Photo

Archiving threads WTF

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

You know it really shouldn't be a standard. I understand the not wanting of bumping old threads, but this forum is so freaking slow and not a huge community. I just noticed this when I went to bump my Fable Discussion thread. That thread had some nice discussion in it from before, I wanted to keep the same thread because of the history, but no I couldn't and it made me sad.

So instead I just copy and pasted the entire first post to make a new thread. I never really saw the bumping here as an issue. If a newb bumps a thread from a user no longer around and you don't want that thread bumped you could just lock it. But in the case of threads that lay dormant because the topic itself hasn't had discussion in awhile and the user is still active then we should be able to bump our own old threads at the very least.

My suggestion, don't make it a forced auto archive. Just enforce the rule yourself as you see fit as a staff. It's not that much effort.

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

The thing is, I can't please everybody at once. There are both pros and cons to archiving and not-archiving threads older than six months old, and for this it's just that the pros outweigh the cons.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Well goodness Mage, I thought you were some sort of super admin. Surely if anyone, you can do the impossible and please EVERYBODY!

hA0AZYy.png

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Well if I don't auto-archive threads, then it's inevitable that someone will come along and mass-bump a whole bunch of them (which has happened a few times in the past) causing extreme annoyance.

If I do auto-archive threads, then this happens.

I'M IN A LOSE-LOSE SITUATION HERE THERE'S NO WAY I CAN WIN STOP BLAMING ME AHHHHHHHHHH

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

But think about it, who many times in the last few years has that happened? Probably less then a handful. And yeah it might be a little annoying but seriously not that bad at all. It's more annoying to have to recreate a whole thread. I almost didn't even bother and that then leads to less discussion. Six months is also hardly old. 2+ years is old, but six months is within 3 pages of topics.

It's hardly any trouble to just warn users who do break the rules rather then ending threads that could lead to further discussion. And yes users can remake these threads but more often people just say "meh whatever" and just won't bother. Some people don't even like making threads at all so they won't bother and we end up missing out in discussion that could have happened if an older thread was allowed to be used.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

You're basically saying that you'd rather get a bunch of warnings for bumping old topics yourself, instead of letting auto-archiving prevent that situation for you. I've been on top of the rules lately, so don't expect me to be lenient on these issues. Considering your left over warning points along with our new warning system, that's not very wise. Not to mention that we just end up locking bumped topics regardless of the good discussion or not. The auto-archiving prevents having to lock old topics and putting a bunch of ugly lock symbols all over. So everything remains more clean looking without those locks.

tl;dr, the auto-archiving is staying.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

And hence now I remember why I left these forums earlier this year. *sigh* I'll just be on my way again.

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

This is hardly even a real issue. We make these choices based on what's most beneficial to the forums and the community. We can't change things based off what a single person wants. It's impossible to please everybody, especially with a trivial issue.

So unless the entire community is rioting over this, it would be pointless to change it.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Leaving over something so trivial as this?

Yep, lose-lose situation for sure. I'm the bad guy no matter what uh huh.

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,768 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Would it be possible to unarchive a thread?

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

Kea
Kea

memento mori

• Ness
  • 7,888 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

To be honest I feel like people care more about "gravedigging is not allowed" (as in, every forum disallows this, so we should disallow it too) than actually caring about gravedigging. It's mildly annoying at best when it's like 2 years old but idc otherwise.

Unless other people actually care about gravedigging.

Posted Image

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Would it be possible to unarchive a thread?

Yes, threads can be unarchived. But I can't even think of a situation of a thread needing to be unarchived.

To be honest I feel like people care more about "gravedigging is not allowed" (as in, every forum disallows this, so we should disallow it too) than actually caring about gravedigging. It's mildly annoying at best when it's like 2 years old but idc otherwise.

Unless other people actually care about gravedigging.

I'm just baffled at why people would care about it so much. It's a standard rule to have and there's really no point in gravedigging when a new thread would bring more freshness into the discussion. Old discussions tend to have a lot of things already discussed where not much more can be said. If people want a thread to keep living, they could easily post in it before the archiving gets to it to keep it active.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

Sanji07
Sanji07

Nya

• Kirby
  • 10,768 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

@Slasher True. I personally don't mind that much either. 8P

Posted Image

^0w0^

Posted Image

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Exactly what Slasher and Keatos said. I've witnessed this in other forums as well. Also, if somebody wants to continue on in a discussion in which the thread is old, they are perfectly fine with creating a new thread.

