted text still has a box for me...

And as a side note, I thought it was worth checking: the rich text editor works correctly in IE10 now (previously, you could not press enter to create a line break).

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Oh in the classy theme, if you scroll over someone's signature, there's an 'X' on the left that like, slimes in, it's kinda cool.

hA0AZYy.png

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

The quoting thing is only really annoying if you want to edit the quote, but yeah, that's like all the time anyway.

Also, when I was at work it actually showed up as an image, which was weird.

But yay, the skin is nice. Much better than the ugly default with no forum name XD

majorasmask.jpg

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

The quoted text still has a box for me...

Did you mean while you were editing text, or after you made the post?

I found out that if you clear your browser's cache, that will reset some things which will make text boxes appear normally again.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

One other thing I wanted to mention that you can do with the new quoted-post system.

You can also double-tap enter to break a quote in two sections, so you no longer need to copy and paste somebody's quote if you want to focus your point on separate parts of their post.

The quoting thing is only really annoying if you want to edit the quote, but yeah, that's like all the time anyway.

Also, when I was at work it actually showed up as an image, which was weird. <-- if I double-tap enter here

But yay, the skin is nice. Much better than the ugly default with no forum name XD

I get this:

Also, when I was at work it actually showed up as an image, which was weird.

Two segments...

...with no effort!

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Did you mean while you were editing text, or after you made the post?

I found out that if you clear your browser's cache, that will reset some things which will make text boxes appear normally again.

Both. I saw the box in the editor, in the preview (I checked the preview to make sure it was working for real), and after I posted.

I didn't clear the cache. I guess I'm just special.

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,722 Posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Mr. Silly took leave again? I'm so glad he's back! :la:

Also I'm likin' this new theme.

Edited by Sanji07, 27 January 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Hugh
Hugh

A Mann's Man

• 6,935 Posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I've noticed that copy/pasting on the site is weird now. For instance, I copied and pasted this excerpt from my Smashography thread below:

I've been much too harsh on winter. Yes snow is a pain and the -40
weather is awful as heck, but that's all tolerable. I'd even go so far
as to say it's amusing to wake up every day seeing what the gods of
winter have in store. It is quite fun to go on the internet and see
people complaining about cold weather in their countries only to trump
them all with a "It's currently -45 with windchill, your argument is
invalid." Cross country skiing is definitely my favorite winter pastime
(that is outside). Many people would of course disagree, but what is
more fun than blazing your trail across fresh snow, trekking along snow
ridges and shooshing your way around tight corners? There is no
guidelines, no lift lines, just fun.

The normal way it should look is:

I've been much too harsh on winter. Yes snow is a pain and the -40 weather is awful as heck, but that's all tolerable. I'd even go so far as to say it's amusing to wake up every day seeing what the gods of winter have in store. It is quite fun to go on the internet and see people complaining about cold weather in their countries only to trump them all with a "It's currently -45 with windchill, your argument is invalid." Cross country skiing is definitely my favorite winter pastime (that is outside). Many people would of course disagree, but what is more fun than blazing your trail across fresh snow, trekking along snow ridges and shooshing your way around tight corners? There is no guidelines, no lift lines, just fun.

Any known reason for this?

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Just tried it for myself, and yeah this seems like it's yet another bug with the new forum software. :|

However, I did find out that if you hit the light switch to toggle pure BBCode on, you will be able to paste code with no problems at all.

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Maybe we shouldn't have upgraded to 3.4.2 so quickly? We should probably wait a bit longer to see what people say about new versions before upgrading.

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Decho, you can't just sit around your whole life wondering "what if?". Sometimes you gotta look out at the world and plunge into it with disregard and carelessness.

#YOLO

majorasmask.jpg

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Maybe we shouldn't have upgraded to 3.4.2 so quickly? We should probably wait a bit longer to see what people say about new versions before upgrading.

Part of the update was a huge security patch, so it was in my best interest to do it as soon as possible so that the forum would have the smallest risk of getting compromised.

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ah, disregard that then.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ah yeah I probably should have mentioned that as well in the OP seeing how that was one of the "biggest" new things about the new version. :silly:

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Cool, so we're tighter than the Pentagon now?

Scratch that, the Pentagon isn't all that secure. Hackers on TV talk about breaking in all the time. Let me rephrase.

I HOPE we're tighter than the Pentagon now.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,537 Posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Cool, so we're tighter than the Pentagon now?

Scratch that, the Pentagon isn't all that secure. Hackers on TV talk about breaking in all the time. Let me rephrase.

I HOPE we're tighter than the Pentagon now.

A hacker could break into anything if they wanted to, really. It's only a matter of making it harder for them to do so. But there will always be a way around everything and nothing is ever truly secure. :v

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler