Photo

Fire Emblem, Awakening

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

Mimi
Mimi
  • Shy Guy
  • 35 Posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'm currently on my second playthrough of the game...I spent about...12 hours creating my own team of avatars (restarting the game over and over and saving the avatar in the logbook after chapter 3). I love my custom made team <3

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

I'm currently on my second playthrough of the game...I spent about...12 hours creating my own team of avatars (restarting the game over and over and saving the avatar in the logbook after chapter 3). I love my custom made team <3

Oh wow I need to do that sometime, make an entire team of Avatars. Even though they're crazy expensive, a couple hours in the gold-grabbing DLC map should give enough money for me to do that.

Toadeh
Toadeh

Toadicus Finch

• Kremling
  • 1,029 Posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

All right so HERE'S THE DEAL.

I've had my eye on this game for a while. Longtime fans of the series love the permadeath aspect and think that it's part of the reason the games and their stories are so great. HOWEVER, as someone who has little to no experience with this genre and will most likely be playing through on casual (or whatever the no permadeath mode is) on his first run of the game, will I be missing out on some of the Fire Emblem "experience" that has become so popular?

Basically I want this game and am curious as to whether the casual mode still provides a deep and enjoyable experience.

Also hopefully I can find a copy. Target apparently has a "buy 2 games get 1 free" deal going on right now and it includes 3DS games.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

I've had my eye on this game for a while. Longtime fans of the series love the permadeath aspect and think that it's part of the reason the games and their stories are so great. HOWEVER, as someone who has little to no experience with this genre and will most likely be playing through on casual (or whatever the no permadeath mode is) on his first run of the game, will I be missing out on some of the Fire Emblem "experience" that has become so popular?

Basically I want this game and am curious as to whether the casual mode still provides a deep and enjoyable experience.

Also hopefully I can find a copy. Target apparently has a "buy 2 games get 1 free" deal going on right now and it includes 3DS games.

Not really; many people reload their saves even when they go on classic mode with perma-death, so it's not really even true perma-death since you can just reload whenever and all of your mistakes are gone. So I'd say go ahead and do Casual, but be sure to do "Hard" mode.

Insane difficulty was meant for masochists, and Easy is just wayyyyyyyy too easy.

Mimi
Mimi
  • Shy Guy
  • 35 Posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Oh wow I need to do that sometime, make an entire team of Avatars. Even though they're crazy expensive, a couple hours in the gold-grabbing DLC map should give enough money for me to do that.

It's pretty awesome to do once...I probably won't do it again XD I just have made all of these characters in stories I write...and it's fun to give them weapons and see them wipe out their opponents XD

Grooms
Grooms

King of Contests

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,999 Posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

You should get it. Like Mage said, Casual mode basically keeps you from having to restart all the time XD Although Classic tends to make you think about strategy a little more because you don't want to have to start your battles over constantly.  Either way, buy it. I've been thinking about doing that 2 games, 1 free deal too this week, but I don't think I should be spending that much on games all at once, especially considering my backlog :/

majorasmask.jpg

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

I am a HUGE Fire Emblem fan(I've played every single game, except the Japan only ones), and I absolutely ADORE this game. I love how the battle sequences actually look like battles, instead of just two people on squares hitting each other. And the music is amazing. I hafta agree with you, @MageLief, some of those songs are incredibly awesome and my favorites as well.

I have beaten it twice already(as I have with most of the other FE games), and I presume I will be playing through it a third time. I mean there are so many different people to use for every play through. Like, my first time through, I used all the flying people, and not so much the manakete or taguel. I also didn't have anyone get married, cuz at the time I didn't know it was possible lol. But the second time, I only used two flying people, and both the manaketes and taguels. And I had pretty much everybody I used get married and have kids. I will most likely do that again, but have different couples. There is just SO MANY different scenarios you can choose from, it's amazing!

I only got the first DLC map, cuz it was free. I don't have enough money for the other ones, which sucks cuz I REALLY want them. I love that you can get DLC in this, though. It just adds to the awesomeness of FE games. I'm hoping they make one for the WiiU. That would be so awesome.

Edited by Yubba_Bubba_MAX, 27 March 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

SlasherBar2.pngBijulLT.png

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Just to chime in, I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening for a couple of weeks now and I love it. I've been playing through the game very slowly and spending a lot of time with the random battles instead of actual missions. I think I'm on real mission 11 or 12 now, but most of my team is already past Level 10 and I think 4 units are upgraded.

The absolute best feature of this game is casual mode. As was mentioned, permadeath in Fire Emblem has never really been permanent (if you expected to finish the game - I chose not to restart my first time through Fire Emblem 7...and half way through I had to start the entire game over because I didn't have enough units to win). Permadeath was nothing but frustrating: it was reaching the boss of a stage, losing one unit, and then restarting the entire mission. It was a Game Over screen right before you won. It was not fun.