Some forums even have "modified house rules". For example, one forum I go to sometimes has a moderator manually lock a thread once said thread reaches about 1,000 posts (and it doesn't matter how old or young the topic is).

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Then I'll make sure I bump my discussion threads on games I'd like to still talk about. I tend to like keeping everything in one thread and I go back an reread comments at times. There are also times I might play a game a long time after others and I go to search for a thread on the topic read what others post and might want to add a comment to a thought someone else had quite a while back. Doing so and quoting the person engages them into the discussion again.

But I guess if I want all of it back ill just have to copy the quotes and put them in the new thread.

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Just noticed this as well. If you go to the Zelda board or most of our game boards users can't post in more then half the threads on the first page because of this. Seriously how do you think that looks to new members? They will be like "wow these forums are dead and I can't post in half the threads what's up with that?" Maybe it is just me, but that just seems very unwelcoming.

And also Slasher bring up a users warning publicly is unprofessional and uncalled for. It's been well over a year since my last warning and I have not done anything disruptive at all in this community. Your response was not appropriate and could have been worded differently. You came off as an arrogant jerk when I was simply offering my opinion as well as a suggestion. There are ways you should respond to users as an admin so as to defuse situations and not to add fuel to the fire. I suggest you work on your people skills.

Spin
Spin

Absolute Zero

• Ness
  • 7,455 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I suggest a compromise and increase the archive rate/limit thing, maybe to a year? Especially considering how few topics there are on some of the boards.

Edited by Spin, 04 June 2013 - 09:21 PM.

hA0AZYy.png

Top Bunk
Top Bunk

Top Bunk

• Administrator
  • 15,542 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just noticed this as well. If you go to the Zelda board or most of our game boards users can't post in more then half the threads on the first page because of this. Seriously how do you think that looks to new members? They will be like "wow these forums are dead and I can't post in half the threads what's up with that?" Maybe it is just me, but that just seems very unwelcoming.

And also Slasher bring up a users warning publicly is unprofessional and uncalled for. It's been well over a year since my last warning and I have not done anything disruptive at all in this community. Your response was not appropriate and could have been worded differently. You came off as an arrogant jerk when I was simply offering my opinion as well as a suggestion. There are ways you should respond to users as an admin so as to defuse situations and not to add fuel to the fire. I suggest you work on your people skills.

Archived threads can still be read at least. If anything, it allows new members an opportunity to create threads of their own, instead of being unable to make any threads because hundreds of them already exist. That's just how I see it.

And my people skills are fine. I just didn't see it as an issue to bring up because you already mentioned your own warnings previously in the thread regarding the new warning system. So I was only making a statement. I apologize regardless. If you had an issue with what I said, PMing me would have been better than making a post about it.

As for a compromise on increasing how long it takes a thread to be archived, I could negotiate on that if it's really such a huge concern for people.

bZCTZfr.png

Spoiler

MageLeif
MageLeif

Tidal Trickster

• Administrator
  • 10,668 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Those dead threads shouldn't be posted in because they are dead anyways. Necro-posting is looked down in all forums, or at least the ones I've frequented in my life which is a sizable amount. It's safe to say that this is carried to nearly all forums on the internet, and there's many reasons why (if there were no reasons, then nobody would have a problem with necro-posting).

As for the game boards, I'm guessing you mean the role-playing board. Well, those are in fact dead because nobody has posted in them in a long time, so it makes no sense to bump them. Instead, making a new thread showing interest would be better.

Shulk
Shulk
  • Mario
  • 24,960 Posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

It's not really that big a deal. I just reacted defensively because of the responses in the thread. Respect, compromise or just a simple "thank you for your suggestion we will take it under consideration" would be nice.

Also keeping users in the loop. Would have been nice to read an announcement rather then randomly finding out about things after the fact. Makes the users feel more apart of the community.

@magelief actually I'm referring to the franchise boards like Zelda. The RP board is pretty obvious that they should be archived.

I do have a request thou. Is it possible to allow users to edit their posts in archive threads? I would like to repost one of my threads and it would be easier if I could copy and paste the BBC