Photo

Nintendo Pipeline Mobile App

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Have you guys considered having a Nintendo Pipeline app? For like, Android or Apple, something people can use to keep up with whatever's going on here when they're away from home(or their computer)?

I think it would be a great way to expand and get more people, if that's what we want. Cuz the people who have could say to their friends, "Hey, the forum I joined has this totally awesome app, check it out!" or something like that. I think it would be really kewel. I would get it, for sure. But you know, it's just a suggestion. Not saying it HAS to be done. And I won't be crestfallen if you guys say no. I'll understand.

But what do you guys think?

Edited by Yubba_Bubba_MAX, 28 March 2013 - 03:50 PM.

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

SlasherBar2.pngBijulLT.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,549 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think it would be pretty neat to have too. Assuming anyone here knows how to even make an app like that.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

What would it do? I can get on the Nintendo Pipeline just fine with my Android phone, and I even use the full version instead of the mobile skin; so if people can do this, I don't really see anything extra an application could do if the site is already fully accessible by Android/Apple.

SakuraSaturn
SakuraSaturn

If sarcasm burned calories, I'd be a twig.

• Hammer Bro
  • 1,940 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Very cool concept, but I have to agree with Mage.

And I am a loser and don't have a smartphone so I wouldn't be able to use it anyways wahhhhhhhhhhh....

hTWXg2b_zps1fbbe04e.png

Thank you, Princess Elysia for the awesome sig! ^_^

Joshua
Joshua

The Watcher

• Bulborb
  • 846 Posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Not to sound too mean, but I honestly think the idea of a website having an app, while extremely popular right now, is really dumb. In the case of the Pipeline, we already have a mobile skin that works great. It's much easier to simply develop the website to change depending on how it is viewed than it is to develop a platform-specific mobile app that does the same thing.

261excw.gif nl74m9.gif vo0jnk.png

NintendoQueen
NintendoQueen

Haaaave You Met Ted?

• Space Pirate
  • 2,482 Posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

I did think of this idea before, but just never asked. 
Maybe I should look into going on the internet on my phone and checking out the mobile skin!

:)

Ammy
Ammy

I love you, I miss you.

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,596 Posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Well there is tapatalk. It looks pricey though.

A lazy google search didn't show any software out there specific to invision power board. vBulletin and other software seems to have some options though. Though I wouldn't switch to vBulliten for such a feature or at all that's a terrible idea.

Not sure it's a high priority though. Like Mage said with better android devices and even apple products you can just use the full version. While I was traveling I was checking from my tablet for the last couple days, and it worked out quite nicely.

zjVHwFP.png

Yubba_Bubba_MAX
Yubba_Bubba_MAX

Mr Farglenaut

• Koopa Troopa
  • 621 Posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

The main reason I suggested it is cuz it would give people a faster way of getting on here, instead of having to use internet. Not that using internet is bad, but sometimes it takes FOREVER for it load and stuff. So it wouldn't look much different than using internet on your phone, but it would just provide a faster and easier way of getting on the Pipeline. Kinda like what they did with the Facebook app. Only better, cuz it'd be for the Pipeline :D

Unfortunately I don't know how to make an app, or much of anything technical for that matter, otherwise I would show you guys a rough draft, or something.

Mysig_zpsf5b3ee47.png

m0h7kRZ.png

SlasherBar2.pngBijulLT.png

Ammy
Ammy

I love you, I miss you.

• Bullet Bill
  • 1,596 Posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm sure it could be done. We probably have enough tech savvy people here we could make it work out too. There's definitely benefits to streamlined apps over not though. One of the biggest things is exposure, and they tend to work better with the touchscreen interface. I guess the biggest thing is the return would need to be justified.

zjVHwFP.png

Nathan
Nathan

Coffee Enthusiast

• Zelda
  • 5,262 Posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

The main reason I suggested it is cuz it would give people a faster way of getting on here, instead of having to use internet. Not that using internet is bad, but sometimes it takes FOREVER for it load and stuff. So it wouldn't look much different than using internet on your phone, but it would just provide a faster and easier way of getting on the Pipeline. Kinda like what they did with the Facebook app. Only better, cuz it'd be for the Pipeline :D

Unfortunately I don't know how to make an app, or much of anything technical for that matter, otherwise I would show you guys a rough draft, or something.

To be fair, even if we did have an app, internet connection would still be required. I don't usually visit the site via mobile, but when I do, I agree the mobile version of the site is very limiting and unpleasant.

Perhaps instead of creating a mobile app, the staff could optimize the mobile skin to be more functional. After this is done, if you're running iOS, you can simply save the Pipeline as a bookmark onto your Springboard (We even have a nifty little icon!) - essentially mimicking an application.

There's a chance it can even be taken further by auto-updating the icon to show when a user has a new notification. I know it's possible to auto-update web bookmark icons in iOS, though how it's done I'm not quite sure. I know it's a rather lengthy process with a lot of work arounds. Unfortunately I don't believe push notifications can be enforced through web bookmarks.

However, considering the size and reach of our forum, I don't think an actual mobile app is something that's worth the time at this point. Even the simplest of apps require a good amount of investment (both time and sometimes even monetary) that I think could be better spent elsewhere. It's something to jot down though for the future! Who knows?

Edited by Nathan, 29 March 2013 - 06:51 PM.

Posted Image