Photo

Arcade Games

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't think there's such a thing as an unbeatable high score, the point of high scores is that they're supposed to be hard to beat.

Unless you max out the scoring system. Which I've seen done before in Pac-Man.

And high scores are pointless if nobody tries to beat them. It would be excluding all the members who are not as skilled with arcade games as others are. I speak from experience with several different forums that have had arcade games.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Unless you max out the scoring system. Which I've seen done before in Pac-Man.

And high scores are pointless if nobody tries to beat them. It would be excluding all the members who are not as skilled with arcade games as others are. I speak from experience with several different forums that have had arcade games.

That's like saying that a DS/3DS forum is bad because it excludes people who don't have DSes. Or having an art forum is bad because it excludes people with little confidence. I just fail to see the sense in it, and on top of that, in every forum I've been in with arcade games, high score holders changed all of the time throughout several years, I've had completely different experiences. It was a neat event when someone's previously "unbeatable" high score is suddenly topped by a newcomer.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,548 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

That's like saying that a DS/3DS forum is bad because it excludes people who don't have DSes. Or having an art forum is bad because it excludes people with little confidence. I just fail to see the sense in it, and on top of that, in every forum I've been in with arcade games, high score holders changed all of the time throughout several years, I've had completely different experiences. It was a neat event when someone's previously "unbeatable" high score is suddenly topped by a newcomer.

Those things are brought in due to popularity or that it's new in the gaming industry and is pretty much necessary.

The arcade on the other hand only seems to be of interest to a select few. If I see more people demanding an arcade, then I would probably go ahead and get it done. Or Mage could just do it himself if he wishes to.

I already know the outcome of how it would turn out after a month of having it. But ah well.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

ALRIGHT WE SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE A POLL FOR THE ARCADE THEN.

hA0AZYy.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Meh I could go either way.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

A forum about video games that can have games and doesn't have games is just kindof weird, all I'm sayin'.

I really miss missle command, does anyone here even remember that game?

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

I loved missile command. I always found it way too easy though.

hA0AZYy.png

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I loved missile command. I always found it way too easy though.

Well, there are some different versions of it, I remember playing one where you have a limited supply of rockets per level and a constantly increasing difficulty, so that eventually you have to strategically plan out where and when to fire to get rid of those evil lines.

I miss some of those old simple but impossible games -.- anyone here ever beaten Adventure Island? it would be a lie to say yes. There are games out there that under a hundred to a thousand people have beaten, period, and that's amazing to me.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

I BEAT ADVENTURE ISLAND! I REALLY DID!

I wonder if the new one that went on WiiWare was any good.

Anyway, my game store is having a tournament soon. I wonder what it will be of though?

Anyone ever played in an arcade tournament? I used to have this shoot'em up in a skating rink my sister's went to. It would appear that this one guy I never met and me were going at it beating each other's high scores for awhile. lol

That's really the only competitive arcade thing I've done before.

Edited by Spin, 04 August 2013 - 04:33 PM.

hA0AZYy.png

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,789 Posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

There's one arcade here with a bunch of other cool stuff (skating rink, pool, etc.), but I only went in once since CiCi's was right by it. Not many games caught my attention, but it'd be cool to visit again with some friends.

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

China Cat Sunflower
China Cat Sunflower

Changing this would help

• Rattata
  • 190 Posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

I BEAT ADVENTURE ISLAND! I REALLY DID!

I wonder if the new one that went on WiiWare was any good.

Anyway, my game store is having a tournament soon. I wonder what it will be of though?

Anyone ever played in an arcade tournament? I used to have this shoot'em up in a skating rink my sister's went to. It would appear that this one guy I never met and me were going at it beating each other's high scores for awhile. lol

That's really the only competitive arcade thing I've done before.

Lol, I have never met anyone who's beaten it, I've seen a video of a japanese guy play through it save stating at the beginning of each level and it took him I think over twenty hours, and he finally got to the ending screen. I've gotten pretty far doing the same thing, but man, later on the levels become like, just barely not impossible. You have to do these weird movies at exact times in exact ways so super precisely that I've given up on a certain level after dozens upon dozens of tries. It is the most unfair platformer I've ever played.

Ghosts n' Goblins is ridiculous hard like that too, but much shorter and actually possible. Karnov is another one.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,456 Posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

I'm guessing the thing you watched was GameCenter XD

hA0AZYy.png