Photo

Fire Emblem, Awakening

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I downloaded this game last night, it took almost 3 hours to download, probably because there would have been a lot of people downloading right off the release. I had never played a Fire Emblem game before. I have played a few strategy games, and they were never my favourite style of game. I downloaded the demo of Awakening and was hooked right away, I had to have this game.

I am now about to start the 7th chapter, I beat the first DLC map ,(I won't tell you what I got as a prize)  and I have to say that this is perfect for a beginner like me. I love that you have so many options to choose from, of course I am on normal mode and casual, I really don't like the idea of my characters dying off. I need them. :) and I want to hear all they have to say. I have reset twice, once I killed off someone I wanted to recruit.:P

FE awakening is visually beautiful, and exciting. It did not take me long to figure out how to work things and where to find information. I miss not being able to just wander in towns and on a world map, at free will, but there is so much going on and the story is really fascinating , the characters are funny, and serious in turns and are all very interesting. I know you can get married in the game, so I am really playing around with seeing who works best together. I can see it is the character's stories that drive this type of game, the game play itself is challenging, like a game of chess, and you have to really think about placement and weapons, but it is the interest in the story that keeps one going forward.

I am very glad I tried the demo and also glad I get to experience a new type of game. I may have to look at others in this series at some point.

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

So far I'm on the 10th chapter; I really love the game. I've only played one other Fire Emblem game before (I think it was on the GBA). Also pretty interesting how I hear this will be the first Nintendo game to ever feature paid-for downloadable content, so I wonder how well that will go.

Decho
Decho
  • Captain Falcon
  • 6,523 Posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

From what I've heard, the DLC is actually really good. I'm excited for it to come out.

Also, picked up my copy today. I'm excited to start it.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I want to get it, but I may be a few bucks short right now :/ oh well. I have played Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon before, so I do have experience in playing these games, so I will probably go with Classic when I pick it up, because that makes the replay value that much greater since every move counts.

2rcwyzs.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I did buy the first lot of DL maps. Only because I had spare money and not enough to get a game, well a game I want, and I have some blocks left on my SD. The good thing about downloading as I see it, is that the game should always be there waiting for you when you are ready to get it. Unlike games in the shop which can be sold out pretty quickly and you may not always be able to find a copy and if you are anything like me, I hate waiting for anything.:) I believe I can see myself playing this or the next FE on classic, I think I have a good idea of how to go about this game now and it is not as scary as I thought it would be, of course I am not playing on maniac mode or even hard:P

Posted Image

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

I think I am far enough into Awakening now to say that I Love this game (though I usually do not care all that much for strategy games). I have this little quirk. I like to level all my characters up as high as they will go in every single job class that they can be moved to. Dragon Quest is still something I am working on to achieve the ends of having everyone be 99 in all jobs.:P Crazy.

My question is, in FE games can I get by with having a good solid core of characters all achieving level 20 in all the job classes that they can do, or should I try to get All the characters I have up to level 20 in all their job classes? I find I don't use the winged horse people much and I have left my healer in the dust, she kept getting knocked off and I kept calling her useless lol. I usually team up everyone so that they are real powerhouses, or so it seems to me.

Right now my team just decimates all in their path, I imagine battles should get harder in a while, or maybe I need to play through again in a harder mode. 

Posted Image

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

What you want first is a good balance of each type of class; have everybody reach tier II or be really strong tier I, although you will find you do use certain units more than others - you want to level those up first and have them be the bulky ones.

2rcwyzs.png

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Jinzo. I think I have done really well with a main core team, I have 2 already into their second tier, or second job, and a lot are getting close to being able to jump to a new class. I am not letting anyone jump to a new class until they reach level 20. 

Posted Image

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

I usually try to keep my characters balanced in levels, though it always seems to be harder for me to do that with certain classes. And if I have two similar classes and it comes down to choosing units for the battle, I'll usually leave the higher level out.

Like if I have two people on horses or two axe-wielding classes, for example.

majorasmask.jpg

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

When I first started out, I tried to keep my team all balanced, but then my main character got married to Miriel and now it somehow turned into Miriel just teaming up with me while I go around and wreck everything. My character is a Dark Knight so he has seven movement with very high hit points and defense.

The enemies hit only about 50% of the time and even when they do, they only do zero to two damage. I use Wind and Thunder tomes which typically takes out an enemy the first engagement; my speed is high enough where I get two attacks on them. As for Chrom, he just sits back at the start of the map staying out of danger.

I did hard difficulty on classic, so I'll probably have to play through it again on the one after it (intense difficulty I think it was called).

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

Thanks Grooms, MageLief. I teamed up with Stahl and they got married I guess they are S rank and unstoppable.:P so far anyway, Chrom I teamed up with Miriel I think it is and they can take out anyone too, then there is Nowi and that cute little mage Rikken and they can take out anyone too. I think I may want to see if I can get everyone up there, but I know already my favourite characters to use. It would be nice to get all the abilities. Well thanks, great game, great fun.