Casual mode has made Fire Emblem: Awakening the best game in the series. I can pick it up, play a random battle for 20 minutes and just screw around however I want and not worry about it ruining my save file.

The random battles themselves are also a fantastic feature. Like I said, it makes Fire Emblem really easy to just play for a few minutes and then put away.

I'm sure I'll finish the game eventually, but it won't be any time soon. I'm enjoying just messing around, leveling units, and improving support between units (something I never bothered with in other games).

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

I agree with you on the random battles, they're totally awesome. But I honestly like Classic better than Casual. Cuz I like the challenge it gives me. It makes me think of how to do it differently if I lose someone. Although, yes, the part about getting to the boss and then someone dies, and having to restart the whole thing is a PAIN IN THE BAHUNKIS!! But that's the only way you can play in the other games, and although getting really far in a level with no trouble then someone ends up dying really URKS me, I can't see myself playing it any other way.

But it's great that you like playing it on Casual. And I'm sure lots of other people prefer that way, too. There are a few people that posted in this thread even, who prefer Casual to Classic. But for me, I prefer Classic, cuz that's how I learned to play Fire Emblem.

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

I was doing a run-through on Hard Casual, and I got to the 21st chapter. For this run-through I'd never reload a save and if the main character or Chrom died, I would delete the save file and start again (which happened about five times before chapter eight, once I got past eight I had a really steady party).

Anyways, on the 21st chapter, I did something I didn't mean to do and my main character died instantly, and I was like sdjkfhsdkl sdnfbsmfbsmd shjdsdsdhfhs  dsfsd NONONONONONONONONONONO.

I wussed out though and didn't delete my save because I wanted to beat the game and see the ending. :0

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

You know Mage, sometimes....it's ok to wuss out. It just depends on what you let wussing out do to you.

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

It allowed me to finish the game; because I sure wasn't going to delete a save file that had over 20 hours of play into it. :'D

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, that would not be a smart move lol

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,781 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

The main reason why I've never played Fire Emblem is because of the permadeaths. I'm too used to Pokemon's structure. 8'I

Awakening sounds fun, but my OCD would make me play as EVERYONE at least once and (attempt to) do everything....Oh and I don't like the concept of characters having children. Just because I can't stand romance in my games don't judge me. 83

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

don't judge me. 83

JUDGE!!!! JUDGE!!!! JUDGE!!!!!! XD lol

Sorry, I couldn't help myself hahahahahahahahahahaha.......*whispers* I've been laughing for too long...

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,781 Posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

JUDGE!!!! JUDGE!!!! JUDGE!!!!!! XD lol

Sorry, I couldn't help myself hahahahahahahahahahaha.......*whispers* I've been laughing for too long...

DON'T MAKE ME GET EDGEWORTH IN HERE!

You've been saying that alot....

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

DON'T MAKE ME GET EDGEWORTH IN HERE!

You've been saying that alot....

NOW SERIOUSLY, WHY WOULD I DO THAT!!!!

Only cuz it's true....

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

Ammy
Ammy

I love you, I miss you.

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,596 Posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'd say I came here to brag but difficulty was set to normal.

After discovering you can "challenge" old bosses and stuff in the wireless menu, without hesitation or thinking it through I summoned Ashnard to the field. I had just beaten chapter 11, and my Avatar was a level 3 Dark Flier.

I ended up pairing her with Chrom and bringing no one else. Despite Ashnard and his crew being level 20 Wyvern Lords somehow by herself + the pairing benefits with Chrom she managed to slay everyone on the map. I was proud of this, because she gained 8 levels out of the deal and I was trying to rush a grind to level 15 for Galeforce.

Sadly I did burn 3 Seraph Robes, and 2 Draco shields but whatever. It was worth it. Ashnard is kind of ugly though, but I guess I unlocked him at least. I feel as though this should not of been possible.

zjVHwFP.png

WunWun
WunWun
  • Waddle Dee
  • 19 Posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'm considering getting FE:A and my major question is, would you say the experience suits a cartridge or a download better? What I mean by this is, is it a game you'd want to have on hand at all times when you go out as a download, or does it work better as a cartridge. I'm from /vp/, please forgive the autism.

Bounty
Bounty

The end is nigh

• Armos Knight
  • 3,110 Posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm considering getting FE:A and my major question is, would you say the experience suits a cartridge or a download better? What I mean by this is, is it a game you'd want to have on hand at all times when you go out as a download, or does it work better as a cartridge. I'm from /vp/, please forgive the autism.

It's really all personal preference. If you download it, you can obviously re-download it again and delete it as you please.

2rcwyzs.png