Posted Image

Lugia Dragonite Guy
Lugia Dragonite Guy

Brave Frontier

• Captain Falcon
  • 7,079 Posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

Usually in Fire Emblem games you have an elite squad of 8-10 characters that you put all of your focus into. At least in Fire Emblem games that aren't called Sacred Stones, there aren't levels to grind up inbetween stages, so you have to focus on leveling only some characters as there is a limit to how much exp you can obtain. Of course, I have no clue whether there are side stages in the new game so. :v:

browneyedgirlsarekillingbill_zpsb4ee5a57

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Lugia. I may have already sort of figured that out, but, you can replay the DL maps as often as you wish and you can buy reeking boxes and allow you to spawn an enemy to battle. There are also the enemies that spawn from spot pass. While there are not as many enemies as in usual rpg games I think there are probably enough using all the mentioned methods to be able to level up quite a few characters. I have 3 now on a second job class and about 4 at level 15 or greater. 

Posted Image

WildWorld
WildWorld

The Wildest.

• Space Pirate
  • 2,501 Posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

My copy should be delivered some time next week. By the time I got around to playing the demo and realizing I have to have it, everywhere was sold out due to the shortage... so unfortunately I had to resort to eBay. I know I could have downloaded it but I really don't download full retail games anymore unless I know for sure I will want them forever (i.e. the new Brain Age and New Leaf). I made the mistake of downloading Paper Mario: Sticker Star and am still upset I can't trade it in to get anything back from that disappointment of a game.

Anyway, I'm pumped to get started with it. I really only played the GBA version (or at least that's the only one I can remember) and liked it, so that plus the demo experience has me pretty hyped for it to arrive. I love the visuals and am really into the old school turn-based combat.
3DS Friend Code: 0817 - 3915 - 9370
Posted Image

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm hopefully going to get this game today after work. I'm excited for it, especially after playing Fire Emblem for GBA and Sacred Stones for the podcast. Fire Emblem games are so addicting; I think it's because there's not really down time between fighting, so when I finish one battle, it's hard to stop when the next one is about to begin XD

I think it would be interesting for a Fire Emblem game to have breaks, however, like typical RPGs where you can roam around in towns and such.

EDIT:

fireemblem.jpg

Just bought it. Look at the rolls of fat on my cheeks/chin. Very attractive.

Edited by Grooms, 15 February 2013 - 08:59 PM.

majorasmask.jpg

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

@WildWorld  I hope you get your game soon. Grooms, wow, super happy for you.:D It is awesome. I am on chapter 17, not to mention all the side chapters. The battles are getting tricky, but I have picked up so many great people doing the spot pass battles. Even my core team is doing great. I had a bit of confusion about job classes as it is not really clearly defined, but I think I have that sorted too. What a wonderful game and so beautiful. I bought  the lastest 3 maps, though only one is actually out now, but that one is very useful :D

Posted Image

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'll probably end up buying the 3 map pack XD  It was a really good idea to have downloadable content :) I just wish we could duel friends via the internet; I don't know why they wouldn't make that a possibility.

Also, since my initial dying constantly and resetting, I've won a couple of battles and leveled up my characters enough that I'm not afraid to send them into battle anymore :D I'm on Chapter 5 now.

majorasmask.jpg

Autumn
Autumn

Sage

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,523 Posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I just finished the last chapter of Awakening a short while ago. It is an awesome game, and for anyone that has not played a FE game, that was me, I think this is probably the best one to start with. The graphics are beautiful, the battle animation is fantastic and the story is good, but the whole thing is a bit short. I could have happily played for a few more weeks. So, I am not sure what to do now. I still have two maps I bought and they are not even out yet lol. I am not sure what else one can do after the main story, it is not like Dragon Quest where you can keep getting new dungeons and trying to get your characters up to 99 in all job classes, which is what I am trying to do. If they had battle online I could see some point in trying to get stronger even, and get everyone up in all jobs and then pick a job that you liked them best in. What does one do after the end of a FE game?  I guess I could replay on a harder mode. Anyway, great game, glad I got it and will for sure get any more that show up in the future.

And on that note, lol, guess what I found, tucked way back in my game cupboard. FE Sacred Stones. I must have bought it a long time ago and put it away along with my game boy micro. So, I started the game, I have to redo a chapter cause I already let someone die:P. It is hard to play on the game boy now, the screen is so small and the whole unit so light after playing on the 3DS. But I will see how I fare with this game I found. 

Sorry same thread, I don't want to make a new one for a few words. I tried the Monster Hunters demo last night, I waited over 20 min for a download and I only played the game maybe 5 min, that was enough for me and I sure hated it.:P It felt awkward and clumsy. The character and weapon were just not smooth and the whole idea of going around just killing stuff was a bit off-putting.

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Since you've played FE games before, I'm guessing that you played on Classic difficulty, where your units permanently died right?

During your play-through, how often did you reset the game (typically due to a person on your team dying)? If you haven't already, I highly recommend playing through the entire game without resetting once. It makes the whole game a lot more fun (warning that's just an opinion of mine) and you see things in an entire different way.

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yeah I didn't like the Monster Hunter demo either. It's a shame too because I was interested in the series. 8\

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image